Danielle Hunter, DE, the perfect trade candidate

Estro

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's a lesson that teams with young dominant quarterbacks should in no way learn. Teams with Matt Stafford, maybe. Teams with Josh Allen, no.

yea, must really suck to be a chiefs fan with that super bowl parade they had. It’s downright chilly in February. No one thinks if the consequences of adding dominant pass rushers. 

3 hours ago, Estro said:

I guess my thought is, with an aging avg. QB on Kirk Cousins I think the Vikings are on the cusp of blowing it up and beginning a rebuild.  If thats the case you wonder if they'd be motivated to maybe flip Hunter for draft picks because by the time they're ready to truly compete in a few years he'll probably be a declining player.  

New regimes are expected to turn their franchise around within 2-3 years. Trading Hunter just gives them another hole on their roster and it won't be easy finding someone that talented again. The only reason players like Hunter become available is if he wants out of Minnesota, but there haven't been any reports of that. I don't see the logic in them trading an elite talent at the point of his lowest trade value.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

We gonna give Rousseau a chance?

I'm optimistic about Rousseau, but even in the best case scenario of his development I doubt he hits his ceiling this season and across from him it is a collection of JAGs. The Bills might have the worst DE room in the league if Rousseau doesn't progress. IMO it's the biggest hole on the roster. Beane will keep putting resources into the d-line until it is capable of taking over games, as he should.

43 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Danielle?  Yes, please.

f1f03619bb0ba2e4183748bc21b576ed.jpg

I enjoy tennis!   😋

I’m afraid this thread has doomed any chance of this happening. Has a hypothetical trade suggested here EVER actually happened?  

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, FireChans said:

We start two DE’s. 

and rotate two more in over the game
 Sean and Leslie say

"cant have too many pass rushers"

I say

"you cannot have too many very very good pass rushers"

High risk high reward with Hunter. Maybe Bills thinks they can keep him healthy a couple seasons.

But can he set an edge ?

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You can't evaluate any strategy used by teams without a franchise QB. If Washington had a franchise QB they would be one of the best teams in the league.

And how can you say defense wasn't a problem in a game where our opponent scored 42 points?

I like the idea of having a franchise QB and then getting him the best weapons available…it’s why the Bengals have a game today.  

And we lost to the Chiefs because our coaching staff wasn’t up to the task…you can’t convince me that the Chiefs’ defense is better than ours…

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

I like the idea of having a franchise QB and then getting him the best weapons available…it’s why the Bengals have a game today.  

And we lost to the Chiefs because our coaching staff wasn’t up to the task…you can’t convince me that the Chiefs’ defense is better than ours…

I so wanted Trey Hendrickson in FA last year.  I'm waiting to see how he plays for the Bengals today.

Much better of a move than going for Hunter this year.

Signing Trey meant Beane could of passed on Boogie for Creed Humphrey.

All that with Fournette for $3.5M would of meant a SB win IMO even with a couple bad coaching moves.

I seldom do the, could of, should of, would of, but today's game is going to bring that out in me!

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Bengals are in the Super Bowl because they held the Chiefs under 30 points... They did it because Hendrickson and Reader affected Mahomes. We're missing a true game changer in our front 4. Oliver got closer to that conversation this year but it's still not enough.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

The Bengals are in the Super Bowl because they held the Chiefs under 30 points... They did it because Hendrickson and Reader affected Mahomes. We're missing a true game changer in our front 4. Oliver got closer to that conversation this year but it's still not enough.

The Bills d line got to Mahomes. The reason the Bengals are playing today and we aren't is because Mahomes was a magician vs the Bills, and turned into Nathan Peterman vs the Bengals. 

The Bengals D is not better than ours. Our D is good enough. 

We have a superstar QB, keep building around him and give him weapons, and he'll get us there.

IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Process said:

The Bills d line got to Mahomes.

I don't consider Addison desperately trying to catch up to Mahomes as "getting to him." It was an embarrassing performance from the d-line. Their entire first TD drive was just Mahomes running away from them. Danielle Hunter is a finisher. 6 sacks in the 7 games he played last year.

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It was a coaching failure.  There is no excuse for rushing four at the end of regulation.  And why wasn’t our coaching staff able to make the second half adjustments the Bengals made, rushing three and putting 8 guys in coverage?

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's ignorant to look at it that simply.     The division game between Buff/KC was played at a very high intensity level.........the championship game was not particularly well played by either team.   When Burrow threw that stupid pick in the second half after they just got a KC turnover.......it was as if nobody wanted to win the game.  

