Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Chiefs had 2 extra possessions.

Bills lost coin flip.......received the ball to start game and Chiefs finished the half with the football(missed FG).     Even

Chiefs got second half kickoff and finished with ball.   +1 Chiefs

Then the OT possession. +1 Chiefs

Yup and had one less punt.  Punting 4 times vs that team is too much.  Add weapons and make it so we rarely ever punt.  Too tough to build a sustainable monster D, even when you have great pass rushers.  

The rams had to play terrible Cardinal team that wasn’t even playoff worthy at the end of the year.  They had to play a super banged up Bucs without several players.  They had to play Jimmy G in the championship game after losing to them twice already.  Tough to beat a team 3 times.  Then the bungels.  One of the easier runs to the SB imo.  

they had a fierce pass rush, but we have no way to recreate what they have.  There’s no way to acquire a player the caliber of Aaron Donald.  Floyd and Miller are really good….. but Donald is the reason that D gets stops. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Thing is.........we've been hearing how they weren't going to be able to sustain what they are doing since 2017..........and 5 years later they win the SB.........and figure to be a favorite in a conference that lost Brady and maybe Rodgers in 2022.

6 years of being in contention in the NFL when you didn't draft your own stud QB.............that's a LONG time in the NFL.    

And less draft picks means more opportunities for free agents or low cost "culture change" trades to join a Rams team where their skillset can be better used............while other teams are taking their lumps developing picks with their fingers crossed that they get 1-2 high production years out of them before they have to pay or let them walk.

If 6 other teams were taking the Rams approach..........I'd be inclined to say that supply wouldn't meet demand.........but that has not been the case........and the Rams have taken advantage of a market inefficiency to this point.  

Agree with all of this but it should be pointed out the Rams have been better than anybody at finding steals in day two and three of the draft over that time period too.  Almost half their starters on offense and defense are day two or three picks since McVay got there.  That's obviously going to need to continue.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The Rams basically traded away their future for a super bowl now 

The roster is not built to last long.. and they're going to be losers pretty quickly.. I'd be willing to bet they don't win another one.. they got it but they are not set up well for the future

Would you want to trade 10-15 years of being super bowl contenders.. for a four year window that is basically closed?  

I think Josh is going to get us to a lot more than one if we manage our roster correctly

The packers colts saints and a few other teams with elite QB probably thought they would win more then one super bowl. Or Dan Marino never going back, you do what you can every year to win one, I mean let’s win one super bowl first before we talk about not trading picks so we can win 3. 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I’ll be happy with just one in my lifetime 

Thank you everyone that thinks we’re Destin to win 3 Super Bowls if we just draft right, they better ask the saints colts with Manning and a few other teams with elite QB play over the years. Please just give me one I’m 45 lol 

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Agree with all of this but it should be pointed out the Rams have been better than anybody at finding steals in day two and three of the draft over that time period too.  Almost half their starters on offense and defense are day two or three picks since McVay got there.  That's obviously going to need to continue.

Yeah I discussed that in an earlier post in the thread............I think the Rams approach has been that they don't view the draft as a place to address needs...........they always figure they can find a pro player to patch a need if necessary.

As a team gets a better roster I think most tend to start reaching for positions that make them look more balanced on paper.    We've literally seen that with Beane and his compulsion to add a tackle leading to the selection of Cody Ford.

I don't think it's a surprise that early in re-builds we often see some great drafts.........like Donahoe's first draft or even the results of the 2017 draft more recently...........because when you need EVERYTHING you end up drafting for quality of player over need.

That's when drafting is easy.

The skill is doing it when your salary cap gets tight and you are tempted to fill needs with rookies.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Some head scratching series where Josh barely touched the ball contributed to that, but agree with your premise. Keep stacking offense…. I think they’ll attack the offensive line this offseason, but I feel they’ll put WR on the back burner behind the defense IMO. 

