Zuerlein mock draft...Jordan Davis DT

Hebert19

He has us taking Jordan Davis DT (Georgia)   As a Dawgs fan this is my perfect pick.  

1.   He's a physical freak.  6'6 340 and quick off ball.  

2.  Allows us to cut or trade Star post June 1 and save cap space.  (Use this to restructure diggs)

3.  Perfect pairing for Oliver.  Eats blockers and occupies space. 

4.  Will make Edmunds and Milano better. 

Thoughts on pick if he's there?

Edited by Hebert19
  • Like (+1) 21
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He has us taking Jordan Davis DT (Georgia)   As a Dawgs fan this is my perfect pick.  

2.  Allows us to cut or trade Star post June 1 and save cap space.  (Use this to restructure diggs)

I don't watch much college ball. Does Georgia primarily run a 4-3 or 3-4 style defense? 

That would be a real good pick.... but at the same time that would be a lot of high draft picks on the DL in the last 3 drafts

However a freakish sized behemoth for the middle of the DL is still welcomed IMO... Star is undependable

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I'm not a Georgia fan, but I would love to have this guy on the Bills.  Getting him into the rotation with Phillips (who I would like to re-sign) and Oliver on the DL would be a pretty lethal combination.  I can't imagine he'll still be on the board when the Bills pick.  I also love the GA linebacker Dean, although I don't think the Bills have a high need for a LB and he also won't be available by the time the Bills pick.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I am all for building the lines on both sides of the ball. We can certainly use help in shoring up the run defense. If it helps save cap space than that is another plus.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm fine with it if he's actually there and Beane actually picks him. It would mean he's cleared any concerns Beane would have regarding Davis's conditioning and commitment. He'd probably be better off in our rotation anyways, and #25 is easier to risk on a big guy with concerns than #3 overall (Dareus).

Love him as a player when he is on and active. He would be just what our DL needs, physically. Just not sure about the head and the heart.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't watch much college ball. Does Georgia primarily run a 4-3 or 3-4 style defense? 

Well system says a modified 3-4 but they have 2 DT ranked in top 50 because they play 4-3 a ton.  

He could play nose in 3-4 or 1 tech in 4-3.  

1 minute ago, BTB said:

Free Agency?  Good thing there is no salary cap….oops. 

There is with no Hughes Addison and star

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm fine with it if he's actually there and Beane actually picks him. It would mean he's cleared any concerns Beane would have regarding Davis's conditioning and commitment. He'd probably be better off in our rotation anyways, and #25 is easier to risk on a big guy with concerns than #3 overall (Dareus).

Love him as a player when he is on and active. He would be just what our DL needs, physically. Just not sure about the head and the heart.

This is the part that’s so hard to tell. Do your homework time!  He can be a beast when he wants to. I didn’t think he would be around at #25, but what do I know?  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is a great post.  He would get gassed against no huddle (see 1st Bama game).   Not sure if the lack of effort was heart or fitness.  Having said that...I see him as a 50% of snap guy from day 1.  Phillips and Oliver need tp play more snaps in rotation imo. 

Another poster made me aware of him.  As much as people don't want yet another high draft pick spent on the DL, we really haven't spent one on the 1-Tech which is (to me) a different position than that of DE and Oliver's position.  The Bills committed to the smaller 3-tech and MLB that struggles to disengage the opponent's OL, so they really have to firm this position up.  I know the modern trend is to have your DTs be near the same pass rush threat as your DE's, but somebody has to own their real estate.  Davis may not be a pass rusher, but I think he helps the pass rush indirectly. 

Were the Bills to shore up corner and/or interior OL with free agents, I'd be happy with this pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

This is a great post.  He would get gassed against no huddle (see 1st Bama game).   Not sure if the lack of effort was heart or fitness.  Having said that...I see him as a 50% of snap guy from day 1.  Phillips and Oliver need tp play more snaps in rotation imo. 

One could argue that conditioning comes from having the heart to put in the extra work. Although, in all fairness, I'm not sure it's possible for a guy that big who moves that fast and strong to not get winded quickly. Up to Beane to figure it out in interviews I guess.

I'd see him rotating with Phillips and playing next to Oliver. Which brings me to thinking about Oliver and Davis out there at the same time... :w00t:

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

image.thumb.png.4a21054aecd934b21c94e5462b30a365.png

Kirby Smart's Georgia D evolved from a typical 3-4 to this "mint" formation where the 2 DEs in the 3 Down linemen play the inside shoulder of respective OT  aka a 4I technique. Jordan Davis played exclusively as the 0 or Nose technique here.  The ILBs could be smaller and faster to help in pass D against Spread teams.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.