Aaron Donald may retire if Rams win SB?

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

$100 million earned. Easy TV money waiting. Go out on top? Definitely.

I don't know how these guys do it post 30 years old with tens of millions in the bank.

Many don't have the tens of millions in the bank as they spend it like it is water coming out of a never ending well. Not saying he doesn't but many spend spend spend. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rodney Harrison just said on the pregame 

Could lose a lot more than just him Stafford & Whittworth could go out on a high note too I even heard talk of the coach possibly too because he's getting married but hinted probably not in his interview after then maybe even OBJ seeing his injury history & Miller too he has 2 SB's the Rams could be totally different next season !!

Just now, teef said:

i'm not buying it either.  not that it couldn't happen, but i think the game is much harder to walk away from than people think...especially at 30.  that being said, if his body is telling him it's over, time to move on.

Didn't Barry Sanders retire while he was still in his prime?

20 minutes ago, T master said:

Could lose a lot more than just him Stafford & Whittworth could go out on a high note too I even heard talk of the coach possibly too because he's getting married but hinted probably not in his interview after then maybe even OBJ seeing his injury history & Miller too he has 2 SB's the Rams could be totally different next season !!

If Stafford goes and I was McVeigh, i certainly would consider moving on, taking a relatively easy job as an announcer.  I dont think he wants to enter QB hell unless he thinks  he can magically snag Rodgers of Watson as they have little capital or draft picks to use.

All these super young guys who have made tons of $$ and want to retire early. I guess I can see why. Save the wear and tear on the body (or mind if you're a coach).

the only guy who doesn't want to retire is going to be 45 when the next season starts, and seems to be determined to play until he suffers a horrific injury or just looks like the ghost of Big Ben this past season. 

if he retires this soon im putting (ahead of) in the same group and justin smith and dan hampton.  two guys who just brought a wrecking ball from snap number 1 in the nfl and just impacted the game in in an almost unfair way.

there are and have been lots of great DTs in the NFL, but few could just make basic plays offenses regularly run become useless.  

3 hours ago, teef said:

i'm not buying it either.  not that it couldn't happen, but i think the game is much harder to walk away from than people think...especially at 30.  that being said, if his body is telling him it's over, time to move on.

What does Donald have left to accomplish though when you really think about it.

He's a guaranteed first ballot HOF with multiple accolades with the SB championship being the icing on the cake. Even if he does walk away today many will look at him as one of the best DT to ever play the game, if not the best ever.

A lot of these guys are smart enough to know that once you hit 30 it's not worth the risk of long term health issues and I could see why he would want to leave now and raise his family.

Aaron Donald is the most dominant defensive player I've ever seen.  Lord knows what his body is telling him after wreaking havoc at the highest level all these years.  

Early retirement is a little surprising, but considering the current climate of valuing one's time and health, not really.  $100 mill in career earnings with nothing left to accomplish.  Why not?

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

All these super young guys who have made tons of $$ and want to retire early. I guess I can see why. Save the wear and tear on the body (or mind if you're a coach).

the only guy who doesn't want to retire is going to be 45 when the next season starts, and seems to be determined to play until he suffers a horrific injury or just looks like the ghost of Big Ben this past season. 

Yes wear and tear and the fear of CTE.

Get your money and get out.

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

What does Donald have left to accomplish though when you really think about it.

He's a guaranteed first ballot HOF with multiple accolades with the SB championship being the icing on the cake. Even if he does walk away today many will look at him as one of the best DT to ever play the game, if not the best ever.

A lot of these guys are smart enough to know that once you hit 30 it's not worth the risk of long term health issues and I could see why he would want to leave now and raise his family.

he's certainly doesn't need to prove anything to anyone at this point, so i agree with what you're saying.  i'm just wondering if he's mentally ready to stop playing a sport that he's played his entire life.  it's his identity, and if he feels healthy, he might just not be there yet.  i think some people just have difficulty having that much time on their hands at a very young age.  

17 hours ago, dje85 said:

Many don't have the tens of millions in the bank as they spend it like it is water coming out of a never ending well. Not saying he doesn't but many spend spend spend. 

I could be wrong, but everything I've ever seen on Donald says he is at least decent with his money. Seems like a reasonable human being.

• Like (+1) 1

First, it's McVay. Literally the easiest of the spelling possibilities. No need for extra letters folks :D

That said, the Rams could lose a lot of folks to retirement if they so decided.

Whitworth is almost a certainty.

McVay at Head Coach.

Aaron Donald and Von Miller.

Matt Stafford.

Weddle is going BACK to retirement. I have to imagine he is fine trading the torn pec for a Super Bowl ring.

Hekker is getting up there, but punters can go to 40.

Still a pretty decent list, and I wouldnt blame any of them. But I think Whitworth is the only one that actually retires.

On 2/13/2022 at 6:11 PM, Dopey said:

30 years old. Rich as can be. Reached the ultimate goal in professional sports life. Go out on top. Why not? 

Leaving ten$ of million$ of dollar$ on the table would $ting? Is he willing to walk away while he’s one of the very best players in the league, or is he just looking for more dollars.   🤷‍♂️

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t begrudge him either way. If I had to guess, he’d like a little more cash. How they can pay everyone and sustain it is a serious question in my mind. I’m no cap wizard, but it seems like a real challenge long term. BUT, they did all get their ring. 

22 hours ago, Malazan said:

I think people underestimate how much the way of life becomes something you can't give up easily. I think a lot of players would be better off if they could let go and stop earlier. 

I also think you need to be wired a certain way to make it to the top. Guys who are ready to retire because they made enough cash, aren’t the types who reach the top of their profession. 

6 hours ago, teef said:

i don't remember his age, but it was definitely relatively "early" in his career.  it doesn't happen often though barring medical issues.

He also played for the Lions. That has to be a factor. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.