Zuerlein mock draft...Jordan Davis DT

Hebert19

16 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

He has us taking Jordan Davis DT (Georgia)   As a Dawgs fan this is my perfect pick.  

1.   He's a physical freak.  6'6 340 and quick off ball.  

2.  Allows us to cut or trade Star post June 1 and save cap space.  (Use this to restructure diggs)

3.  Perfect pairing for Oliver.  Eats blockers and occupies space. 

4.  Will make Edmunds and Milano better. 

Thoughts on pick if he's there?

If he was to fall to us that would be a GREAT get for this team & they could let Star walk save that cash to pay Davis i hope this happens but i've talked to some that say he will go some where around 16 .

Honestly, either one I'd be fine with, but I don't think that Beane is staying put at 25.    Too close to the summit to not get one player to put us over the top.   I know they talk about building for the long-term, but seeing the Bengals with all of their deficits in the SB its gotta be burning the McBeane organization that it could (should) have been us.   

18 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

He has us taking Jordan Davis DT (Georgia)   As a Dawgs fan this is my perfect pick.  

2.  Allows us to cut or trade Star post June 1 and save cap space.  (Use this to restructure diggs)

I would still want to keep Phillips 

5 hours ago, Utah John said:

Sure, let's ignore the offense for another year.  

In the guns and butter debate that economists like to have, defense is guns and offense is butter.   We keep thinking we can win by investing more and more and more into the defense, and let Josh and Stefon and Gabe figure out how to score points with an O line that's shedding players, and no depth and no real playmakers at RB and TE.  Then when that doesn't work we'll blame the problems on the new OC.

A society that puts all its money into defense and nothing into helping its citizens develop, won't amount to much for very long. A team that can't stop fixing its defense long enough to keep its offense healthy won't win a lot either.  

Please. You can act like we've ignored the offense. It's still not true. You can act like the only way we can address the offense is with our first round pick. Not true, though.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The Patriots game? Where we scored a whooping 10 points and they scored 14?…. They lost that game because the offense couldn’t score despite numerous opportunities to do so. 

There was literally ONE loss last season where their inability to stop the run was the main reason they lost.(Colts) 

And have the “big space eater makes Edmunds so much better” theory is tiresome.  

"The Patriots game?" you ask?

Glad I could help. Yes, the Patriots game. How did the Pats score their first TD? Remind me. Wait, wasn't it a long run? Oh, yeah, it was. So, what would the score have been if they had stopped that run? 10-7, Bills, right?

So, yes, the Patriots game.

And I didn't say anything about "the main reason they lost." I said, "Problems with run defense was a major factor in two or three losses this year." The reason I said that ... was that problems with run defense was a major factor in two or three losses this year.

And yeah, I can see how the "big space eater makes Edmunds better" theory might be tiresome for someone who doesn't like Edmunds. Still true, though. All you have to do is go back to Ray Lewis and remember how about halfway through his career people said he'd regressed badly and simply wasn't the guy he'd been. Wackily, it was just after Siragusa left, and coincidentally it was just when they replaced that one space-eating DT with another, Ngata, that Ray suddenly became all-world again after he wasn't fighting through Gs and Cs coming right through the middle at him every play. Space eaters help LBs to run free, and that's how McDermott's defense is designed. 

Yup, people find plenty of really smart, true things tiresome. I get that. My kid finds it tiresome when I say, "Look both ways before you walk." My wife finds it tiresome when I say, "We can't spend more than we make."

Tiresome but still words to live by.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Anyone who selects a DT with their first pick in the draft has no understanding of value, by which I mean how a player added to the team can make a difference between wins and losses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he could play 1 tech in a 4-3, but it isn't his best fit in the NFL in my view. I think he will be a lot higher on the boards of 3-4 teams than 4-3 teams.

Yeah and it's rare when someone that tall and that heavy in the gut can actually play with the leverage needed in the run game to dominate at the level people will expect from this guy.

It's easy to shrug off Jordan Phillips comparison because we've had the benefit of watching him get pushed around as a 1 tech when he got snaps there in Buffalo.............but his draft profile was as a "Read-and-react two-gap nose with ability to eat space and free linebackers".

People expecting Davis to be Vince Wilfork or Damon Harrison don't understand how their short frame/long arms combinations worked to help them anchor and disengage. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Seems like a Vince wildork type move.  But like others have said we keep spending such high picks on the d line. I’d like to see a high pick at wr or o line to keep this offense at the top

He's not like Wilfork.........VW was built like a fire hydrant.

