Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Who cares? Have the Rams not taught you that good players are better than picks?

The Rams chose to go all-in for this year.  Going forward they'll struggle to keep their team together.

Beane has been conscientiously working to build an enduring top-notch team, one that will be strong year after year, by NOT chasing high-cost performers that distort the payscale of the players under the salary cap.  

Are good players better than picks?  Well, good players on their rookie contracts are a hell of a lot cheaper than veterans, and that matters if the goal is to have a strong, complete team.  

If the Rams win the SB, they'll look smart for having made the choices they did.  But they almost didn't make it, which would make them look foolish for making the same choices.  And whether the Rams win the 2021 SB, it's a really likely outcome that the 2024 Bills will be better than the 2024 Rams.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Vikings are $14M under the cap for 2022.

The Bills are $1.3M under the cap.

We are in a bit better shape, but not a lot. And Hunter would cost us $19.5M this year. 

Yes, it's possible, and yes they could kick cans down the road, but it would start us towards being in consistent cap problems. And Beane doesn't want to do that. Which is going to be a good thing for a lot of years. I don't see it, myself, though again it's certainly not impossible.

But for a guy who's played seven games in two seasons I'm guessing it's too big of a gamble.

Well put.  I’d love to as Hunter.  I’m a HUGE fan of the kid since LSU.  Couldn’t believe he fell to rd 3.  That said, season ending injuries in back to back years.  Missed and entire season due to a neck injury and missed the last 10 games last year due to a torn pec. If he’s healthy come the playoffs, I think he could be the difference make we need. But what if he gets hurt again and maybe again. We’d have mortgaged our future on a 27 year old (28 in october) coming off 2 straight season ending injuries. It’s the type of move that could cripple us…..or could get us a super bowl W.  While I’m sure  I’d love it if we make the move, I think we should lay off.  Beane will probably do just that.  

We’re so close.  So close that I don’t think we should be going all in on one guy.  We already have that guy.  We just need everyone else to be good enough, while 17 does the rest.  Allow 17 to do the rest by giving him a wall and more weapons 

47 minutes ago, Utah John said:

The Rams chose to go all-in for this year.  Going forward they'll struggle to keep their team together.

Beane has been conscientiously working to build an enduring top-notch team, one that will be strong year after year, by NOT chasing high-cost performers that distort the payscale of the players under the salary cap.  

Are good players better than picks?  Well, good players on their rookie contracts are a hell of a lot cheaper than veterans, and that matters if the goal is to have a strong, complete team.  

If the Rams win the SB, they'll look smart for having made the choices they did.  But they almost didn't make it, which would make them look foolish for making the same choices.  And whether the Rams win the 2021 SB, it's a really likely outcome that the 2024 Bills will be better than the 2024 Rams.

He knows that.  He just likes to b about Beane never going all in.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Estro said:

Danielle Hunter, DE, Minnesota Vikings is a perfect trade candidate for the Bills this offseason:

1. He's one of the best DE's in the league.

2. The Vikings have serious cap issues.

3. 27 years old, so plenty of shelf life

4. Has 2 years, $25.5M left (A STEAL!)

5. Injuries might motivate Vikings to deal

6. Bills in desperate need of elite DE

& the biggest one of all:

7. Vikings save $22M in space if traded.

Great idea.  As we all know, NFL teams love to give away premier young edge rushers on cheap contracts.  

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

. Keep building the d-line until it's elite. 

That strategy’s worked out so well for the “Commanders” and the Jets…we did not lose to KC because our defense isn’t good enough.

7 hours ago, Estro said:

Danielle Hunter, DE, Minnesota Vikings is a perfect trade candidate for the Bills this offseason:

1. He's one of the best DE's in the league.

2. The Vikings have serious cap issues.

3. 27 years old, so plenty of shelf life

4. Has 2 years, $25.5M left (A STEAL!)

5. Injuries might motivate Vikings to deal

6. Bills in desperate need of elite DE

& the biggest one of all:

7. Vikings save $22M in space if traded.

How are you fitting that salary into our cap?  you need to send out a contract. His cap number for 2022 is around 26 million, yikes! we would need to send them Milano or Edmunds and still need to do a load of work.  

Edited by Niagara Dude

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Previous investments don't matter. Keep building the d-line until it's elite. Hunter is a perfect candidate to fill in the one weakness we had trying to beat the Chiefs. But I doubt the Vikings would want to trade an elite defensive player in the prime of his career, even after his pectoral injury. If he's available for our 1st round it's a no brainer just like trading for Diggs was.

I don't disagree with this even a little.

All I'm saying is, I don't see Beane attempting this or anything similar at this position.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Well put.  I’d love to as Hunter.  I’m a HUGE fan of the kid since LSU.  Couldn’t believe he fell to rd 3.  That said, season ending injuries in back to back years.  Missed and entire season due to a neck injury and missed the last 10 games last year due to a torn pec. If he’s healthy come the playoffs, I think he could be the difference make we need. But what if he gets hurt again and maybe again. We’d have mortgaged our future on a 27 year old (28 in october) coming off 2 straight season ending injuries. It’s the type of move that could cripple us…..or could get us a super bowl W.  While I’m sure  I’d love it if we make the move, I think we should lay off.  Beane will probably do just that.  

