Sean McVay considering stepping away from coaching?

YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

it is beyond a doubt the most fascinating aspect of what could come if the bills do not win the Super Bowl in the next two seasons.

Do they…

1.) Go the Pittsburgh Steelers route, they were winning under Cowher, but kept failing to win super bowl… and they stuck with him.

or

2.) Go to Tampa Bay Buccaneers route they were not reaching their ultimate goal with Tony Dungee and they brought in the assassin Jon Gruden to win the Super Bowl.

Cowher coached them in 2 SB, won 1.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I was not aware he had GM powers.

I am guessing his girl friend still has family in Ukraine and that may be weighing on his mind.

Current troubles in Ukraine may be prompting him to consider leaving the Rams?

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I don't know how they do it with those hours. It sounds like a fascinating job, but even if I were good enough to do it, I wouldn't. I already spend too much time at work, and I spend less than they do.

My family's more important.

I don't have family as such and yet I agree. I already work too much and live too little. The 24/7 coaching grind from basically mid-July to at least mid Jan now with the 17th game must be tough. And it is not as if they then get Feb and March off like the players do, they might just get to have a bit better balance those months. The only proper break is that 5 or 6 weeks before camp. You have to be extremely committed. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Cowher coached them in 2 SB, won 1.

Current troubles in Ukraine may be prompting him to consider leaving the Rams?

That’s the distinction between the two franchises.

Bucs didn’t wait.  They knew they had a Super Bowl team but felt they had to upgrade at coach to win it, and had no issue removing Dungy and bringing in Gruden.

Steelers waited.  It took 14 years and he finally won.

Although you could argue if it was any other franchise than Pittsburgh and their tradition of keeping coaches…Cowher probably would have been fired in the late 90s on another franchise.

Now if Buffalo doesn’t win next season (I’m skeptical) which path do they pick to be.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Bucs didn’t wait.  They knew they had a Super Bowl team but felt they had to upgrade at coach to win it, and had no issue removing Dungy and bringing in Gruden.

Although you could argue if it was any other franchise than Pittsburgh and their tradition of keeping coaches…Cowher probably would have been fired in the late 90s on another franchise.

Now if Buffalo doesn’t win next season (I’m skeptical) which path do they pick to be.

you said Cowher kept losing SBs.  He lost  a single one.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you said Cowher kept losing SBs.  He lost  a single one.

Well, yes.  I said he kept failing to win the Super Bowl.  Which is true.

Every season you don’t win…you have failed to the win the Super Bowl.

Example…Buffalo was a big favorite to go the super bowl.

They didn’t make it,

Hence, McDermott hence failed to win the Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I was not aware he had GM powers.

I am guessing his girl friend still has family in Ukraine and that may be weighing on his mind.

Okay then, 

2 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Well, yes.  I said he kept failing to win the Super Bowl.  Which is true.

Every season you don’t win…you have failed to the win the Super Bowl.

lol...

mass firings anticipated this offseason...

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, NoSaint said:

yeah - only took 16 years of saying it for it to happen there 

New Orleans was below a .500 team during the 4 year span from 2013-2016.  They wasted a lot of prime time Brees with

very bad moves after they went crazy in FAs in 2010 and 2011.

It's been 13 years since they have been to a SB.

But you know all of that living down there.

6 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Lol I hope not…

but eventually, the ax does come down on coaches who have good teams with high expectations and only just win 10-11 games and that’s all.

You’ve set an impossible bar.  Pretty much it would conclude only Belichick should be an NFL coach

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You’ve set an impossible bar.  Pretty much it would conclude only Belichick should be an NFL coach

I personally would not fire all those coaches that don’t win the Super Bowl (soem yes and some no)

and I’ve just observed over many years that fan bases and media eventually run out of patience with head coaches who win but don’t win at all.

No kids yet but I can imagine once you have little ones that being a HC would suck for your wife n kids.

Football is awesome and careers can be great but too much stress is pure evil and your window to be a parent is pretty small.

He'd be the first one ever to be that young, get a ring and then bow out.  

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

New Orleans was below a .500 team during the 4 year span from 2013-2016.  They wasted a lot of prime time Brees with

very bad moves after they went crazy in FAs in 2010 and 2011.

It's been 13 years since they have been to a SB.

But you know all of that living down there.

ironically, driven by their worst contracts - in house signings of core guys like galette and graham. And compounded by their coach being suspended and picks stripped. 

Also they were 11-5 in 2013. How far can you stretch 2010s signing of…. Alex brown? in 2010. 

I think the Saints cap situation and 3 year 7-9 stretch is one of the most misused arguments out there but that is just my humble opinion. 

hell, the rams might be the second worst misuse as they get ready for another appearance after stacking crippling move after crippling move on top of their future that was mortgaged years ago

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

ironically, driven by their worst contracts - in house signings of core guys like galette and graham. And compounded by their coach being suspended and picks stripped. 

Also they were 11-5 in 2013. How far can you stretch 2010s signing of…. Alex brown? in 2010. 

I think the Saints cap situation and 3 year 7-9 stretch is one of the most misused arguments out there but that is just my humble opinion. 

hell, the rams might be the second worst misuse as they get ready for another appearance after stacking crippling move after crippling move on top of their future that was mortgaged years ago

Thank you lol.

• Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

OK I was going by memory on the 2010 stuff.  There was a lot more than Galette and Graham.  I started watching all the NO stuff and 

their history around that time and after the Jairus Byrd signing.  At the time I was all about signing FAs and pushing the cap.

My conclusion was and still is this.  It is as risky as any other roster building technique.  A lot has to do with luck.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I'll help you with that. It's gonna be McDermott and it's not even close 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.