Bills Hire Kyle Shurmur, Son of Pat Shurmur

JGMcD2

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In this case, wouldn't it be "cronyism", since Shurmur does not have a relative employed by the Bills?

An example of nepotism would be our employment of safeties coach Bobby Babich, son of LB coach Bob Babich

I might be wrong but I don't believe nepotism is restricted just to family members although the term is often used that way.

16 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the NFL has a serious nepotism problem. Kyle Shurmur will probably be a head coach some day— just like Kyle Shanahan, Nathaniel Hackett, steve Bellichick, etc.

That is the bigger underlying issue that is a root cause of all the Rooney Rule issues. 

16 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Odd until you remember the level of cronyism and nepotism present in the NFL…

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i will say that I know a lot of really good former college players who would jump at the chance of being a QC coach in the NFL, but instead they are grinding it out and watching film for big high school programs or D3 programs.

Maybe Kyle Shurmur is really good, but his dad’s connections got him this job. 

I work at a vocational training center which oversees Apprenticeship training in the electrical construction industry. Unfortunately there is some nepotism as there is in virtually all industries. In my position I just have to accept it philosophically. One thing I tell the Apprentices is this:

" We don't care how you got here, we only care what you do here."  Everyone is held to the same high standards and there is no favoritism.

Incidentally there's a weird polarization with the 2nd generationers... half of them suck and are clearly riding coattails and the other half are exceptionally excellent having been trained from an early age about the industry, having good role modeling, and not wanting to sully the family name.

Regarding the Shurmur hire, his dad is a lifelong NFL coach who was twice a head coach. His great uncle was a renowned and respected (Super Bowl-winning) Defensive Coordinator.

It's probable that Kyle has a very high football IQ and is extremely well-qualified for this entry level position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nepotism. Alive and well in the NFL. 

Tell me, how big of an issue is it? I don't think it is a problem.

At all.

In fact, if I knew I could hire an up and comer that has a relative that was an NFL coach, that's a plus in my book. 

But, again, how many coaches are there in the NFL.....and how many of those had relatives that were NFL coaches? I bet the percentage is low and it isn't exactly shocking that a kid, or young man, would take an interest in what his father has or is doing for a living.

Edited by Beast

20 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Holler at me when they hire Uhtred son of Uhtred.

if it ends up being name recognition nepotism was the major part of how/why he got the job then he will be kicked to the curb if he fails like any other candidate  We all hope he  is a bright young person  who will excel in this challenge......sounds pretty challenging a job to me really. Cut his teeth full speed into the NFL game doing entry level . Good Luck Young man. -m

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

Tell me, how big of an issue is it? I don't think it is a problem.

At all.

In fact, if I knew I could hire an up and comer that has a relative that was an NFL coach, that's a plus in my book. 

But, again, how many coaches are there in the NFL.....and how many of those had relatives that were NFL coaches? I bet the percentage is low and it isn't exactly shocking that a kid, or young man, would take an interest in what his father has or is doing for a living.

if the hypothetical up and comer has demonstrable talent and is adequately qualified for the position, then there is absolutely no problem with that candidate also having familial connections to the job. 

Question is how often is that the case? I don’t know the percentage, but it ain’t 100%. And that’s why nepotism and cronyism is a problem. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

if the hypothetical up and comer has demonstrable talent and is adequately qualified for the position, then there is absolutely no problem with that candidate also having familial connections to the job. 

Question is how often is that the case? I don’t know the percentage, but it ain’t 100%. And that’s why nepotism and cronyism is a problem. 

Like I said earlier, I'd take it and put it in the plus column that an up and comer knows the life-style and has a sounding board.

A big us.

And, again, how many coaches in the NFL have family ties to former coaches? I bet the percentage is very small.

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good article about nepotism in the NFL.