We’re so close.  So close that I don’t think we should be going all in on one guy.  We already have that guy.  We just need everyone else to be good enough, while 17 does the rest.  Allow 17 to do the rest by giving him a wall and more weapons 

He knows that.  He just likes to b about Beane never going all in.  

This is what I'm sayin'.

Weapons and a wall. Josh is the way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Is he ever not injured?

Some context for those wondering: For seven games over the last two seasons he wasn’t injured.  Herniated disk equaled zero games played in 2020.  Torn pec lost him 10 games this past season. 

He’s also got one of the oddest contracts I’ve ever seen: LINK

Of the $25.5M due over the next two seasons, $18M of it is a roster bonus due 3/20.  I’m betting that is convertible to a signing bonus (he has two void years).

He would easily be worth trading for if it weren’t for his recent injuries.  As of now it would be a huge gamble.  I would pass on it if it meant sending a first.  Minny may decide to part ways with him due to the roster bonus and recent injuries.  If they do, then he will be on the trade market cheap.  That might get me interested.

Edited by BarleyNY

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

Who cares? Have the Rams not taught you that good players are better than picks?

I feel this narrative is getting kind of old.

The Rams made their first super bowl under McVay based off amazing draft picks (many of which had already been drafted), not FA, and a fresh perspective from their young HC. They drafted Cooper Kupp, they drafted Goff, they drafted Tyler Higbee, they drafted Gurley, and they drafted Donald (off the top of my head). 

This second super bowl rendition of the Rams is more of a mercenary approach, b/c if you look at the draft history under McVay, there are many more misses than hits. They really haven't drafted well since he's been there. But the entire key in all this was the ability to trade for Stafford. How many times is a player like Stafford available for a trade? All the Ramsey's, OBJ's and Von Miller's in the world would've meant squat without the ability to trade for Stafford. And it was a huge gamble, b/c as we saw multiple times this year, Stafford still almost blew it for them. Where would the Rams be right now without their ability to trade for Stafford? Likely not the super bowl.

The Rams have been able to make it work but i'm not sure how their approach can be applied to other teams around the league. There aren't many Stafford-type QB's available for trade every season. If the Rams hadn't been able to trade for Stafford they'd probably be looking at another 9-7/10-6 season, with an early exit in the playoffs, all while being in cap hell. 

The approach the Chiefs and even Bills have taken is much more sustainable in my opinion. You have to hit on some key draft picks and supplement them with mid-tier veteran FA signings. In my opinion it creates an atmosphere where success can last 10+years, whereas the Rams may be on the brink of collapse within 1-2yrs. Or who knows, maybe they'll trade for Josh Allen in 2 years.

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

not gonna happen annie murphy GIF by CBC

Terrific player but I don’t see Beane going back to this well for yet another DL with that cost. Not after last years investments. 

You say last years investment, but out of the 11 D lineman on the active 53, 6 of them are free agents this off season; Addison, Hughes, Zimmer, Phillips, Butler, and Obada and good chance they cut the seventh, Star.  Of those the only one who played only due to injuries elsewhere was Butler, and maybe Obada to a lesser degree.

Believe only 4 guys back on contracts, Oliver, Epinesa, and last years two rookies.  And Ankou was signed to a futures contract.  So the cubbard is rather bare there even with what's been done.  Hopefully they resign Phillips and maybe one of either Addison, or Hughes to a low one year deal.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Vikings are $14M under the cap for 2022.

The Bills are $1.3M under the cap.

We are in a bit better shape, but not a lot. And Hunter would cost us $19.5M this year. 

Yes, it's possible, and yes they could kick cans down the road, but it would start us towards being in consistent cap problems. And Beane doesn't want to do that. Which is going to be a good thing for a lot of years. I don't see it, myself, though again it's certainly not impossible.

But for a guy who's played seven games in two seasons I'm guessing it's too big of a gamble.

Spotrac has the Vikings $14M OVER the cap, not under.

And while Danielle Hunter gets $20M this season he's only due $5.5M in 2023, so it's a very easy deal to rework and make the cap # in '22 very team friendly.

I guess my thought is, with an aging avg. QB on Kirk Cousins I think the Vikings are on the cusp of blowing it up and beginning a rebuild.  If thats the case you wonder if they'd be motivated to maybe flip Hunter for draft picks because by the time they're ready to truly compete in a few years he'll probably be a declining player.  

I think a 1st and 4th is probably what it would take.  My heart says maybe a 2nd, but my brain says it'd take a 1 + to motivate the Vikings to make the deal.

I really want a vet DE and a vet corner. So many people are talking about needing to draft a corner in the first and another DE high, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

Look at the offense.  We have a good offense that was mostly constructed with vets and a big trade. Now…look at the defense. Most of the personnel was drafted and lacks experience…especially the DE’s. I think we need to reverse this trend for at least a year and get more balance. We need some vet presence on defense and inject some youth into the offense at the same time. 

I would love to see us go get a vet corner and DE. This could be done through a trade or through FA signings. I would also love to see us have an offense heavy draft. 

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They’d have to cut a lot of good players just to be able to afford that contract.  Pipe dream 

That's just not true. He's owed $25.5M over the next 2 years. You could easily tack on a 2-3 year extension and his '22 cap hit could be as low as $5-6M while still giving him the $20M in cash he's due in '22. 

The cap is set to soar starting next year & pushing $ into future years allows us to make a big move or 2 this season

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.