Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

How are you fitting that salary into our cap?  you need to send out a contract. His cap number for 2022 is around 26 million, yikes! we would need to send them Milano or Edmunds and still need to do a load of work.  

His cap hit with the Vikings is $26M with he Vikings but as soon as he's traded to another team he's due $25.5M over 2 years by his new team.  His cap hit would not be $26M with the Bills, is what I'm trying to say.

Long way of saying the Bills could very easily fit Hunter into the cap going forward if they were inclined to do so

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m not giving up a 1st for a guy who’s played 7 games the last 2 years due to injuries.  Diggs was a couple years younger and had no injury history. 

I agree. I like Hunter, but the guy is turning 28 this october and does have a history of injuries. That being said, I would do it for a 2nd round pick. I think due to where the Bills are - literally on the brink of a super bowl appearance - giving up a 2nd round pick and taking a gamble on his injuries would be worth it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Would a 2nd and a 4th get it done?

Considering that we’ll have to pay the guy 20-30M and we’re only 2M under the cap, still have to pay Bates, Harry, CB2, find more WRs, TE2, replace Morse and DWill by 2023, replace or pay Jerry and Mario……..I’d almost rather give up the first and have 2 picks instead of one.  

I just can’t fathom something like this happening considering our cap sitch

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's a lesson that teams with young dominant quarterbacks should in no way learn. Teams with Matt Stafford, maybe. Teams with Josh Allen, no.

I bet the Chiefs regret trading for Frank Clark and pushing their cap to the limit. Oh, wait, no. They got a SuperBowl out of it.

8 hours ago, Magox said:

As great as he talent as he is, Beane values availability and Hunter has only played in 7 games the past two years.

AJ Epenesa has been super available, very easy to stay healthy in street clothes.

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Check back with my after the SB and I will let you know.

We haven’t played in a Super Bowl in 30 years. Rams have gone to 2 in the last four. No reason to wait.

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Rams chose to go all-in for this year.  Going forward they'll struggle to keep their team together.

Beane has been conscientiously working to build an enduring top-notch team, one that will be strong year after year, by NOT chasing high-cost performers that distort the payscale of the players under the salary cap.  

Are good players better than picks?  Well, good players on their rookie contracts are a hell of a lot cheaper than veterans, and that matters if the goal is to have a strong, complete team.  

If the Rams win the SB, they'll look smart for having made the choices they did.  But they almost didn't make it, which would make them look foolish for making the same choices.  And whether the Rams win the 2021 SB, it's a really likely outcome that the 2024 Bills will be better than the 2024 Rams.

Winning the Super Bowl is the goal. Winning a playoff game in 2024 is not.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I bet the Chiefs regret trading for Frank Clark and pushing their cap to the limit. Oh, wait, no. They got a SuperBowl out of it.

AJ Epenesa has been super available, very easy to stay healthy in street clothes.

We haven’t played in a Super Bowl in 30 years. Rams have gone to 2 in the last four. No reason to wait.

Winning the Super Bowl is the goal. Winning a playoff game in 2024 is not.

If the Rams lose tonight, that’s the reason not to copy their approach exactly. I am all for trading our first round pick for a pass rusher. After that I’m not sure how much more I want to emulate the Rams style if they lose. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I feel this narrative is getting kind of old.

The Rams made their first super bowl under McVay based off amazing draft picks (many of which had already been drafted), not FA, and a fresh perspective from their young HC. They drafted Cooper Kupp, they drafted Goff, they drafted Tyler Higbee, they drafted Gurley, and they drafted Donald (off the top of my head). 

This second super bowl rendition of the Rams is more of a mercenary approach, b/c if you look at the draft history under McVay, there are many more misses than hits. They really haven't drafted well since he's been there. But the entire key in all this was the ability to trade for Stafford. How many times is a player like Stafford available for a trade? All the Ramsey's, OBJ's and Von Miller's in the world would've meant squat without the ability to trade for Stafford. And it was a huge gamble, b/c as we saw multiple times this year, Stafford still almost blew it for them. Where would the Rams be right now without their ability to trade for Stafford? Likely not the super bowl.

The Rams have been able to make it work but i'm not sure how their approach can be applied to other teams around the league. There aren't many Stafford-type QB's available for trade every season. If the Rams hadn't been able to trade for Stafford they'd probably be looking at another 9-7/10-6 season, with an early exit in the playoffs, all while being in cap hell. 

The approach the Chiefs and even Bills have taken is much more sustainable in my opinion. You have to hit on some key draft picks and supplement them with mid-tier veteran FA signings. In my opinion it creates an atmosphere where success can last 10+years, whereas the Rams may be on the brink of collapse within 1-2yrs. Or who knows, maybe they'll trade for Josh Allen in 2 years.

The Chiefs traded a second round pick for a pass rusher and gave him a monster contract before the won the Super Bowl.

Furthermore, the Rams haven’t had a first round pick since 2016. Every year y’all say they are on the brink of being done, except McVay keeps winning. He has the hugest win percentage in the NFL. 

will the chickens come home to roost at some point? Sure, they will have a down year eventually. But they have been a great team for over 5 years now, made 2 Super Bowls, and have the winningest coach in the NFL. 

