Aaron Donald may retire if Rams win SB?

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

If he's still interested in playing and we could swing his salary somehow, I'd give up 2 first rounders plus for that beast. If the Rams were looking to save money and gain picks.

He's only 30. IF he wants to play and be closer to home in PA, trade 2 first round picks to the Rams and consider having an unblockable monster at DT next to Ed Oliver for the next 3-4 years a great deal. 

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Aaron Donald is the most dominant defensive player I've ever seen.  Lord knows what his body is telling him after wreaking havoc at the highest level all these years.  

Early retirement is a little surprising, but considering the current climate of valuing one's time and health, not really.  $100 mill in career earnings with nothing left to accomplish.  Why not?

These comments should always be followed with: "and I am X years old"....

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

...and I am 38 years old.  I don't make these claims lightly.  Donald is that great.

WEO has been around before there was even an nfl.

He's got stories about pacos Bill and Paul Bunyan that will blow you away.   Don't even get me started about Babe the blue ox.

• Haha (+1) 7

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's a great player.  But you're too young.

Better was Lawrence Taylor, for one...

I don’t doubt it.  That's why i phrased it, "Best I've seen".

I don't count my recollection of LT because I was too young to really remember. 

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

Donald is a HOF player with every single accolade you can imagine for a defensive player now including a ring. At 30 he I had nothing left to prove. I wouldn’t be shocked if this is more of a Gronk situation where he takes a year off as opposed to fully retires. And yes I know Gronk retired to avoid a trade to the Lions but Gronk also had injury troubles he needed to rest up too. 

I think Donald comes back for one more season at the very least to defend the title but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him retire in a year or two.

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Donald is a HOF player with every single accolade you can imagine for a defensive player now including a ring. At 30 he I had nothing left to prove. I wouldn’t be shocked if this is more of a Gronk situation where he takes a year off as opposed to fully retires. And yes I know Gronk retired to avoid a trade to the Lions but Gronk also had injury troubles he needed to rest up too. 

I think Donald comes back for one more season at the very least to defend the title but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him retire in a year or two.

I know he is set for life financially ( assuming he is smart with his money) but he will be in line for another massive contract. Hard to walk away from that. If health issues are starting to become a concern or wanting to spend more time with the family then I could see walking away. Aside from those 2 things I can't see him retiring.

If I missed where someone specifically referenced how much money he is set to make as a commentator or in other pursuits, then I am sorry.

However, he is set to make 14 plus million dollars next year, and 19 million more the year after.  

If he walks away now he is a HoF...but a HoF that nobody is going to pay if he needed for some reason to comeback at 35 to play.

If he enjoys it and they still are paying him what he feels he deserves then there is no reason for him to stop.  

These guys have only so many years to be able to do this and truly set themselves to not have to worry about anything more for them or their families.

...but when its over it is over.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's a great player.  But you're too young.

Better was Lawrence Taylor, for one...

Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas. Donald is likely the best IDL of all time though. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lets do it Aaron. Stick to your guns! At least until week 2

He will be at peace…..when they show him the money. 

That’s just how the game is played. I’ll be SHOCKED if he doesn’t keep playing and raking in the ca$h. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, H2o said:

Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas. Donald is likely the best IDL of all time though. 

Derrick Thomas doesn't belong on that list.   He didn't play any run defense.   Literally got benched,  in his prime, against the Bills in the 1993 AFC Championship game in favor of an extra run defender.    He was just a pass rusher.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lets do it Aaron. Stick to your guns! At least until week 2

I haven’t paid any attention to this Donald/Rams situation, but he still has 3 years left on his current contract.

He’s not willing to play unless he gets a new deal? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-tackle/

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I haven’t paid any attention to this Donald/Rams situation, but he still has 3 years left on his current contract.

He’s not willing to play unless he gets a new deal? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/aaron-donald-14422/

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-tackle/

If you're him, and you see the way their checkbook has been paying EVERYONE, yes you get yourself a fat deal. He's got a family and charities, he wrote a huge check to Pitt for a facility (or maybe something else). If they had money to pay everyone else, hard to tell best player in all of football NO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.