Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

AJ Epenesa has been super available, very easy to stay healthy in street clothes.

That made no sense.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Not sure, but he missed a helluva lot in Buffalo for my liking 

The point being that Star didn't mess hardly any games, out of 80 possible regular season games, he started 77 of them for Carolina.

When Beane signed him, he was a dependable player.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Too much fear of “cap hell” on this board. 

Agree.  I just want them to win a Superbowl.  Fan of 35 years and just want to experience at least one. 🤙🏼

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

You can't evaluate any strategy used by teams without a franchise QB. If Washington had a franchise QB they would be one of the best teams in the league.

And how can you say defense wasn't a problem in a game where our opponent scored 42 points?

💯

17 hours ago, Jerboski said:

Easily 

What’s the alternative?  2022 is the last in Allen’s rookie contract window.  The Bills have no one at DE.  They aren’t going to be able to draft a DE that comes in and dominated.  They need to make a big move to upgrade DE.  Their attempts in the past have not worked 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, JohnNord said:

What’s the alternative?  2022 is the last in Allen’s rookie contract window.  The Bills have no one at DE.  They aren’t going to be able to draft a DE that comes in and dominated.  They need to make a big move to upgrade DE.  Their attempts in the past have not worked 

I agree completely 

I trade our first for him every day of the week 

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Because you said this:

The Rams have gone to the Super Bowl twice in the last 4 years. Win or lose, their system gave them a shot to win the big one.

We have not gotten to a single Super Bowl in 30 years. Our system has not.

My favorite trope on TBD is acting like all these other team's strategies don't work because they didn't necessarily win a Super Bowl, unlike our strategy which.... also hasn't produced a Super Bowl. 

Extremely funny.

Again, I don’t think anyone in here makes fun of other teams strategies. I’m not making fun of the Rams. If they win tonight I will applaud them. If they don’t win the SB tonight the window will probably be closed on their chances. 

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I agree with you but trading a 1st for a player that’s hardly played the last two years with major injuries isn’t the best way to go about it.  

• Agree 3

17 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Rams chose to go all-in for this year.  Going forward they'll struggle to keep their team together.

Beane has been conscientiously working to build an enduring top-notch team, one that will be strong year after year, by NOT chasing high-cost performers that distort the payscale of the players under the salary cap.  

Are good players better than picks?  Well, good players on their rookie contracts are a hell of a lot cheaper than veterans, and that matters if the goal is to have a strong, complete team.  

If the Rams win the SB, they'll look smart for having made the choices they did.  But they almost didn't make it, which would make them look foolish for making the same choices.  And whether the Rams win the 2021 SB, it's a really likely outcome that the 2024 Bills will be better than the 2024 Rams.

Imagine wanting to be a 10 win team in 2024 over a Super Bowl champion in 2022. COULDNT BE ME

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Imagine wanting to be a 10 win team in 2024 over a Super Bowl champion in 2022. COULDNT BE ME

I don’t get it neither man I guess because I’m 45 and been a bills fan for 30. I just want to win one super bowl, every season is different anyway players come and go and injuries happen. 

After watching that Super Bowl it is painfully obvious that the Bills D line needs immediate help. The Bengals and Rams both had much better D lines than the Bills. An established edge rusher and someone to absorb space and anchor and push next to Oliver would really really help. I'd like to see them free up cap space to make that happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

I don’t get your point. 

All I’m saying is Beane is gonna pay a butt load for a DE that has a significant injury history.

The Bills have needed help at on the defensive line since 2018.  The fact that the Bills are in a position where they still need to find help at DE is damming to Beane, McDermott and the coaching staff. Some bad choices.  Here’s how Beane has addressed the needs:

2018: 
Star Lotulelei (FA)

Jordan Phillips (waivers)

2019:

Ed Oliver (draft - 1)

Trent Murphy (FA)

2020:

AJ Epinesa (draft - 2)

Mario Addison (FA)

Justin Jefferson (FA)

Vernon Butler (FA)

Greg Rosseau (draft -1)

Boogie Basham (draft -2)

Efe Obada (FA)

Nearly every move that Beane made to address the line has not panned out well besides Oliver who had his best season in 2021.  