Furthermore, we just had an early exit from the playoffs. So if they couldn’t have traded picks for difference-makers, they’d be the Bills? You made my point for me looooool

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, FireChans said:

Who cares? Have the Rams not taught you that good players are better than picks?

Or to put it another way, when was the last time anyone in this league turned a pick number into an elite superstar, especially if the pick is out of the top 5 in the draft? 

Teams don't know how to properly evaluate and rank talent, except for the really obvious stuff that is so easy you can't screw it up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If the Rams lose tonight, that’s the reason not to copy their approach exactly. I am all for trading our first round pick for a pass rusher. After that I’m not sure how much more I want to emulate the Rams style if they lose. 

Bro, you can’t play if you’re afraid to lose. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The Chiefs traded a second round pick for a pass rusher and gave him a monster contract before the won the Super Bowl.

Furthermore, the Rams haven’t had a first round pick since 2016. Every year y’all say they are on the brink of being done, except McVay keeps winning. He has the hugest win percentage in the NFL. 

will the chickens come home to roost at some point? Sure, they will have a down year eventually. But they have been a great team for over 5 years now, made 2 Super Bowls, and have the winningest coach in the NFL. 

Furthermore, we just had an early exit from the playoffs. So if they couldn’t have traded picks for difference-makers, they’d be the Bills? You made my point for me looooool

They made one super bowl on the back of great draft picks.

They made a second super bowl on the back of a trade for a QB, where all the stars aligned, and that happens maybe once every 20yrs in the NFL. 

Also, McVay has a lot to do with their success. All i'm saying is that what the Rams have done is not necessarily a blueprint that other teams should or even can follow. 

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

They made one super bowl on the back of great draft picks.

They made a second super bowl on the back of a trade for a QB, where all the stars aligned, and that happens maybe once every 20yrs in the NFL. 

Also, McVay has a lot to do with their success. All i'm saying is that what the Rams have done is not necessarily a blueprint that other teams should or even can follow. 

Well, they traded a bunch of picks for Goff… I ultimately agree with you. But there is a lesson to be learned and that lesson is the name of the game is acquiring stars because stars win Super Bowls. Not draft picks, not cap space, not trying to be a 10 win team in 2026.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

We gonna give Rousseau a chance?

I am more than willing. People just don't have patience anymore. Plus for close to the same cap space Hunter would cost, you could probably keep Hughes, wallace and Harry. Heck, you could probably add Obada as well. And still have the picks to use.

Edited by LyndonvilleBill

7 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I am more than willing. People just don't have patience anymore. Plus for close to the same cap space Hunter would cost, you could probably keep Hughes, wallace and Harry. Heck, you could probably add Obada as well. And still have the picks to use.

Let’s see what we have for the first half next year and draft other positions and if we need pass rush we add at the deadline 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Rams chose to go all-in for this year.  Going forward they'll struggle to keep their team together.

Beane has been conscientiously working to build an enduring top-notch team, one that will be strong year after year, by NOT chasing high-cost performers that distort the payscale of the players under the salary cap.  

Are good players better than picks?  Well, good players on their rookie contracts are a hell of a lot cheaper than veterans, and that matters if the goal is to have a strong, complete team.  

If the Rams win the SB, they'll look smart for having made the choices they did.  But they almost didn't make it, which would make them look foolish for making the same choices.  And whether the Rams win the 2021 SB, it's a really likely outcome that the 2024 Bills will be better than the 2024 Rams.

Beans strategy is continual Dolphins level team and hope we catch a hot streak.  You can have this front 7 and win a SB. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m not giving up a 1st for a guy who’s played 7 games the last 2 years due to injuries.  Diggs was a couple years younger and had no injury history. 

how many games did Groot play in and had an impact last year?   Less than 7

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

the Rams have also had I think the most overall draft pocks in that time, just in lower rounds.  So they have high paid proven stars, avoid an Edmunds conundrum, and go to two SB’s in that span. 

2 hours ago, Estro said:

That's just not true. He's owed $25.5M over the next 2 years. You could easily tack on a 2-3 year extension and his '22 cap hit could be as low as $5-6M while still giving him the $20M in cash he's due in '22. 

The cap is set to soar starting next year & pushing $ into future years allows us to make a big move or 2 this season

I do hope Beane can find a way to get an impact player or 2 on the team.  I'm not sure if Hunter is that guy or not and also not sure

what OBD thinks it can and cannot do.

The one thing I want to comment on is the bolded.  If fans don't think that Beane knows about this and is working the numbers they are fooling

themselves.

Beane knows full well what's going on and that is why his contract with Josh goes up $23M in 2023 from his 2022 cap hit.

6 hours ago, mannc said:

That strategy’s worked out so well for the “Commanders” and the Jets…we did not lose to KC because our defense isn’t good enough.

You can't evaluate any strategy used by teams without a franchise QB. If Washington had a franchise QB they would be one of the best teams in the league.

And how can you say defense wasn't a problem in a game where our opponent scored 42 points?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.