Zuerlein mock draft...Jordan Davis DT

Hebert19

On 2/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, st pete gogolak said:

This is an example of the stupidity of having the free agency period before the draft.  I don't know how good Davis is but if we resign Phillips to a mulit-year deal at starter money and if we get minimal savings by cutting Star, are we really going to draft a DT in Round #1?  I doubt it.  Does anyone know the reason why the draft follows free agency?  Is it NFLPA (free agents make out better) or the owners?  I just don't get it.

this, i would imagine." Is it NFLPA (free agents make out better)" 

This is an example of the stupidity of having the free agency period before the draft.  I don't know how good Davis is but if we resign Phillips to a mulit-year deal at starter money and if we get minimal savings by cutting Star, are we really going to draft a DT in Round #1?  I doubt it.  Does anyone know the reason why the draft follows free agency?  Is it NFLPA (free agents make out better) or the owners?  I just don't get it.

19 hours ago, NewEra said:

He was only brought up to show how fast he recovered….from an injury that was once thought to be career threatening.  He’s back in less than 1/2 a year.  

I bet the titans are pissed that they wasted a few months waiting for Jeffery Simmons to recover from his torn acl.  Meanwhile we passed on him and took Ed.  Ed is a monster in his own right, but Simmons > Ed right now.  There is no doubt. 

3 hours ago, mannc said:

I don’t think the Titans regret drafting Jeffrey Simmons in the first round after he tore his ACL two months before the draft.

😁 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're looking for a guy who can stop the run and be a space eater.

Jordan Phillips is not that guy. Not even that type of guy.

There aren't a lot of good space eaters around. Or even alive. Lots of decent 1-techs? Yeah, maybe. But that's not the same thing.

Oh Jordan Phillips was that guy at Oklahoma

Lance Zuerlein on Phillips............"Read-and-react two-gap nose with ability to eat space and free linebackers".

Final NFL.com mock draft in Phillips year:

39. Chicago Bears:Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma
That transition to the 3-4 just got a lot easier with the large, but surprisingly athletic, Phillips clogging up the middle.

Davis got an extra bump in attention this year playing on the #1 defense in the nation for most of the year but make no mistake........very similar players entering the league.......Phillips declared early but he and 4 year player Davis final year stats were very similar.

Being tall like Davis and Phillips makes it difficult to have the leverage to be a true NT/space eater in the NFL.

FWIW........Danny Shelton was the NT/space eater rated and drafted ahead of Phillips in that draft.........Shelton is an actual space eater who has bounced around the league and had his moments........he played on a vet min deal with NYG last year and is also a forgotten free agent if all you need is a big run stuffer.

They ain't worth much once you drive them off the lot............but hey...........let's use a first round pick on one, right?

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Was a Shrine Game stand out (my thoughts on that: 

It is unusual for a guy that big to have that explosive of a first step. 

I asked how this guy played in the other thread too.........but Noah Ellis is a very high pedigree prospect..........he was actually a 4 star recruit while Jordan Davis was only a 3 star.    

If Ellis stays in the SEC (I think he was originally committed to Ole Miss or Miss St) maybe he's the top NT in the draft class..........it's a position where it's easy to get lost in the college game.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.