Addressing the RB position

smuvtalker

Like the great majority of you, I was very happy with the play of Devin Singletary from the last 5 games of the regular season (starting at Tampa) and both playoff games.  I thought he ran with more purpose, was more decisive with his runs, and refused to go down on first contact much more so than early on in the season.  He also became more of a threat catching passes, as evidenced by him having 5 multiple reception games in his last 6 games as opposed to 5 in his first 12.  I'm sure it can be argued that some of his success can be attributed to the improved play of the offensive line, as well as finding the right combination along the line.  

As pleased as I was with Singletary, I still ask myself, is he the long term solution at RB we've been looking for?  And personally, I still think we can/should look to upgrade the position.  I know that Beane even said something to the tune of we are always looking to improve at every position.  I like Singletary, I think he's got a good attitude.  When he was demoted he took it in stride, continued to work hard, and when his number was called, he answered the bell.  However, I think he has average speed, and still can be a little indecisive at times when it comes to making a decision which hole to hit, committing to it, making that one cut and taking off.   What I truly fantasize over is that back with that homerun hitting, breakaway speed, the one who's a threat to take it to the house at any given time, from anywhere on the field.  I know they don't grow on trees, but I know they're easier to find than alot of other positions.

looked at the top RB prospects coming out this year, and like QB, there doesn't seem to be any "can't miss" stud RBs coming out this year.  The consensus top backs look like Michigan State's Kenneth Walker, Texas A&M's Isaiah Spiller, Notre Dame's Kyren Williams,  Cincinnati's Jerome Ford, and Michigan's Hasaan Haskins.  Per SI's draft board, none of them project as day one picks.  

It's nice knowing that we have a capable guy in Singletary, but I'd love to see us upgrade at the position, and this off-season.  Moss regressed this year IMO, and I have my doubts as to him ever being the featured back in our offense.   

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I want a fast back to compliment what’s already in the rb room. I’ll take a smaller, quick back from a small school even. 5th round or later. 

That’s what I’m thinking and add a pass catching ability to that would great 

• Agree 1

We may draft another rb this year, but a veteran option may be Raheem Mostert if the 49'ers don't resign him. 

He's coming off an injury that cost him the year and he's nearing 30, but he hasn't had that many carries in the NFL. He ran a 4.32 40 in college and averaged 5.7 ypc in the pros.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Like Kenneth Walker III alot. He's projected late 2nd round.  If he runs around a 4.45 he might go early 2nd?

Yep, currently they have his 40 time listed as 4.46, and projected as a high 2nd round pick.  And for what it's worth, Walker has also been quoted as being the most complete back in the upcoming draft.

The fastest listed prospects 40 times are Cincinnati's Jerome Ford(4.36), and Iowa State's Breece Hall(4.39).

Speed does kill, and I salivate at the thought of having a sub 4.4 back in our offense.....very sexy.  I know speed isn't everything but just thinking about it in the context of our already dynamic offense, my God...

Edited by smuvtalker

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

Improved OLine talent and coaching will make EVERY running back better. And possibly save Josh’s life. 

Indeed it will, but doesn't the thought of having a RB who's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball make this already lethal offense even more potent?

IMO, having a back like that could take the offense to a whole different level.

24 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I’m still certain Etienne was going to be the pick last year.  Need a quick back who can catch 

I thought so too.  Several sites had us taking Etienne as well, and to be honest, I would not have been upset with that pick.  I know Najee Harris had a great year for a rookie with the Steelers, but I don't remember hearing anything about Etienne.  How did he end up doing this year?

15 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Indeed it will, but doesn't the thought of having a RB who's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball make this already lethal offense even more potent?

IMO, having a back like that could take the offense to a whole different level.

I thought so too.  Several sites had us taking Etienne as well, and to be honest, I would not have been upset with that pick.  I know Najee Harris had a great year for a rookie with the Steelers, but I don't remember hearing anything about Etienne.  How did he end up doing this year?

He ended up being injured in camp (or pre-season) and was out for the year 

40 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I’m still certain Etienne was going to be the pick last year.  Need a quick back who can catch 

I thought it was definitely going to be Najee Harris or Etienne. I think when those two quickly went off the board we had to go to plan C. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think any of us would love to have a McCafferey or a Barkley but in today’s NFL the Bills should simply draft someone in a later round. It would be ridiculous to spend any more than that on a position that has proven time and time again in the past decade to be replaceable. 

Edited by recovery96
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

I think any of us would love to have a McCafferey or a Barkley but in today’s NFL the Bills should simply draft someone in a later round. It would be ridiculous to spend any more than that on a position that has proven time and time again in the past decade to replaceable. 

Yup.

Particularly on a team that is going to have a limited number of runs, RB isn't a position you should spend too many resources on.

2 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

As pleased as I was with Singletary, I still ask myself, is he the long term solution at RB we've been looking for?  And personally, I still think we can/should look to upgrade the position.

Is he the long-term solution? Over 5 - 8 years, who knows. Maybe. Over 2 or 3 years, yeah, he very likely is.

Upgrade? Yes. They should be looking to upgrade RB2 and RB3, both from inside and outside of the roster. If they somehow cheaply find an upgrade for Singletary in later rounds somehow ... fantastic.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Improved OLine talent and coaching will make EVERY running back better. And possibly save Josh’s life. 

This also. Very much.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

What I truly fantasize over is that back with that homerun hitting, breakaway speed, the one who's a threat to take it to the house at any given time, from anywhere on the field. 

Most of the time these type of guys dance a lot behind the line and will usually get negative yards but can also break one. The good thing about this offense though is Allens homerun hitting arm so not worried about a speed running back breaking it, just need someone to get nice chunks and move forward. Also SIngletary has shown he can find the endzone which took the bills a while to use him down there

Edited by motorj

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.