The Bills knew that Hughes and Addison probably would not play in Buffalo in 2022 so they drafted Rosseau and Basham - neither which appear to be anything more than serviceable.  Then there’s a JAG like AJ Epinesa who gives you nothing as a pass rusher.  These draft choices were pretty underwhelming  and still, they need help at DE.  That’s why I’m saying it’s better to trade the pick for Hunter a proven commodity than it is to allow the scouting staff to whiff on another DE.  

50 minutes ago, BubbaT said:

After watching that Super Bowl it is painfully obvious that the Bills D line needs immediate help. The Bengals and Rams both had much better D lines than the Bills. An established edge rusher and someone to absorb space and anchor and push next to Oliver would really really help. I'd like to see them free up cap space to make that happen.

To make matters worse the Bills have constantly tried to address DE and have failed miserably.  They thought Star would be the “space eating anchor” - some fans here still think he is - but he just hasn’t been good.  

The Bills have needed a DE and 1TDT since 2018

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The Bills have needed help at on the defensive line since 2018.  The fact that the Bills are in a position where they still need to find help at DE is damming to Beane, McDermott and the coaching staff. Some bad choices.  Here’s how Beane has addressed the needs:

2018: 
Star Lotulelei (FA)

Jordan Phillips (waivers)

2019:

Ed Oliver (draft - 1)

Trent Murphy (FA)

2020:

AJ Epinesa (draft - 2)

Mario Addison (FA)

Justin Jefferson (FA)

Vernon Butler (FA)

Greg Rosseau (draft -1)

Boogie Basham (draft -2)

Efe Obada (FA)

Nearly every move that Beane made to address the line has not panned out well besides Oliver who had his best season in 2021.  

The Bills knew that Hughes and Addison probably would not play in Buffalo in 2022 so they drafted Rosseau and Basham - neither which appear to be anything more than serviceable.  Then there’s a JAG like AJ Epinesa who gives you nothing as a pass rusher.  These draft choices were pretty underwhelming  and still, they need help at DE.  That’s why I’m saying it’s better to trade the pick for Hunter a proven commodity than it is to allow the scouting staff to whiff on another DE.  

To make matters worse the Bills have constantly tried to address DE and have failed miserably.  They thought Star would be the “space eating anchor” - some fans here still think he is - but he just hasn’t been good.  

The Bills have needed a DE and 1TDT since 2018

I get it. Holes need to be filled. 

I doubt very much he’d pay the price necessary to obtain this player with this history. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 12:13 PM, HappyDays said:

Okay... that's still 5 less points and would have been the difference in our game.

I'm not betting on the Chiefs to play a bad game. Quite the opposite, I want our defense to be able to force them into one. Or at least force a punt more than once or twice. It's hard for our offense to perform much better than it did in that game and it still lost.

I don't think trying to make out shootout win percentage 1% higher is a good strategy. Those games are always 50/50. The Chiefs had the ball last so they won. No amount of offensive skill players tilts the clock in our favor.

motor had 10 rushes for 26 yards.  Josh WAS our run game.  Our “offense” was josh and Gabe Davis.  Nothing else.  

We had 14 points at the half and had 4 punts in the game (chiefs had 2).  

The chiefs offense clearly outplayed ours over the course of the game.    The chiefs had 30 first downs to our 23.  The chiefs had 552 yards to our 422 total offense.  The chiefs had 36 minutes TOP to our 27.  

If our offense outplayed their offense throughout the game....we would have won. But they didn’t…and lost.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not saying it’s gonna be the Bills, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Vikings trade Hunter in next few weeks.  He’s got an $18m roster bonus due march 20.  New coaching staff in Minnesota and they have zero cap room.  I trade a 3rd rounder this year and next year for him.  

He may very well get moved. I’m watching the Rodgers situation as well since Za’Darius Smith and others could be on the market for even less compensation if they retain A-A-Ron. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.