If that Chiefs team showed up the week before it would have looked a lot like the 38-20 win the Bills secured in Arrowhead earlier in the season.    And before you anoint their pass rush,  remember the Bengals gave up 31 in regulation to the Chiefs at home in Cinci a few weeks earlier.

It took a half of terrible football from the Chiefs to get that game into OT..........if you're gameplan is built around the hope the Chiefs just play like sh*t when you face them that's not really a great plan, IMO.

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I don’t see how this phrase is relevant to this discussion.

Because you said this:

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

If the Rams lose tonight, that’s the reason not to copy their approach exactly. I am all for trading our first round pick for a pass rusher. After that I’m not sure how much more I want to emulate the Rams style if they lose. 

The Rams have gone to the Super Bowl twice in the last 4 years. Win or lose, their system gave them a shot to win the big one.

We have not gotten to a single Super Bowl in 30 years. Our system has not.

My favorite trope on TBD is acting like all these other team's strategies don't work because they didn't necessarily win a Super Bowl, unlike our strategy which.... also hasn't produced a Super Bowl. 

Extremely funny.

Edited by FireChans

14 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

not gonna happen annie murphy GIF by CBC

Terrific player but I don’t see Beane going back to this well for yet another DL with that cost. Not after last years investments. 

The reason Buffalo is in this spot is because Beane’s investments have not panned out well so far.  

I really like Hunter but I can't see trading a first round pick or multiple other picks AND having to extend his contract when he's missed 26 of the last 33 games.

The neck issue that caused him to miss 2020 was particularly concerning...........there was a lot of talk about him never playing again during that.

Seems like another one of those situations where teams might not be able to justify giving up the requisite draft capital to make it of equal value for Minnesota to give him up........especially when there is a pretty shiny class of early round pass rushers out there this year.

Definitely A LOT more warts on Hunter than there was Diggs.

Also worth noting that he's played LDE almost exclusively in his career.........which is where Groot is positioned.    Hunter may still be able to handle LT's.........but they are generally better pass blockers.   Would really like to see a proven RDE pass rusher if I am trading top picks and giving out a new big money deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And before you anoint their pass rush,  remember the Bengals gave up 31 in regulation to the Chiefs at home in Cinci a few weeks earlier.

Okay... that's still 5 less points and would have been the difference in our game.

I'm not betting on the Chiefs to play a bad game. Quite the opposite, I want our defense to be able to force them into one. Or at least force a punt more than once or twice. It's hard for our offense to perform much better than it did in that game and it still lost.

I don't think trying to make out shootout win percentage 1% higher is a good strategy. Those games are always 50/50. The Chiefs had the ball last so they won. No amount of offensive skill players tilts the clock in our favor.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Okay... that's still 5 less points and would have been the difference in our game.

I'm not betting on the Chiefs to play a bad game. Quite the opposite, I want our defense to be able to force them into one. Or at least force a punt more than once or twice. It's hard for our offense to perform much better than it did in that game and it still lost.

I don't think trying to make out shootout win percentage 1% higher is a good strategy. Those games are always 50/50. The Chiefs had the ball last so they won. No amount of offensive skill players tilts the clock in our favor.

If you are being that simplistic.........both the Bills and Bengals gave up 55 points to the Chiefs in regulation in their two games...........and the Bills had to play both games in Arrowhead.

The Bills had the best defense in the NFL this year..........I will give the Bengals credit for broadly adjusting their game plan to the opponent in the second half of the AFCCG while the Bills traditionally refuse to do that under McDermott.......but that game should have been over by then......the Bengals D gave up 24 in the first half and only a total mental lapse by Mahomes in the closing seconds kept it from being 27 or 31.    That play threw Mahomes into a nose dive of bad decisions and inaccuracy like we've never seen from him.  The Bengals didn't play a good game in general........the Chiefs played down to them in the second half.

The Bills could use more pass rush for sure but what hurts them is not being able to adjust their plan against KC.     Pittsburgh had the same issue when playing NE for years..........they were a great D against most anyone else but they weren't multiple enough in their back end to slow down NE when it mattered.     KC is also good at adjusting to their opponent........see the game plan they threw together against Buffalo in the 2020 AFCCG.    The players in the Bills back 7 have on average 4 years plus of experience together..........that familiarity is totally wasted by not mixing things up. 

That's what I want to see from the defense.     Defense is notoriously hard to keep at a high level for more than a couple straight seasons...........but being able to adapt your game plan to the opponent should always be attainable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.