Aaron Donald may retire if Rams win SB?

YoloinOhio

he said when he entered he planned to play 8 years in NFL and retire.

so why did he sign contract into and through 2024? year 11 ???

and now he wants an extension?? To kick in in 2025? year 12 !! 🤣 🤣WTH, is he on glue?

Edited by cba fan

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

and now he wants an extension?? To kick in in 2025? year 12 !! 🤣 🤣WTH, is he on glue?

The answer to both of your questions "why did he sign?" and "what is he on?" is the same - A lot of money. 

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lets do it Aaron. Stick to your guns! At least until week 2

I believe I am right in saying his last two holdouts DID in fact result in him missing week 1. 

EDIT: I am half right. His 2017 holdout did cause him to miss week 1 (when he was holding out over having to play on the 5th year option). His 2018 holdout he did end just before the regular season (but held out the whole of camp) but he didn't have a sack that year until week 4. Even if he plays week 1 a holdout that lasts through camp likely reduces his week 1 effectiveness. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2022 at 3:47 AM, Chicken Boo said:

...and I am 38 years old.  I don't make these claims lightly.  Donald is that great.

LT and Reggie White were more dominant.  You could make the case for Bruce as well.  

11 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

If you're him, and you see the way their checkbook has been paying EVERYONE, yes you get yourself a fat deal. He's got a family and charities, he wrote a huge check to Pitt for a facility (or maybe something else). If they had money to pay everyone else, hard to tell best player in all of football NO

I’m tired of the best player in football argument.  Would you trade Allen or any of the top 10 QB’s in the league for Donald?  QB’s will always be the best players in the league.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, cba fan said:

Said he is only playing to win another SB now...

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I’m tired of the best player in football argument.  Would you trade Allen or any of the top 10 QB’s in the league for Donald?  QB’s will always be the best players in the league.  

I think that confuses "best" with "most important." That is why I tend to distinguish the best player arguments into Quarterbacks and non-Quarterbacks. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

LT and Reggie White were more dominant.  You could make the case for Bruce as well.  

I have no problems giving them their due, but Donald is either double or triple teamed on near every play or he's going to wreck shop.  Much love to Bruce, but Donald would never be rendered as ineffective as Bruce was in 4 Super Bowls.  

Don't confuse important player with best player.  If I had a franchise, I'd take Matt Stafford over Aaron Donald, as the QB position is the most important one to fill.  That doesn't mean Stafford is the better player. 

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

With the shape he is in you just know Vince McMahon would love to sign him to the WWE if he wants to retire from the NFL.

A fraction of the money and just as much wear and tear? If money and/or health are his motivating factors behind retirement he’d be better sticking to football in both aspects

6 hours ago, Greg S said:

With the shape he is in you just know Vince McMahon would love to sign him to the WWE if he wants to retire from the NFL.

The only way he'd ever end up doing that is if he really, really wanted to. And even then he'd probably only do some guest appearances/matches as opposed to becoming a full time guy. He'd be making way less money with a much higher margin for injury and a shitload of even more wear and tear on the body. The biggest names in wrestling combined probably don't even make what he does in a year playing ball. 

I won't be surprised if in the near future here the trend will be retiring early. Some of these dudes, once they get that bag and fulfill that contract and then bounce or get the bag and then a title and bounce. I just think this new generation coming up won't have as many guys who play for ten or more seasons. I mean, who could blame anyone if they can step away from football not only with their health but also a pile of money and a championship ring all at the ripe old age of 30 or 31? That's probably the dream for some of these guys. Get in, get paid, get a ring, get out. 

Edited by blacklabel

On 2/14/2022 at 9:48 AM, Greg S said:

Didn't Barry Sanders retire while he was still in his prime?

He was 31. Selfishly I was so disappointed about this because he was so great to watch. I really thought he would come back a year or 2 later. His body, his life, but man I miss watching him. Plus his humility after scoring. Class all the way! 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

He was 31. Selfishly I was so disappointed about this because he was so great to watch. I really thought he would come back a year or 2 later. His body, his life, but man I miss watching him. Plus his humility after scoring. Class all the way! 

