Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 1:10 AM, Thurman#1 said:

The Vikings are $14M under the cap for 2022.

The Bills are $1.3M under the cap.

We are in a bit better shape, but not a lot. And Hunter would cost us $19.5M this year. 

Yes, it's possible, and yes they could kick cans down the road, but it would start us towards being in consistent cap problems. And Beane doesn't want to do that. Which is going to be a good thing for a lot of years. I don't see it, myself, though again it's certainly not impossible.

But for a guy who's played seven games in two seasons I'm guessing it's too big of a gamble.

The cap has an can be manipulated, we've seen it countless times with New Orleans and other teams. He also has an out clause in year 3 where he's only going to cost 2.5M against the cap so you're banking on production now and next year while your young player learns behind these veterans. Salary cap shouldn't be the issue, we're in a SB window right now and we should be going for it not saying oh man we'll lose pick 25 overall. Odds are that guy isn't starting on our roster right away but Hunter is an elite pass rusher, We're losing both Addison and Hughes, are we really going to go into this season with Epenesa and Rousseau as our pass rushers? Not a chance imo. 

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Looking at contract either we get him prior to March 20th or not at all since he would be real cheap money wise after that. After March 20th I would certainly trade our first and second for him, and some other extra stuff 

On 3/1/2022 at 9:12 AM, GreggTX said:

I wouldn't mind at all. We could sign him for a relatively long contract at that price, we'd have to sacrifice something else, but he's capable of putting up big numbers when healthy. Besides, Edge Rusher is widely regarded as the 2nd most important position on the team. If we go Edge in round 1 or 2, we'd better trade for a G because Cogs is the ONLY G in FA that I'd want in a Bills uniform. That means we'd be stuck trying to trade up to get a decent OL because there will likely be a run on them in round 1. That means we'd have to splurge for a CB instead if one is even available. Levi Wallace has been ok at times, but he's had too many bad games. Other needs like depth at RB and TE can be addressed more easily without spending a fortune. Also, while I think Spencer Brown probably has a bright future, he is by no means a sure bet and he has a long way to go just to be average. We knew he'd be a project though. I really hope he and Rousseau catch fire in '23.

He’s already under contract for the next few seasons which is part of the value (like diggs funny enough) to me. 

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The cap has an can be manipulated, we've seen it countless times with New Orleans and other teams. He also has an out clause in year 3 where he's only going to cost 2.5M against the cap so you're banking on production now and next year while your young player learns behind these veterans. Salary cap shouldn't be the issue, we're in a SB window right now and we should be going for it not saying oh man we'll lose pick 25 overall. Odds are that guy isn't starting on our roster right away but Hunter is an elite pass rusher, We're losing both Addison and Hughes, are we really going to go into this season with Epenesa and Rousseau as our pass rushers? Not a chance imo. 

NO is gonna go through some dark times for next few seasons cause of that  manipulation. They should get several good shots at drafting a replacement for Brees.  

Edited by YattaOkasan

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

His neck injury worries me, me missed all of 2020 and a good chunk of 2021

The injury in 2021 was different, it was a torn pec. His neck injury is fully healed. Through six games last year he had six sacks until he tore his pec. His injury history makes him more of a risk but that's the only reason he's potentially available right now. For a Bills team that is badly missing an impact rusher the risk is more than worth it IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

He’s already under contract for the next few seasons which is part of the value (like diggs funny enough) to me. 

NO is gonna go through some dark times for next few seasons cause of that  manipulation. They should get several good shots at drafting a replacement for Brees.  

Yeah well when you're in win now mode you don't always think of the big picture, I'm not saying we should be wreckless but we're definitely in that SB window and the AFC just got a whole lot tougher with now Russell Wilson added to it. All I'm saying salary cap is an excuse that we shouldn't be using anymore.... see also TB Bucs, LA Rams, the Rams will definitely be hurting in a few years with some of these moves for sure but if they win another SB anytime soon then it could all be worth it for them.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Yeah well when you're in win now mode you don't always think of the big picture, I'm not saying we should be wreckless but we're definitely in that SB window and the AFC just got a whole lot tougher with now Russell Wilson added to it. All I'm saying salary cap is an excuse that we shouldn't be using anymore.... see also TB Bucs, LA Rams, the Rams will definitely be hurting in a few years with some of these moves for sure but if they win another SB anytime soon then it could all be worth it for them.

For hunter I agree. This is a player you go after as he’s proven and on a good contract. Need to continue to be calculating.  The invoices will come due at some point but if you have done well you won a lot without hindering yourself

too much. We agree that this is the player to do it for (again very similar to diggs). 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

For hunter I agree. This is a player you go after as he’s proven and on a good contract. Need to continue to be calculating.  The invoices will come due at some point but if you have done well you won a lot without hindering yourself

too much. We agree that this is the player to do it for (again very similar to diggs). 

Hunter wants a new contract.  He’s not happy making the money he is.  Maybe the injuries have hurt his leverage, but I expect him to want 25M aav. Is he worth a 1st rd pick and 25M per?  I think he is….as long as he’s healthy. It’s a scary move that could ruin the teams chances @ rings for the next few years if he can’t stay healthy for the playoffs. 

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Hunter wants a new contract.  He’s not happy making the money he is.  Maybe the injuries have hurt his leverage, but I expect him to want 25M aav. Is he worth a 1st rd pick and 25M per?  I think he is….as long as he’s healthy. It’s a scary move that could ruin the teams chances @ rings for the next few years if he can’t stay healthy for the playoffs. 

Dice Vegas GIF by The Weeknd

I wouldn’t take that chance.  Beane can restructure his contract to give him more money up front, maybe void a year off his deal so he’s only signed for 2 years, but a new deal?  Not with his injury issues.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Beane knows this but we don't really have a big contract long-term on defense. Tre White has cap hits in the $15-16 million range. That's pretty good. We're in the market for a big contract DL. Oliver is going to probably be right around Tre White.

Let's go get that guy now. If you listen to Beane he says after QB pass rusher is the most important position. Let's get him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.