Focus On The Offense Draft

H2o

4 hours ago, H2o said:

This is a draft I would like to see if we decide to address the defense in FA with proven NFL players, one that solely focuses on putting young talent around Josh. 

Round 1 - #25. Jahan Dotson / WR / Penn St. - Dotson stands at 5'11" weighing about 185-190lbs. He has speed to burn you deep, is solid in his route running with the ability to slip away from defenders, and he has a knack for finding the soft spots in Zone coverage. He improved every year while at Penn State. He knows when to high point the ball and when to use his body to shield off defenders. He can line up on the outside or play out of the slot. He's a versatile playmaker with speed who would immediately find a role in this offense. 

Round 2 - #57. Zion Johnson / OG / Boston College - The IOL needs some work. The OL really has problems with the more physical front 4's in the league. The only saving grace they have is Josh being so flippin' athletic that he can elude 80-90% of the pressure they allow. Zion goes a long way to fixing that. There was a noticeable uptick in his physicality this year on the field and he showed well in the Senior Bowl practices. This is a good spot to work on upgrading the OL. 

Round 3  - #89. Kyren Williams / RB / Notre Dame - What kind of world would we live in if I didn't mock a Notre Dame player to us? Seriously though, Williams is an Austin Ekeler clone. Same size, same running style, same speed, same hands out of the backfield, solid blocker, he could be a 3-down RB in the NFL. This would be an upgrade to our backfield that allows Dorsey to open things up even more for Josh. A guy the defense will have to watch out for both running the ball and slipping out into pass routes. 

Round 4 - #126. - Charlie Kolar / TE / Iowa St. - At 6'6", 260lbs this is another toy for Josh and this offense. He can play in line or he can split out as he did both at Iowa St. He has the size as already noted, reliable hands, enough speed to lose LB's in coverage, is a solid blocker, and has a good sense of where the soft spots in Zone coverage will be. He would be especially hard to handle in the Red Zone for opposing defenses. Definitely an upgrade at the #2 TE position on this roster, with the ability to slide into that #1 role if Knox gets injured or prices himself out of our range in 2023 FA. 

Round 5 - #166. Obinna Eze / OT / TCU - Eze is another mammoth of a human being at 6'8" and 335lbs. He has a total of 36 starts at LT under his belt between his time at Memphis and at TCU. He could be a versatile piece to backup numerous positions along the OL. 

Round 6 - #184. Tre Turner / WR / Virginia Tech - Going to the WR well again in Round 6. Turner improved at least some aspect of his game every year while at VT. He's also a 2 sport star for VT playing basketball for them as well. The QB situation at VT really hampered his ability to show what he can do, but he is a smooth route runner, has outstanding ball skills, and good body control. He could end up being a steal in the 6th Round. 

Round 6 - #203. Daniel Barker / TE / Illinois - Another swing at a TE as we can agree it was one of the weaker positions on the offensive side of the ball. Barker is another guy who possesses talent, but suffered from inconsistent QB play. He's more developmental that Kolar, but he has all the tools to be a #2 TE on an NFL roster. 

Round 7 - #228. Ryan Wright / P / Tulane - The search for the all elusive consistent punter in the NFL continues, for us anyway. Wright averaged 47.5yds per kick on 51 attempts. Out of those, 16 of those 51 punts went for over 50 yards and 17 of them were pegged inside the 20 yard line. It's worth a 7th to take a shot on a punter at this point. 

Round 7 - #243. Andrew Stueber / OL / Michigan - This is another OL depth piece as we look to find ways to upgrade the unit. Stueber is another guy who is just a massive human at 6'6" and 340lbs, but he has played all over the OL in his college career. Versatility and some ability to work with is all you can ask for at this point in the draft. 

Only if we had double the picks we have.... Imho, the D needs more help than the O...but we have to be careful that we have the weapons and protection needed.

57 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This team needs a pass rush and that needs to be the focus,  as well as another CB

That's a fact.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Too high for Dotson for my tastes and after the Senior Bowl don't think Zion lasts that long sadly. 

Williams will be a great 3rd round pick for someone. I doubt it is the Bills though.

From what I have read, this would be a good year to trade down. Better perhaps to have a few more picks in the 2nd & third rounds. More than anything though, we have to address CB because of Tre's injury.

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This team needs a pass rush and that needs to be the focus,  as well as another CB

We had a very solid pass rush last season.  We don’t have an ELITE pass rusher.  Acquiring one of those is much easier said than done.  We need to solidify the wall in front of 17 and give him more weapons.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Right now to my eyes (and granted not everyone listed will end up a FA) IOL and WR are 2 of the deepest areas of the FA market. I'd like to see the Bills get 1 WR there and draft one as well. 

I'm curious to know what the profanity filter thought you wanted the Bills to do the the WR before you edited it. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, billykay said:

From what I have read, this would be a good year to trade down. Better perhaps to have a few more picks in the 2nd & third rounds. More than anything though, we have to address CB because of Tre's injury.

I feel like people say that every year. I think the tiers in the drop off points in this class come:

After the top 3

Then after about the top 8

Then after about pick 45

Then after about pick 70

The issue will be finding a team who wants to come up to that spot. I could see maybe Denver if they pass on a QB at 9 and don't land Rodgers... that would mean them moving up to #25, us going back to #40 and picking up #75. That would put you in striking distance with a small trade up in the third of three picks in the top 70. That works for me. 

Detroit coming up from #31 or #32 to #25 if Malik Willis is still on the board (not sure he will be) is another possibility but the problem with that is by the trade chart the most that sort of trade is "worth" is a 4th rounder and when San Francisco made almost exactly that trade two years ago to up to the Vikings spot and take Aiyuk they gave up a 4th and a 5th. The Lions do not have a 4th or a 5th. 

Edited by GunnerBill

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I feel like people say that every year. I think the tiers in the drop off points in this class come:

After the top 3

Then after about the top 8

Then after about pick 45

Then after about pick 70

The issue will be finding a team who wants to come up to that spot. I could see maybe Denver if they pass on a QB at 9 and don't land Rodgers... that would mean them moving up to #25, us going back to #40 and picking up #75. That would put you in striking distance with a small trade up in the third of three picks in the top 70. That works for me. 

Detroit coming up from #31 or #32 to #25 if Malik Willis is still on the board (not sure he will be) is another possibility but the problem with that is by the trade chart the most that sort of trade is "worth" is a 4th rounder and when San Francisco made almost exactly that trade two years ago to up to the Vikings spot and take Aiyuk they gave up a 4th and a 5th. The Lions do not have a 4th or a 5th. 

Think Houston could be a sleeper choice?

1 minute ago, Mattymafia said:

IF the Alabama WR falls to 25 the Bills should take him over anyone else. 

I’m starting to warm up to Alec Pierce a little later. Gotta see his time at combine though

56 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Not one CB? Tre coming off an ACL and Wallace is FA, plus Dane is not ready to be an everyday CB2 IMO.

You must believe they will address CB in FA. 

The premise of this mock was based on the idea that we use FA to address the defense with proven, NFL players. Then in the draft we go all offense. I know it will not work out that way, but it's a thought. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Think Houston could be a sleeper choice?

Personally? No. That team needs everything and Davis Mills played well as a rookie. I'd be shocked if they go Quarterback. Especially hiring a defensive guy like Lovie. I think they try and fix the defense this year and evaluate Mills. If they need a QB next year then maybe. 

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

If Dane isn’t ready, what makes you think a draft pick will be? I don’t see any Patrick Surtain or Jalen Ramsey’s in this draft

Oh I agree. I don't see a Day one starter in the draft, at least where we pick. Which means it has to be addressed in FA. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.