Barry was my guy growing up. He definitely would've had the rushing record had he kept playing but he was just sick of losing with the Lions. He also felt like the front office never did enough to build a talented roster and after nine years of that he said aiet I'm out. I wonder what the number would be on his overall rush yards if the negative plays were taken away. As awesome as he was, he's also the all time leader in negative rushing yards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Barry was my guy growing up. He definitely would've had the rushing record had he kept playing but he was just sick of losing with the Lions. He also felt like the front office never did enough to build a talented roster and after nine years of that he said aiet I'm out. I wonder what the number would be on his overall rush yards if the negative plays were taken away. As awesome as he was, he's also the all time leader in negative rushing yards. 

Fair point, but how many less yards would he have had if he didn't break 1st, 2nd, 3rd....tackle etc...? Or how many more yards if he had good teams, or a great line? He was definitely an enigma. He personified home run threat RB. We can agree on that I think.

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Derrick Thomas doesn't belong on that list.   He didn't play any run defense.   Literally got benched,  in his prime, against the Bills in the 1993 AFC Championship game in favor of an extra run defender.    He was just a pass rusher.

"Just a pass rusher"?  You mean just one of the greatest pass rushers of all time who had 126.5 sacks in just 11 seasons, and holds the most sacks in a game (7) record.  To say he doesn't belong in that list is silly.  He averaged 11.5 sacks per season for 11 seasons before his tragic death.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Splitting hairs about a loose definition. Do I think AD is a better DT than Josh Allen is a QB, yes, for now I do.

By your same terms do I have to say Tom Brady is the greatest athlete of all time? NFL QBs have harder jobs than bball players or hockey players, yet Brady is not the greatest athlete of all time. Jordan or Gretzsky gets it.

Same idea.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Usually I feel bad for the Lions and cheer them on for a cool fan base.... but when you remind me how they wasted Barry's career, and refused to trade Calvin (did Barry ask out too b4 retire)..... for an organization theyre right where they belong. 

Wonder if calvin/Barry were sick thinking 'what-ifs' after seeing Stafford get his trade and win a Chip

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

"Just a pass rusher"?  You mean just one of the greatest pass rushers of all time who had 126.5 sacks in just 11 seasons, and holds the most sacks in a game (7) record.  To say he doesn't belong in that list is silly.  He averaged 11.5 sacks per season for 11 seasons before his tragic death.  

Did you see him play in his prime?

No, you did not.

He was more of a rich man's Cornelius Bennett........he was unstoppable initially........his initially just lasted 4 seasons instead of 2......and then people figured out they could just run at him and his impact wasn't the same after that.    Lawrence Taylor never got benched in the playoffs because he wouldn't play run defense.   Bruce Smith played most of his career with 2 gap run responsibility in an odd front.    Reggie White was a strong side DE.   

Thomas is a deserving HOF'er..........but there is a difference between a HOF'er and "this guy was arguably the greatest".    You can't say that about Thomas.   You act like his sack per season production was Babe-Ruth-esque..........Kevin Greene and Jack Youngblood averaged more(and Youngblood did it in mostly 14 game seasons).

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did you see him play in his prime?

No, you did not.

He was more of a rich man's Cornelius Bennett........he was unstoppable initially........his initially just lasted 4 seasons instead of 2......and then people figured out they could just run at him and his impact wasn't the same after that.    Lawrence Taylor never got benched in the playoffs because he wouldn't play run defense.   Bruce Smith played most of his career with 2 gap run responsibility in an odd front.    Reggie White was a strong side DE.   

Thomas is a deserving HOF'er..........but there is a difference between a HOF'er and "this guy was arguably the greatest".    You can't say that about Thomas.   You act like his sack per season production was Babe-Ruth-esque..........Kevin Greene and Jack Youngblood averaged more(and Youngblood did it in mostly 14 game seasons).

I did watch him in his prime, he was actually one of my favorite players.  He’s an all time great, literally one of the best pass rushers to ever step on a field.  Hence the HOF worthiness.  

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I did watch him in his prime, he was actually one of my favorite players.  He’s an all time great, literally one of the best pass rushers to ever step on a field.  Hence the HOF worthiness.  

You should have stayed a Chiefs fan instead of jumping teams.........past few seasons must have been extra tough for you.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.