Why are people always talking pass rusher?

Marvlevydraftdaygenius

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem is, that's still true after the Bills

-had the highest spending on DL in 2019, 2020

-2nd highest spending on DL in 2021 (to the Chiefs)

-spent 2 1st round and 2 2nd round picks on DL in the last 3 drafts

-signed $76.5M worth of FA contracts on DL in 2020

It's an enormous investment of resources on DL for minimal ROI

Yep.  Groot, Oliver, Calais Campbell, and Chandler Jones. With Basham, Epenesa, Zimmer, and 4th round 1 Tech as backups. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem is, that's still true after the Bills

-had the highest spending on DL in 2019, 2020

-2nd highest spending on DL in 2021 (to the Chiefs)

-spent 2 1st round and 2 2nd round picks on DL in the last 3 drafts

-signed $76.5M worth of FA contracts on DL in 2020

It's an enormous investment of resources on DL for minimal ROI

Yes, it's a problem for sure. But it shows that Beane knows it and is trying to address it. He has struck out so far, but he needs to keep swinging. It is a major need.

I am wondering if scheme is part of the problem. Don't rotate so much. Let the starters get into a groove and set up the olinemen.

1 minute ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Huh. 

Cincy was 23rd in rushing yds per game and Rams were 25th. 

Not only that, but we were #6 in the league in rush yards while being 13th in rushing attempts.

Allen's pocket time is listed as 8th at 2.4 sec

24th for pressure %

Hard to tell with Allen because he extends plays so often and so long, but while I wouldn't give our OL kudos, I wouldn't say we lacked one either, especially toward the end of the season.

There were some games where our OL was a sieve, I feel that did have to do with who was playing and where

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes, it's a problem for sure. But it shows that Beane knows it and is trying to address it. He has struck out so far, but he needs to keep swinging. It is a major need.

I am wondering if scheme is part of the problem. Don't rotate so much. Let the starters get into a groove and set up the olinemen.

It's for sure that part of the problem is McDermott/Frazier's strong committment to a DL rotation.  It means they are committed to paying 8-9 starter-quality guys, which may mean they have the same expenditure as committing to 2 high quality guys and 2 studs.

It may also be a factor for studs like TJ Watt, Miles Garrett, and Nick Bosa who play close to 80% of the snaps - a guy who only plays 45-50% of the snaps like Addison is never going to rack up the same numbers (note, not saying Addison = Bosa), which may be a reason some of the top DL studs might not want to come here

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/13/2022 at 8:41 AM, Beast said:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sacks-per-game

Buffalo ranked 12th overall in sacks and those numbers down thebstretch were particularly impressive.

The Bills also pressured the heck out of Mahomes but he was able to escape that pressure much the way Allen escaped KC's pressure.

So, really, the both of you are wrong.

And that he doubles down is what makes him a rube at least the draft day genius guy bailed out… , 😂

On 2/13/2022 at 6:41 AM, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

The problem with the Bills is the one who calls the plays,  Frazier never calls stunts or dials up innovative blitz packages.  We could have Bruce and Reggie  on the line and still have problems sacking the Qb but when McDermott pulls the playbook there seems to be no problem sacking the Qb.

I think if McDermott had his way Frazier would be gone, I think Terry and Kim are forcing Frazier on McDermott.  

The big problem with the Bills line is the Defensive Tackles they just don’t have the size and the leverage to have opposing Qb’s worrying about the collapsing of  the pocket and  on first and second downs giving running backs the ability to get 5 to 6 yards a play or  just left  running freely in the secondary aka a lot of Taylor’s runs when we played the Colts. 

So you are telling me that White and Bruce couldn’t get pressure without Blitzes?  That they couldn’t win their one matchups and get pressure with 4?  I seriously think you need to go back and watch Bruce and White. 

On 2/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, JayBaller10 said:

Need a DE like Maxx Crosby. Dude plays right around 100% of the snaps (including 82 in a game this year) and is just relentless on almost every single one. 
Anyone remember what percentage of snaps Bruce took in his prime?

That guy this year is Cameron Thomas from San Diego State. I hope we draft him. 

On 2/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, JayBaller10 said:

Need a DE like Maxx Crosby. Dude plays right around 100% of the snaps (including 82 in a game this year) and is just relentless on almost every single one. 
Anyone remember what percentage of snaps Bruce took in his prime?

I don't think it was tracked back then but I can't recall him ever being off the field unless it was a blowout, training camp or he was holding out.    If it wasn't 100%, it was damn near close.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.