I do agree that it might be best to "stack the offense" generally speaking. However, if this team is going to invest majorly into the defense a pass rusher to disrupt other QB's I think a pass rush really is the best way to play defense in the modern NFL and the Bills do lack a dynamic pass rusher. I wouldn't mind a Hunter trade personally but if the Bills want to stack up the offense that might make more sense. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those guys were already good football players.  Just not in ideal situation 

Sure it might have been good foresight to pick up a run stuffer like Robinson.. but they didn't develop him..  Floyd always had talent just not consistency

Just like when the bills picked up Jordan Phillips.. he was supremely talented going back to Oklahoma.. the dolphins just didn't use him right

McDermott identified a player and put him in the right fit where it let him shine.. like it's possible with most NFL players

The Rams have been good at that and they're going to continue to need to be because they don't have picks 

3 picks in the top 3 rounds in the last 2 years not a sustainable winning formula no matter what... I think in 3 years they're going to be in trouble

in three years they will have 65% roster churn like anyone else. The reason they won’t be great is Stafford will be gone. But if they have a ring, 2 appearances… 

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

in three years they will have 65% roster churn like anyone else. The reason they won’t be great is Stafford will be gone. But if they have a ring, 2 appearances… 

Yeah........roster churn and the time to develop players undermines many a plan.

The Rams have beaten the performance odds by trading high picks to fill premium positions with proven stars who step right in and produce at a star level.

Years ago I had a discussion on here with @Kirby Jackson and we came to a statistical conclusion that you have about a 15% chance of finding a franchise QB when you draft one in round 1.     I think that % has since improved.........but that still presumes that you will be in position to select one.......which is less likely if you are a successful team.

So the Rams trading away picks for Stafford...........that was a major system beating move...........they not only got him for much lower risk but they also didn't have to waste any time developing him.

And when Stafford retires.........they then soon have the financial freedom to sign or acquire another high end talent at the position.........they aren't grappling with a 5th year option or long term extension of a former high pick.

The key though is that supply and demand has been in the Rams favor...........other teams are strictly adhering by the traditional model or just dabbling with swapping picks for players.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:15 PM, Estro said:

Danielle Hunter, DE, Minnesota Vikings is a perfect trade candidate for the Bills this offseason:

1. He's one of the best DE's in the league.

2. The Vikings have serious cap issues.

3. 27 years old, so plenty of shelf life

4. Has 2 years, $25.5M left (A STEAL!)

5. Injuries might motivate Vikings to deal

6. Bills in desperate need of elite DE

& the biggest one of all:

7. Vikings save $22M in space if traded.

We don’t have a desperate need.  5th in pressures, 10th in sacks.  We aren’t desperate by any means.

Would he be an upgrade, sure…just saying people who keep saying we are desperate are grossly over exaggerating the situation.  

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those guys were already good football players.  Just not in ideal situation 

Sure it might have been good foresight to pick up a run stuffer like Robinson.. but they didn't develop him..  Floyd always had talent just not consistency

Just like when the bills picked up Jordan Phillips.. he was supremely talented going back to Oklahoma.. the dolphins just didn't use him right

McDermott identified a player and put him in the right fit where it let him shine.. like it's possible with most NFL players

The Rams have been good at that and they're going to continue to need to be because they don't have picks 

3 picks in the top 3 rounds in the last 2 years not a sustainable winning formula no matter what... I think in 3 years they're going to be in trouble

Jordan Phillips just got lucky for a second because he was allowed to be an undisciplined MF for his bit here an got his but now he's worthless an the rest of the league knows it.

15 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Jordan Phillips just got lucky for a second because he was allowed to be an undisciplined MF for his bit here an got his but now he's worthless an the rest of the league knows it.

And if he stayed here he would have been a productive player 

It's all about scheme fit in the NFL 

It wasn't luck that he had an elite first step off the Ball, and Sean let him play an aggressive three technique 

Ed Oliver wouldn't be a fit in a lot of schemes.. he said it himself he owes his career to Sean McDermott and the scheme that he was put into 

There are a million examples of guys playing good in one scheme and not another

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I live in LA, they haven’t been mortgaging their future for 6 years.  They didn’t start trying to go all in now vs their future until 2 to 3 years ago. 

And sorry, they shouldn’t have even been in the SB.  Stafford threw it away down 2 scores in the fourth but Tartt dropped the easiest interception of his life which would have ended any chance Rams had at winning that game most likely.  

