Super Bowl Post Game Thread

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Terrell Owens almost always delivered. He had an as good or better game than Kupp just had on a broken leg in the SB. Strange example to choose.

Sorry, I was/am drunk and was just trying to come up with a cocky bastard who never brought home a ring.  Feel free to insert whomever you'd prefer to complete the analogy.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Nothing guarantees you win the whole thing. I guess we should just do nothing huh.

You’re right though. If the Rams didn’t win the Super Bowl, we wouldn’t be talking about how they won the Super Bowl. but they did and we are. Because that’s the reality.

Rams have been to 2 of the last 4 supers bowls and made sure he playoffs 4 of the past 5 years. You can all in every year and still be competitive every year. If the rams suck the next 5 years then they traded a super bowl for 5 awful years. 

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Rams have been to 2 of the last 4 supers bowls and made sure he playoffs 4 of the past 5 years. You can all in every year and still be competitive every year. If the rams suck the next 5 years then they traded a super bowl for 5 awful years. 

I would trade 5 sucky years for a Super Bowl. I’ve watched the team for 17 sucky years WITHOUT a Super Bowl already. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Joe Burrow didn’t light it up tonight. He’s a young kid, who much like the other Joe’s they kept mentioning him with, he has a voice. He didn’t play that great tonight, but he also didn’t have anyone protecting him. I don’t remember a single team winning a Super Bowl with piss poor offensive line play.

No one can convince me that these games aren’t fixed. Not all of them, but the terrible officiating in this game tonight, was a clear example of it. That Bengals TD to open the second half was egregious. I’m no fan of Jalen Ramsey, but come on. The line judge was right there. He’s got a flag, he threw one later in the game with everything on the line. It’s frustrating to watch over and over again. And Goodell sits in his suite chatting it up with Russell Wilson and LeBron, while the integrity of the game crumbles. 

I don’t understand the narrative that Collinsworth was pushing. The whole “Stanford has no one to throw too” routine got old real quick on that last 15 play drive where McVay finally realized he has the OPOY in the huddle. That kid is amazing, and deserves all the money he can get. Aaron Donald is an amazing football player. He took over that game with aggression and focused rage. He’s an impressive person, and seeing him humble and crying at the end of the game was really a powerful message for young men. You can be an absolute monster on the field, and want to play in the confetti with your children. His vulnerability in that moment is something that the league should focus on, when it tries to inspire its younger audience. 

Pretty meh game. I told my son that the Bills would have smoked the Rams tonight. I truly believe that. I have sour grapes in my mouth, and that’s unfortunate, but whatever. I know that Josh Allen would have never taken that many sacks.

Our time will come. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is handing the ball to Perine on 3rd and 1 the worst Super Bowl play call in recent history?

Nothing may ever…ever…ever…be worse than the Seahawks throwing a pass at the goal line when they could’ve just handed off to Marshawn Lynch.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Nothing may ever…ever…ever…be worse than the Seahawks throwing a pass at the goal line when they could’ve just handed off to Marshawn Lynch.

I thought so, too until I heard Pete Carroll's reasoning:  If Lynch does not get in the clock keeps running.  By throwing a low risk pass like that, it's either a TD because the Pats expect a run or its incomplete stopping the clock and giving the Seahawks more time to run more plays.

Remember Lynch is hard to bring down once he gets going but he can be stopped behind the line.

I'm not saying that I agree with carroll but his reasonong makes some sense.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I really didn't care who won, but now that's it's over, I'm glad we won't get 6 months of unbearable Burrow ball washing.

He still dragged the Bengals to their first SB appearance in 30+ years. The kid isn't going anywhere and he's already one of the best in he league. It wasn't a great night for him, but he had to come down to earth eventually.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I thought so, too until I heard Pete Carroll's reasoning:  If Lynch does not get in the clock keeps running.  By throwing a low risk pass like that, it's either a TD because the Pats expect a run or its incomplete stopping the clock and giving the Seahawks more time to run more plays.

Remember Lynch is hard to bring down once he gets going but he can be stopped behind the line.

I'm not saying that I agree with carroll but his reasonong makes some sense.

Except when it’s intercepted.... seemed like Carroll forgot the old chestnut about 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Squib kick and we win Super Bowl.  We didn’t need him.

While I agree McDermott cost the Bills and Buffalo a SB.

Von Miller on that defense and the KC game isn't even close.

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

I make that trade any day. Bills sucked for 17 years without a SB

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Funny to me to see all the criticism of Burrow, who was running for his life on every play. Even when he connected it was in the face of the rush. He stayed cool and made some big throws.

Well played game, the Rams' offense eked it out. Just barely. With Beckham they might have cruised.

Worst part was the Bengals not getting a first down at the fifty from 2nd and 1 with the game on the line! Incompletion, stuffed run (not by Mixon?), and terrible play call when your line can't protect the pass. 

Spain got burned on the game ending sack by Donald. I laughed at that.

Also, I'm sure many will disagree, but I loved the halftime show. So many legends, so many songs I listened to on walkman back in the early 90s. It was awesome to see Dre, Snoop, Mary J, Eminem, and 50 all looking and sounding good and Snoop and Dre truly represent the West Coast. It was about time for hip hop to get to be center stage at a halftime show. I liked the live instruments, little piano tribute to Tupac. Kendrick Lamar is another generation, but a genius too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Anyone surprised when the flags started flying on the GW drive? There was no way Cincinnati was going to win that game. It wasn't going to be permitted. When can we start calling this what it is? The WWE.