Bottom line is that 14% of all coaches in the NFL have a biological or marriage relationship to current or former head coaches:

https://defector.com/just-how-big-a-problem-is-nepotism-in-nfl-coaching/

14 percent is small.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I work at a vocational training center which oversees Apprenticeship training in the electrical construction industry. Unfortunately there is some nepotism as there is in virtually all industries. In my position I just have to accept it philosophically. One thing I tell the Apprentices is this:

" We don't care how you got here, we only care what you do here."  Everyone is held to the same high standards and there is no favoritism.

Incidentally there's a weird polarization with the 2nd generationers... half of them suck and are clearly riding coattails and the other half are exceptionally excellent having been trained from an early age about the industry, having good role modeling, and not wanting to sully the family name.

Regarding the Shurmur hire, his dad is a lifelong NFL coach who was twice a head coach. His great uncle was a renowned and respected (Super Bowl-winning) Defensive Coordinator.

It's probable that Kyle has a very high football IQ and is extremely well-qualified for this entry level position.

excellent post 🙂 don't be a stranger post more when you can. GO BILLS-m

Wow! The Bills are taking no chances. Replacing Daboll with four men. Daboll had to be one helluva OC.

LOL, I assumed he was on the offense. Maybe this guy can help the D be better prepared?

or at least, I'm glad to see the D do something to improve the D. It could be the Bills needed someone to do this?

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Incidentally, the industry with the highest level of nepotism is farming.

Think about that for awhile.

I know a little about this and those farmers (in central California anyway) have so much money they don't know what to do with it... They run the towns they are attached to. Incidentally, I think Josh Allen's dad is one of those farmers..... They're poor compared with Josh now though....

Me? Just lucky to be born in the states.... So, rich to most people in the world, poor compared to those in the states. Although...

"To know you have enough is to be rich." - Loa Tzu 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Beast said:

14 percent is small.

14% isn’t small, IMO— especially when you consider that NFL coaching is the absolute pinnacle of that profession. 

I mean, the NFL can do whatever it wants. But they shouldn’t be complaining about minority hiring issues when they don’t do anything to limit nepotism. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Wow! The Bills are taking no chances. Replacing Daboll with four men. Daboll had to be one helluva OC.

LOL, I assumed he was on the offense. Maybe this guy can help the D be better prepared?

or at least, I'm glad to see the D do something to improve the D. It could be the Bills needed someone to do this?

Kyle Shurmur is not a partial replacement for Daboll.  He may be a partial replacement for assistant QB coach Shea Tierney, who ran the Scout Defense that gave the offense its weekly opponent's "looks" during practice (or he may take on different assistant duties and free another assistant for that role)

The two other new hires are also replacements for departing coaches

3 out....3 in

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Although, quality control coach is a low-paid grunt job that doesn't typically involve any coaching at all, it's a great way to start learning about NFL coaching.  Ron River, Robert Saleh, Kyle Shanahan, Todd Haley all did stints at Quality Control when they were young.

Jon Gruden is usually credited with being the first full-time quality control coach.

Kathryn Smith (Bills) is credited with being the first full-time female quality control coach.

Lots of old coaches help their sons get jobs as QC guys.  Shurmur is just one of many.

From all accounts Kyle is a very intelligent dude with some physical limitations. 

I get that he was a quarterback who will be working with the defense. If I need a guy to chart plays and prepare scout teams to help our defense, I want it to be a guy who played QB for our two biggest AFC rivals going forward, KC and Cincy. I think this is a genius, kind of shrewd move and I like it. He would have extensive knowledge of both offenses and he could make a difference for us. 

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Kyle Shurmur is not a partial replacement for Daboll.  He may be a partial replacement for assistant QB coach Shea Tierney, who ran the Scout Defense that gave the offense its weekly opponent's "looks" during practice (or he may take on different assistant duties and free another assistant for that role)

The two other new hires are also replacements for departing coaches

3 out....3 in

He is also help doing what our former #3 QB Davis Webb was doing for he was not just practicing and being on practice squad but breaking down film, polling WRs and QBs whether they liked plays, etc.  There was a lot of stories on work he was doing for Brian Daboll and was how Brian Daboll got his break in NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.