Luck played a BIG part in them getting there.  Rams fans here will even tell you they got lucky, and were even luckier it was Bengals instead of KC or Bills.  

And just because one team did it, doesn’t erase all the other times teams tried to “buy” it like the Rams did and failed.  

One thing I will never understand is why people do these hot takes every year and are like that’s exactly what we need to do when referencing whoever won that year.  

There’s a lot of ways to win the SB, some are better than others.  Selling out your future rarely works and usually is followed by a lot of down years whether it works or not.

That is a hilariously bad take.

The Rams have been trading draft picks for veteran stars/other-teams-high-picks since McVay arrived.

Sammy Watkins.......Marcus Peters......Aqib Talib.......Brandin Cooks........Dante Fowler.......Jaylen Ramsey.......Austin Corbett.......Matt Stafford........Von Miller.........all acquired by trades for draft picks.   :doh:

That's in addition to big name free agent acquisitions like Whitworth, Woods, Weddle, Floyd, Robinson and Beckham Jr.

And who gives a f*ck if you live in LA.........this is all common knowledge to avid NFL fans........stuff that living closer to the stadium provides you no insight into.:rolleyes:

But it does beg the question.........have you been living under a rock in LA? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We don’t have a desperate need.  5th in pressures, 10th in sacks.  We aren’t desperate by any means.

Would he be an upgrade, sure…just saying people who keep saying we are desperate are grossly over exaggerating the situation.  

This is true, just watched a Joe Marino U-tube piece on our defense, and he presented a handful of stats that refute what many of us to include me have been saying about our defenses pass and run play making,  it wasn’t all praise, he did point out what types of runs have been an issue, it’s worth a watch, don’t have a link but it’s U -Tube so it’s not hard to find. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Personally, I’ll be happy with just one in my lifetime 

7 hours ago, 97bills said:

I mean let’s win one super bowl first before we talk about not trading picks so we can win 3. 

There are many here who are willing to go all in for one championship right now in exchange for possibly never winning another. That is clear.

I wonder if we won in 1990 how people here would feel. Lots of people on this board don't remember Wide Right. What if we won in 2000... the year of the Music City Miracle?

Would one previous Super Bowl title reduce the number of people here who want to follow the Rams blueprint? Just a rhetorical question.

Personally in spite of the Bills never having won a Super Bowl, I'm still in favor of the conventional franchise building model employed by New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Green Bay. Those franchises have won multiple Super Bowls because they're almost always good. I'd like to see the Bills follow that blueprint. JMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

25 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

There are many here who are willing to go all in for one championship right now in exchange for possibly never winning another. That is clear.

I wonder if we won in 1990 how people here would feel. Lots of people on this board don't remember Wide Right. What if we won in 2000... the year of the Music City Miracle?

Would one previous Super Bowl title reduce the number of people here who want to follow the Rams blueprint? Just a rhetorical question.

Personally in spite of the Bills never having won a Super Bowl, I'm still in favor of the conventional franchise building model employed by New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Green Bay. Those franchises have won multiple Super Bowls because they're almost always good. I'd like to see the Bills follow that blueprint. JMO.

The current team, as assembled, doesn’t need much to get them over the hump. If it means trading this years 25th pick to get that game changing defensive player, then I’m all for it. The foundation of the team is set with Allen/Diggs/Tre, time to spread some mortar

• Agree 2

I wouldn't mind at all. We could sign him for a relatively long contract at that price, we'd have to sacrifice something else, but he's capable of putting up big numbers when healthy. Besides, Edge Rusher is widely regarded as the 2nd most important position on the team. If we go Edge in round 1 or 2, we'd better trade for a G because Cogs is the ONLY G in FA that I'd want in a Bills uniform. That means we'd be stuck trying to trade up to get a decent OL because there will likely be a run on them in round 1. That means we'd have to splurge for a CB instead if one is even available. Levi Wallace has been ok at times, but he's had too many bad games. Other needs like depth at RB and TE can be addressed more easily without spending a fortune. Also, while I think Spencer Brown probably has a bright future, he is by no means a sure bet and he has a long way to go just to be average. We knew he'd be a project though. I really hope he and Rousseau catch fire in '23.

Edited by GreggTX

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.