Davis is built like Jordan Phillips.

If he gets in better shape maybe he can be a different kind of player than he was at Georgia.............John Henderson was a great pass rusher at 6'7" 340............but he was built different and he played a different style in college.

If Davis excels as a nose tackle type like a Wilfork or Snacks Harrison it will probably be a first time that some that tall had done so.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This guy is  a beast--he would be a huge get at 25.  Doubt he will be there.

Trapasso has Bills drafting Jameson Williams's freshly shredded ACL at 25, lol

Because athletes don’t recover from knee injuries nowadays…..it’s 2022. 

Cam Akers tore his Achilles on July 20th and was playing less than 5 months later.  

Williams is a perfect fit for this offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Because athletes don’t recover from knee injuries nowadays…..it’s 2022. 

Cam Akers tore his Achilles on July 20th and was playing less than 5 months later.  

Williams is a perfect fit for this offense.  

yes, all tears are the same and every athlete fully recovers to pre injury performance in less than a year. 

Akers is back, yes.  Caught a few passes.  Bunch of carries for 2-3 yards. 

you left out the part that he was injured after his first season, not a couple of months before the draft 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Seems like a Vince wildork type move.  But like others have said we keep spending such high picks on the d line. I’d like to see a high pick at wr or o line to keep this offense at the top

If Star wasn't so useless this wouldn't even be an issue. And Harry's nice but hardly elite. I know this incessant picking of high DL players is getting old but unless you think we can ever outscore KC in the playoffs,  I don't know what to do.  We can turn Josh and this offense into arena football and win games 49-48 every week? I don't have the answer? I'm just so sick and tired of seeing our defense fail in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The got Barmore in the 2d last year.  Not sure they go DL again.

I understand that, but he’s gone DT in consecutive years before. I doubt Davis is gonna fall to the Pats*** anyway, but I suspect Belichick just won’t be able to resist if he does. 

27 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm just so sick and tired of seeing our defense fail in the playoffs. 

It has failed twice against Kansas City. It is a Kansas City issue not a playoff issue. Looking at the other 4 playoff games the last 3 years and the Bills have been fine on defense. I still think the biggest defensive move they can make to match up better with KC is getting another corner with enough physical ability to press at the line. I can be talked into the idea of another pass rusher at #25 depending how the board falls, but a receiver, a tackle or a corner would all be bigger priorities IMO. 

And we don't have to outscore everyone. But that might be the way we beat KC. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

yes, all tears are the same and every athlete fully recovers to pre injury performance in less than a year. 

Akers is back, yes.  Caught a few passes.  Bunch of carries for 2-3 yards. 

you left out the part that he was injured after his first season, not a couple of months before the draft 

I don’t see the relevance.  To s*** on picking Williams @25 is 👎🏻.  He’s a helluva player and while he won’t be 💯 by week 1 or maybe this year, he likely will be by year 2-5 and beyond.  He’s electric.  We need electric, even if it means not having his full capabilities until 2023 and beyond.  I’d rather have London, Wilson and maybe olave, but there’s a chance all are gone and he’s the next best guy, who was probably the #1 guy before injury. Worth it imo

Edited by NewEra

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

fills 1 of our 3 biggest needs

CB
DT
IOL

When Beasley, McKenzie and Sanders leave this offseason..........which all seem likely for different reasons.........WR becomes a big and long-term need for a team that runs a lot of 3 wide.

They could address that in FA but short term needs are definitely best addressed in UFA.

If Phillips is re-signed and Oliver has his option picked up........as is to be expected in both cases........then DT becomes a short term need with Phillips and Oliver under contract in 2022-2023.   Zimmer and Basham provide 3T options.   A DT1T to provide 40% of the snaps can be found cheap in UFA.    Keep in mind the Bills don't always employ a 1T or Nose.........when defending big leads they can go with two 3T........so it's not even a 100% snap position.

If the Bills are going to draft a Georgia DT in round 1 they would be better off with the more versatile Devonte Wyatt..........315 and can play both 1T or be Oliver's replacement down the line.

CB is a short term need if not really more of a "want".........as they can still be a top ranked defense with White, Johnson and Jackson and some reserves they like...........it's the position most easily coached and schemed upward in this D.   

Interior OL is a long term need with all but maybe Bates being unlikely to be with the team in 2023.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.