Bills Hire Kyle Shurmur, Son of Pat Shurmur

JGMcD2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hiring a 25 year old ex QB to be quality control on defense strikes me as odd, at least on the surface.

It's not odd. Guys switch sides of the ball often. I'd say it would be requirement if I was in charge to have someone from the 'other side of the ball' working with the coaching staff in some capacity. 

McDermott has spoken before about he's in the offense's meeting and shares with them how he'd attack what they're trying to do..

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hiring a 25 year old ex QB to be quality control on defense strikes me as odd, at least on the surface.

Why? As a QB, he has spent more time studying defenses in his career than anything else. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the NFL has a serious nepotism problem. Kyle Shurmur will probably be a head coach some day— just like Kyle Shanahan, Nathaniel Hackett, steve Bellichick, etc.

That is the bigger underlying issue that is a root cause of all the Rooney Rule issues. 

I’d like to know what industry doesn’t have a nepotism problem. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s likely just trying to get into coaching and took what was available. QC coaches do a lot of dirty work, doesn’t matter what position they played. 

He's also the son of Pat Shurmur who has connection to McDermott.  Doing a favor for a friend.  

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’d like to know what industry doesn’t have a nepotism problem. 

My wife who has 20 years as a manager competes against children of supervisors with almost no experience and loses.

Nepotism can be good (deciding on which candidate to hire as a very low entry position where fit and willing to follow instructions is most important) or bad (people skipping working up career ladder and grunt work due to family ties in non-family owned business),

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

A QB spends a lot of time studying what defenses do, so it makes a lot of sense to me.

Exactly, a QB knows when a defense is kicking azs and taking names. 

48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the NFL has a serious nepotism problem. Kyle Shurmur will probably be a head coach some day— just like Kyle Shanahan, Nathaniel Hackett, steve Bellichick, etc.

That is the bigger underlying issue that is a root cause of all the Rooney Rule issues. 

Societies worldwide have a huge nepotism problem…., it’s how humans do things, for better or worse, it is what it is, we can only acknowledge it and try different things to combat it. Such as the Rooney rule…,

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Hahaha I love dismissing someone getting a job because of their name. He was hired as an entry level coach and you know nothing about his knowledge of the game. Come on, man. 

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I always viewed Pat Shurmur as Jauron 2.0 so I'm hoping that his son has a little bit more of a pulse

He's the defensive quality control coach.  He's not drawing up his own schemes.

In case anyone wonders what a QC coach does:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/11/2043379/the-role-of-an-nfl-quality-control-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

I could have it mixed, but it's my understanding that the defensive QC assistant puts together the film and reports on the tendencies of the offenses we're about to face.  So a former offensive player makes sense in that job

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Hahaha I love dismissing someone getting a job because of their name. He was hired as an entry level coach and you know nothing about his knowledge of the game. Come on, man. 

I think like most things it’s a messaging problem. Quality Coach…really? Other than winning is there another version of quality they’re striving for? Did the other players and coaches not know they were striving for winning…as a ‘quality’? 😂😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.