The flags didn't come out until the Rams got to first and goal.   

They refs had been letting them play all game.........but with the focus that was going to be on those last two minutes I don't think the refs wanted to be cited for letting the defense man-handle the Rams at the end.    The officials certainly lost their nerve to hold the hankies.......but I don't think it was a conspiracy.   The play before the first flag that was thrown was an egregious PI that they let go.   At that point I think they knew the Bengals were just going to try to grab everything and hope the flags continued to stay in the pockets.

Bengals don't have much to complain about..........the Higgins TD where he face masked Ramsey was a free 7 points.   In the prior levels of the playoffs the flag comes out there........the officials convene.......and the sky judge tells them its OPI on Higgins and that drive is dead.    Sky judge apparently wasn't an option in the SB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The flags didn't come out until the Rams got to first and goal.   

They refs had been letting them play all game.........but with the focus that was going to be on those last two minutes I don't think the refs wanted to be cited for letting the defense man-handle the Rams at the end.    The officials certainly lost their nerve to hold the hankies.......but I don't think it was a conspiracy.   The play before the first flag that was thrown was an egregious PI that they let go.   At that point I think they knew the Bengals were just going to try to grab everything and hope the flags continued to stay in the pockets.

Bengals don't have much to complain about..........the Higgins TD where he face masked Ramsey was a free 7 points.   In the prior levels of the playoffs the flag comes out there........the officials convene.......and the sky judge tells them its OPI on Higgins and that drive is dead.    Sky judge apparently wasn't an option in the SB.

This take bears repeating. Right on the money. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except when it’s intercepted.... seemed like Carroll forgot the old chestnut about 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad.

You are right on both counts but its a low risk throw.  Malcolm Butler made a great play on the ball.  I read afterward that the Pats practiced against that pattern and Butler wasn't able tp prevent a completion but learned from his mistake.

57 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

While I agree McDermott cost the Bills and Buffalo a SB.

Von Miller on that defense and the KC game isn't even close.

Maybe but the fact is we had the personnel to have the best team in the NFL on the ropes in the playoffs even with our #1 CB out.  if it wasn't for a comedy of coaching errors we easily could've won the Super Bowl without giving up a 2nd and 3rd round pick like the Rams did. 

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer at DE.  If we can somehow find a cost effective upgrade at DE in free agency than we should definitely pursue him.  If not, I'd be fine bringing back Hughes and/or Addison.  Maybe draft another edge rusher and hope Rousseau, Basham, or Epenesa have a break out season.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I care because I want this team to be a dynasty, and with Allen being 25 years old that is a real possibility. I advocated for signing OBJ mid-season. I would trade a 1st for Danielle Hunter if we could. I just don't want us to sacrifice the team 2-3 years from now to go championship or bust right now. All those resources the Rams gave up didn't make them a dominant team. They weren't the favorite to win it all heading into the postseason. All of that sacrificing the future to win the Super Bowl by the skin of their teeth. That isn't an argument for that team building strategy. If the Bengals had won does that mean o-line talent doesn't matter? No, it would just mean that a team with a bad o-line won the Super Bowl. So a team that mortgaged their future won the Super Bowl. There are other ways to win a championship and still be in position to win another one for the next 5 years after that. That's what I want the Bills to do.

When it comes to wether a team will or will not return to a Super bowl is a tangled web to untangle. Sooo many variables can factor in...say like injuries, a draft pick doesn't live up to his hype  (Cody Ford comes to my mind) or a free agent sucks....... just failed coaching decisions..all those kinds of things have happened and overcome..right? ....so my point is a Bills dynasty is built with the linchpin piece QB and then strive to make each position better than the previous years.  Keep the pipeline of developmental guys coming in is Key. .Such monumental  personnel decisions are not easy. Who we could have drafted, should have etc. are crazymaking questions for me,  We all hope that the coaches learn from past errors. And McBeane, I really pray our scouts are up to snuff moving forward. ....Bottom line for me is all this talk of the future while interesting ..it contains NO certainties, no givens. So much change happens. I dunno. Maybe prognosticating just isn't my bag. Just a few thoughts mate.

m

Happy for Aaron Donald, a legend of the game.  Couldn't care less about Stafford.  It's like saying, "finally the long-awaited ring for Kirk Cousins! so deserving!"

Satisfied with the Rams win because it might send a message to McBeane since the Snead/McVay partnership in L.A. started the same season the McBeane partnership started in Buffalo.  Two Super Bowl appearances, including a win for Snead/McVay.  This helps keep McBeane humble hopefully, lets them know their poop does stink.  

6 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

My hot take: This was the last SB Joe Burrow has ever played.

This isn't really a bold prediction considering how hard it is to get there.  Will Josh ever get there, with McD as his coach?

“Is handing the ball to Perine on 3rd and 1 the worst Super Bowl play call in recent history?”

NOT handing it to Marshawn Lynch is!

And ONLY because it was the SB, does it not pale in comparison to 13 seconds of infamy- the WORST PLAYOFF HC effort in the history of the NFL! 

***** YOU, McClapper!

Josh should have been carrying the SB trophy through the airport to a greeting of 100k wild, drunk/ stoned Bills Fans!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.