Whitney's Anthem

Hopeful fan

This is part of ESPN's ER-60 series.  It features Whitney Houston's performance of the National Anthem during the Bills' Super Bowl game against the Giants.

The program shows how meaningful the performance was by reminding everyone that the USA was involved in Desert Storm and how much concern there was about national security.

The climax shows Whitney Houston's full performance of the National Anthem.  Still perfect after so many years.

This is must view seeing.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Hopeful fan said:

This is part of ESPN's ER-60 series.  It features Whitney Houston's performance of the National Anthem during the Bills' Super Bowl game against the Giants.

The program shows how meaningful the performance was by reminding everyone that the USA was involved in Desert Storm and how much concern there was about national security.

The climax shows Whitney Houston's full performance of the National Anthem.  Still perfect after so many years.

This is must view seeing.

It was an excellent show.    Must see for Bills fans, IMO.   

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It was spine chilling...never have had anything even close from any other anthem performance

Carl Lewis’ version can’t be far behind for you.  In all seriousness, Whitney’s version gives me chills every time.  Hard to match the significance, her brilliance, and the hopes & dreams of Bills players, coaches, and fans that evening.  If we all only knew what was ahead for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I dunno. A lot of people say it was great.

My unpopular opinion… it ushered in an age of pop singing where many stylists emulate this kind of what I call Elmer-Fudd-sitting-on-a-blender vocalizing. Or like a record skipping on the same note for 30 seconds at a time.

It has been said that if the Anthem takes longer than 45 seconds, the singer is making it about themselves and not about the song & Key’s lyrics.

• Vomit 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Simon said:

Marvin Gaye’s is the best version or Hendrix.

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

My unpopular opinion… it ushered in an age of pop singing where many stylists emulate this kind of what I call Elmer-Fudd-sitting-on-a-blender vocalizing. Or like a record skipping on the same note for 30 seconds at a time.

It has been said that if the Anthem takes longer than 45 seconds, the singer is making it about themselves and not about the song & Key’s lyrics.

Well his song/lyrics had issues.   So, eff him.

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

It was great, but It was not live. It was prerecorded and she was lip syncing. 

You're right, and it's obvious if you just watch the video closely.  Of course the orchestra wasn't faking it, so they must have worked out how to accompany a taped performance ahead of time.  

5 hours ago, UConn James said:

Yah, and screw all that stupid music in the background. Why can't they just have someone read it and get the damn thing over with.... [sarcasm]

WOW - really? Just - WOW! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.