Bills Hire Kyle Shurmur, Son of Pat Shurmur

JGMcD2

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

What does a Defensive Quality Coach do? 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/11/2043379/the-role-of-an-nfl-quality-control-coach-denver-broncos-football-scouting

Contemporary coaches are always searching for an edge over their opponents. Now that the Computer Age is upon us, the analyzing has become more technical. Many of those coaches have assistants called the "Quality Control Coach." However, the QCC doesn't really do much coaching at all. They spend all day multitasking, breaking down film up to five weeks in advance and analyzing data. They work all hours, in hotel lobbies, on airplanes and at their team's headquarters producing reports for their Head Coach. They do get to do some coaching though. The QC coaches often run the "Scout" team in practices. From their extensive film work and breaking down plays, the QCC can be a great help preparing their team because they know the tendencies of their opponents. They make sure the Scout teams give the starters an accurate look at what they'll face on Sunday in practice during game weeks.

They chart tendencies by down and distance and game situation, stuff like that.

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hiring a 25 year old ex QB to be quality control on defense strikes me as odd, at least on the surface.

Not really.  I'm pretty sure the defensive QC coach is the one who breaks down the upcoming opponent's offense

3 hours ago, JoeF said:

Shea Tierney (exited to become the Giants QB Coach) used to set up the scout team defense to give the offense looks during the week.  Wonder if Kyle will take on part of that role.

Yeah, functionally the Bills lost a couple of guys who were filling the role of QC assistants (Tierney and Webb) so they need to hire

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the NFL has a serious nepotism problem. Kyle Shurmur will probably be a head coach some day— just like Kyle Shanahan, Nathaniel Hackett, steve Bellichick, etc.

That is the bigger underlying issue that is a root cause of all the Rooney Rule issues. 

I think you've got the right problem but the wrong issue.

QC assistant is an entry-level coaching position.  To get promoted from it, whatever his name is, the guy will have to make good and grind.

Here's the problem:

1) They are expected to put in 18 hr days, and are paid peanuts. Who can afford to do that?  Well, typically guys with family support behind them, not college players who were maybe up for a "cup of coffee".   Former coaches have the $$ and understand the coaching food chain enough to provide support.

2) Of the former players hired, PS QB have a leg up.  Who are the PS QBs who stick around in the league from year to year?

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you've got the right problem but the wrong issue.

QC assistant is an entry-level coaching position.  To get promoted from it, whatever his name is, the guy will have to make good and grind.

Here's the problem:

1) They are expected to put in 18 hr days, and are paid peanuts. Who can afford to do that?  Well, typically guys with family support behind them, not college players who were maybe up for a "cup of coffee".   Former coaches have the $$ and understand the coaching food chain enough to provide support.

2) Of the former players hired, PS QB have a leg up.  Who are the PS QBs who stick around in the league from year to year?

i will say that I know a lot of really good former college players who would jump at the chance of being a QC coach in the NFL, but instead they are grinding it out and watching film for big high school programs or D3 programs.

Maybe Kyle Shurmur is really good, but his dad’s connections got him this job. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i will say that I know a lot of really good former college players who would jump at the chance of being a QC coach in the NFL, but instead they are grinding it out and watching film for big high school programs or D3 programs.

Maybe Kyle Shurmur is really good, but his dad’s connections got him this job. 

No one would doubt that connections help.  But Shurmur has been on practice squads for the Chiefs, Bengals, and Washington Football Team.  So it’s entirely possible that the connections he’s formed there are as or more important

Good luck to your friends.  I hope they are able to get their foot in the door.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, msw2112 said:

While it struck me as odd at first, too, this is likey an entry-level position that involves a lot of administrative work, so it might not matter that much whether it's on offense or defense.  I'm just speculating, but maybe "quality control" means making sure that practice and meeting schedules are posted, that a certain number of reps occurred in practice, etc.

EDIT:  While I was writing this, someone posted that quality control coaches watch a lot of film and help create playbooks.

Yes, they review film and put together statistics of how the team does in certain situations (For example, since he’s going to do defense,  the results when they blitz the MLB on 3rd and 10 vs a 5 man O-Line with empty backfield).

10 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hiring a 25 year old ex QB to be quality control on defense strikes me as odd, at least on the surface.

Seems like a perfect fit to me. Isn’t a lot of quality control reviewing game tapes and looking for things that work or don’t?

Having someone that is familiar with playing the game in its current iteration is not only a great start to a young coaching career but could help us with unique insights on both sides of the ball.

Edited by BillsfaninChicago

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Daboll was a defensive QC early on at one point. William and Mary maybe. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Could be a Belichick thing but Josh McDaniel also was a defensive QC for NE.

Yup.  That's how Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry got their start too I believe.

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Yeah, but as NFL royalty, can he wear the crown as well as this guy? 🤔

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9527216011937017fcb41giphy.gif?cid=82a1493brs317zkna2gp06vppx

"Sorry, Dad.  Those were some really sour 'Sour Patch Kids' gummies!"

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yup.  That's how Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry got their start too I believe.

For who?!  Amos Alonzo Stagg?! 😁

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.