Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

15 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I wouldn’t take that chance.  Beane can restructure his contract to give him more money up front, maybe void a year off his deal so he’s only signed for 2 years, but a new deal?  Not with his injury issues.

Not sure I would either.  If he’s healthy, he’s well worth it.  If not….we’ll, he’s not worth it.  Roll of the dice. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The cap has an can be manipulated, we've seen it countless times with New Orleans and other teams. He also has an out clause in year 3 where he's only going to cost 2.5M against the cap so you're banking on production now and next year while your young player learns behind these veterans. Salary cap shouldn't be the issue, we're in a SB window right now and we should be going for it not saying oh man we'll lose pick 25 overall. Odds are that guy isn't starting on our roster right away but Hunter is an elite pass rusher, We're losing both Addison and Hughes, are we really going to go into this season with Epenesa and Rousseau as our pass rushers? Not a chance imo. 

Yes, we've seen the caps manipulated by teams like New Orleans. And we've seen that far fewer teams that manipulate the cap wildly like New Orleans win Super Bowls. The Saints had a top three QB and a top five coach for about a decade and could only come up with one SB. And a lot of that was that they were wrestling with the cap every eyar.

Yes, we're in a Super Bowl window now, but also for the next fifteen years or so. Making the future more difficult is NOT a smart move when you're in a window as long as this one.

I do agree with you that we will probably have to pick up a DE somewhere, in the draft or a FA less expensive than Hunter is my guess.

Nobody doubts that the cap can be manipulated. It absolutely can. The question is whether it should. The cap can be manipulated, and Beane does that every single year. Everyone does, really. The cap can also be manipulated ruthlessly by kicking lots of cans down the road. Beane does not do that. Nor should he.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

If they ask for Groot and a first....would you

Hell, no.

This was covered extensively earlier in the thread but hasn't been mentioned much lately. (Edit: I didn't see much on P. 8, but on P. 9 it's back at the forefront, as it should be.

But Hunter has played in seven games in the last two years. Though very talented, he's an injury risk.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hunter wants a new contract.  He’s not happy making the money he is.  Maybe the injuries have hurt his leverage, but I expect him to want 25M aav. Is he worth a 1st rd pick and 25M per?  I think he is….as long as he’s healthy. It’s a scary move that could ruin the teams chances @ rings for the next few years if he can’t stay healthy for the playoffs. 

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

Thanks. Didn’t know all the details from his camp. Would probably want the contract to have incentives about snaps played.  This could be a way to reduce the cap hit now though the check for that comes later. I’m just happy to pay

if he’s healthy as you say later. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, we've seen the caps manipulated by teams like New Orleans. And we've seen that far fewer teams that manipulate the cap wildly like New Orleans win Super Bowls. The Saints had a top three QB and a top five coach for about a decade and could only come up with one SB. And a lot of that was that they were wrestling with the cap every eyar.

Yes, we're in a Super Bowl window now, but also for the next fifteen years or so. Making the future more difficult is NOT a smart move when you're in a window as long as this one.

I do agree with you that we will probably have to pick up a DE somewhere, in the draft or a FA less expensive than Hunter is my guess.

Nobody doubts that the cap can be manipulated. It absolutely can. The question is whether it should. The cap can be manipulated, and Beane does that every single year. Everyone does, really. The cap can also be manipulated ruthlessly by kicking lots of cans down the road. Beane does not do that. Nor should he.

Hell, no.

This was covered extensively earlier in the thread but hasn't been mentioned much lately. (Edit: I didn't see much on P. 8, but on P. 9 it's back at the forefront, as it should be.

But Hunter has played in seven games in the last two years. Though very talented, he's an injury risk.

The goal is to win a SB, regardless if it's 1 or more. I'm not saying Hunter has to be the guy here but we're about to lose both Addison and Hughes to FA, who's skills are diminishing anyways but we still need to account for 9 sacks and to leave that in the hands of two 2nd year players and a 3rd year player doesn't seem like a smart idea imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hell, no.

while I’ve been a supporter of Beanes ability to keep cool, not panic and give into the pressures of winning now at all costs, there comes a point where we have to mortgage part of the future for the present. Not all of the future, but enough to give the current team the juice it needs to get over the top.  

We are for sure in the super bowl window right now due to 17’s athletic abilities. How long will he have the same traits?  No one knows.  I doubt he’ll be running around like this for 15 year.  Beane has to take that into consideration.  Over the next 2-3 years, if we don’t already have a Lombardi, there should be an offseason in which the stars align and Beane says **** it and kicks a bunch of cash down the road.  

The thought that we have to plan each offseason according to a 15 year success plan is too conservative and we’ll be relying on a lot of luck imo.   Winning one super bowl should be the goal right now.    If we don’t have a Lombardi 4-5 years from now, Beane and McD should and will probably be shown the door, regardless of how good they are at their jobs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, Allen2Diggs said:

The Vikings are $15 Million over the cap and Hunter's cap hit is $26 Million. Just wait for them to release him so we don't waste a draft pick.

Then he goes to the highest bidder. If we want him, we need to trade for him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:48 PM, YattaOkasan said:

For hunter I agree. This is a player you go after as he’s proven and on a good contract. Need to continue to be calculating.  The invoices will come due at some point but if you have done well you won a lot without hindering yourself

too much. We agree that this is the player to do it for (again very similar to diggs). 

Rams and Bucs are in different positions because their “window” withe their QB will close sooner.  JA should be here and good for at least another 7 years and would not want to be in worse cap hell for much of that time due to finagling the cap now and have it all be a disaster In 2 or 3 years.

1 hour ago, jamiezzz said:

3rd and Esponosa?  Considering Hunter's cost.  Just throwing it out there.

They’d probably laugh

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Bills D has 2 huge holes at CB and DE- the two most important Defense positions 

Good thing free agency just started and we have 9 picks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.