2022 HOF class

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I believe Boselli is more deserving. Because of the injury situation in the NFL, I think the Sandy Koufax rule applies for their HOF more than in any other league. That is, a five-year span of greatness counts for me more than 12 years of very good-ness. Boselli was the best o-lineman in the league from 1996-2000 (his rookie year was 1995). He was truly a dominator. The same logic applies to Gale Sayers and Terrell Davis. (Always bear in mind that Davis had a ridiculous 1,140 yards and 12 TDs in 8 post season games -- which translates to 2,280 yards and 24 TDs over a 16 game season against the best competition.) As for Sandy Koufax, he had 5 amazing season in a row (1962-1966) and one good season (1961). He retired after the 1966 season. Before that, he wasn't much of anything. But he certainly deserves being in the HOF. 

You do make sense about injury shortended careers in the NFL. But as far as Bosselli being the best offensive lineman of that time span, I am saying no freaking way. Orlando Pace might be the best in any  time span. Do you remember when the Rams won that Super Bowl? Warner had all week to stand in the pocket and throw. Pace opened holes for Faulk big enough for my grandmother to run through.

Again, I totally agree about great careers in the NFL being cut short by injuries.  That said, Pace was better than Bosselli, Walter Jones, or anyone else that I have ever seen play LT. (At RT, Erik Williams).

As always, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, chongli said:

I am not surprised. Andre Reed had a higher YPC average (13.9 vs. 13.4) and more receiving TD's (87 vs. 70) in his 15-year career (vs. 12 for Johnson) and had to wait eight years to get in.

Using a .5 YPC stat to strengthen an argument means there isn’t really an argument using that stat.

TD’s sure.

Other than that, Johnson had more catches, yards, yards per game eTc.

The easiest argument here is “era.” 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You do make sense about injury shortended careers in the NFL. But as far as Bosselli being the best offensive lineman of that time span, I am saying no freaking way. Orlando Pace might be the best in any  time span. Do you remember when the Rams won that Super Bowl? Warner had all week to stand in the pocket and throw. Pace opened holes for Faulk big enough for my grandmother to run through.

Again, I totally agree about great careers in the NFL being cut short by injuries.  That said, Pace was better than Bosselli, Walter Jones, or anyone else that I have ever seen play LT. (At RT, Erik Williams).

As always, jmo. 

Pace vs. Boselli is a good comp. I remember Boselli being the best, but maybe I simply watched more of his games because he was in the AFC. They were both great. I agree about Erik Williams at RT! 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

A lot of disappointing comments in this thread.  

Leroy Butler was the 1st person in NFL History to record 20 ints and 20 sacks in a career and was voted to the NFL 1990s all decade team.  He also has a Super Bowl ring.  Absolutely a Hall of Famer, as is Bryant Young *and Sam Mills.

Edited by Chicken Boo

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Announced last night at nfl honors 

Bruce smith announced Boselli

I was surprised Andre Johnson wasn’t inducted in his first year eligible 

Finalists were:

Devin Hester
*Andre Johnson
*Reggie Wayne
*Torry Holt
*DeMarcus Ware
*Patrick Willis
*Jared Allen
*Richard Seymour
*Zach Thomas
*Ronde Barber
*Leroy Butler
*Bryant Young
*Sam Mills
*Tony Boselli
*Willie Anderson

Richard Seymour should not be allowed. A great DE, but not Hall of Fame good.

I'm fine with the other selections. Bryant Young was a terrorizing DT. Sam Mills was overdue.

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Pace vs. Boselli is a good comp. I remember Boselli being the best, but maybe I simply watched more of his games because he was in the AFC. They were both great. I agree about Erik Williams at RT! 

Pace got screwed too, whereas they just kept renewing his Franchise Tag.  He held out several times too as I recall. In the end, he DID make his money.

If we had a LT like Orlando Pace we would be destroying the Rams tomorrow. :( 

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

As always, jmo. 

Yeah a lot of people think Reggie White was the best DE of all time............and Erik Williams made him look like a bum.   Once threw a full blanket on him in a playoff game.......zeroes across the board statistically.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah a lot of people think Reggie White was the best DE of all time............and Erik Williams made him look like a bum.   Once threw a full blanket on him in a playoff game.......zeroes across the board statistically.

Lethal weapons for arms and hands.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I tend to think the HOF has too many people in it.  A lot people use the criteria that "if you can't tell the story of the NFL without player X, they belong in the Hall".  I think the story of the NFL can often be told just fine without a bunch of this year's class (all great players but not necessarily HOF players (beyond obviously them actually now being HOF players lol).

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

If we had a LT like Orlando Pace we would be destroying the Rams tomorrow. :( 

I love Orlando Pace but even with him we might need someone to play the other spots on the line. Left tackle is actually the one spot where we have a proven good player, though clearly nowhere in the Orlando Pace class. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.