Zuerlein mock draft...Jordan Davis DT

Hebert19

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

He has us taking Jordan Davis DT (Georgia)   As a Dawgs fan this is my perfect pick.  

1.   He's a physical freak.  6'6 340 and quick off ball.  

2.  Allows us to cut or trade Star post June 1 and save cap space.  (Use this to restructure diggs)

3.  Perfect pairing for Oliver.  Eats blockers and occupies space. 

4.  Will make Edmunds and Milano better. 

Thoughts on pick if he's there?

why would such a player still be available till the 25th pick of the draft?

7 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

He has us taking Jordan Davis DT (Georgia)   As a Dawgs fan this is my perfect pick.  

1.   He's a physical freak.  6'6 340 and quick off ball.  

2.  Allows us to cut or trade Star post June 1 and save cap space.  (Use this to restructure diggs)

3.  Perfect pairing for Oliver.  Eats blockers and occupies space. 

4.  Will make Edmunds and Milano better. 

Thoughts on pick if he's there?

Does he come with a MLB that takes Edmunds off the field?

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just pick up 6' 6" 340# Jordan PHILLIPS off the street when the Cardinals release him in the next month if you want a player that size with "off the charts physical gifts" that you can't trust to live up to them.    At least that Jordan has actually played well in the NFL at times and would likely be dirt cheap.

Or wait until late in the draft and take a shot at one of the other equally gigantic but unsung DT's that are available in this draft.

Save your #1 pick for someone that plays a position with a $30M aav ceiling because there are always good run defending DT's available for reasonable rates in UFA.

Gosh I really hope Davis turn out to be the player I think he is. You will look foolish for this comparison. No way Davis makes it to 25. He will have an excellent career. Btw, plenty of “fat guys” as you like to call them, have had amazing careers in the NFL. I’m not responding to anymore of your posts on this subject. Just putting my take on the record. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Mainly 4-3, same defense as Alabama. 

Only reason I wouldn't love this pick is because they know he can only play 2 maybe 3 downs before he needs a breather. He is a freak though.

That's the kind of guy they have there historically. Fans don't love it, but McDermott has always had an eight-guy platoon system. And his front seven is light and the way he wants to get away with that is to have that one guy in the middle who's absolutely huge at 1-tech and is generally a 2-down guy. That's the McDermott system.

Don't know whether they will or would take Davis, of course, but he's absolutely just the Bills type.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Seriously… the obsession with the big 1tech up the middle so this defense can “stop the run” is so overblown… how did their inability to stop the run cause them to lose to KC in the divisional round? 

Give me WR, OL, or CB with the first round pick. 

You ask how their inability to stop the run caused them to lose to KC? And you're really not sure of the answer?

Problems with run defense was a major factor in two or three losses this year.. The First Pats game, the Colts, probably one or two more.

We win even one of those games and we play the Chiefs in Buffalo. That's how our inability to stop the run caused us to lose to KC in the divisional round.

Not that I'd mind WR, OL or CB. Or pass rusher. Not a bit. But a great space-eater instantly makes Oliver and Edmunds better as well. Star's availability issues are real and had consequences. He wasn't the same guy after Covid. IMO they'll absolutely consider this if Davis is still on the board when we pick.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sure, let's ignore the offense for another year.  

In the guns and butter debate that economists like to have, defense is guns and offense is butter.   We keep thinking we can win by investing more and more and more into the defense, and let Josh and Stefon and Gabe figure out how to score points with an O line that's shedding players, and no depth and no real playmakers at RB and TE.  Then when that doesn't work we'll blame the problems on the new OC.

A society that puts all its money into defense and nothing into helping its citizens develop, won't amount to much for very long. A team that can't stop fixing its defense long enough to keep its offense healthy won't win a lot either.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Sure, let's ignore the offense for another year.  

In the guns and butter debate that economists like to have, defense is guns and offense is butter.   We keep thinking we can win by investing more and more and more into the defense, and let Josh and Stefon and Gabe figure out how to score points with an O line that's shedding players, and no depth and no real playmakers at RB and TE.  Then when that doesn't work we'll blame the problems on the new OC.

A society that puts all its money into defense and nothing into helping its citizens develop, won't amount to much for very long. A team that can't stop fixing its defense long enough to keep its offense healthy won't win a lot either.  

Although I don't disagree with your overall thoughts, I do question the " shedding of oline players and depth ". I am pretty confident that Bates will return. That gives the same starting line we finished with ( barring cuts of course). Dawkins,  Bates,  Morse, Williams and Brown. That's actually pretty good in my opinion, based upon the way they finished the season. Then you have Feliciano as a backup G/C, Ford as a backup G and Doyle as a swing T. Grab a FA or 2 and draft 1 or 2.

Doubt we are going to draft a TE or RB in the 1st and I wouldn't hate a 1st on a wr depending on who, I just don't see it. Just like I wouldn't hate Davis as the pick, I just don't see that as the best route as I think they will re-sign Harry and still have Star if they want to keep him this year.

Edge is a concern, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sign Hughes to a 1 yr deal to have the vet presence and one last go for a ring or even Addison, depending on $. 

My best guess would be BPA in the 1st, but would put a CB first, then WR followed by IOL. Obviously all depends on FA. Just my opinion though. 

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

why would such a player still be available till the 25th pick of the draft?

Well, it's still very early to know. Some mocks, like Cynthia Frelund's, don't have him going in the 1st, while others, like Daniel Jeremiah's, have him earlier (Jeremiah has him going at 21 to New England).

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Meh..we’ve already invested a ton of draft capital on defensive lineman who don’t really get after the QB. I probably wouldn’t be thrilled with this. 

I’m with you on this.  If we drafted him at 25, we’d have spent three first round picks and two second round picks on our current DL.  Then there’s the issue of him being a very one dimensional player.  Don’t get me wrong - he is phenomenal in that one dimension, but it’s still just the one.  And it’s the one that has a lot less value than the other in today’s NFL.  That all said, I can totally see him being the Bills choice if he makes it to 25.  

Edited by BarleyNY

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.