• Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
    • Jermaine Johnson, EDGE, Florida State
    • Devin Lloyd, EDGE, Utah
    • David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan
    • Travon Walker, DL, Georgia
    • Demarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M
    • Other

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The rationale that Gunner and I are talking about is getting a good LT prospect and then deciding whether he or Dawkins is better in camp and moving one of them to guard.   I'm assuming Dawkins would be the LT for at least next season.........but that's an every down player either way.

Not all LT's can transition inside........but that is mostly evident in footwork and hand traits on tape that indicate if the player plays well in tight spaces.    From what I've seen........including some actual guard play in place of Incognito as a rookie.......Dawkins is most certainly one of those guys.     He's BEEN a fringy Pro Bowl alternate LT in what might be his prime 2019-current........but I think he might be an All Pro at LG. 

Then if your LT misses time you have another LT talent on hand for the most important position on the line..........rather than moving Brown and plugging in Doyle and making both tackle positions considerably worse(Doyle is REALLY raw and I love Brown's potential but he isn't even good in pass pro at RT yet and he wasn't a LT in college either).

I don't expect a top LT prospect to be left at #25 but I didn't think Rousseau would fall to #30 at this point in the draft process last year.    It's still a distinct possibility because there are a good number of them.

As for the other positions............I'm all about getting a tremendously fast RAC guy to add to this offense.....OR..........signing Gronk and drafting another TE in mid-rounds and going 12 personnel and just using Diggs and Davis as the two WR's in those sets.    

So as much as I value adding a WR........that 3rd WR might not be an every down player..............and of course there are more options there in UFA than there will be at tackle.

It's all too early at this point, but it is the off-season...

While I get your POV, I agree with the poster who said OT in R1 will never happen--they won't move Dawkins inside after paying him LT money, especially when your current LT is already a "fringy" pro bowl alt.

As I said, I think the best indication of the OL improvement is how they protected in the KC playoff games this year vs last: 2 sks and 4 hurrs vs 4 sks and 13 hurrs.   For 2022, the biggest need on the OL at the moment is RG. 

As for backups, you open an entirely new can of worms; e.g. If Diggs goes down, then what?

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing what Beane does in FA. Cheers. :beer:

33 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

We expect to be a Super Bowl contender next season and that means the likelihood of facing one of these young superstar QBs in the playoffs is all but a guarantee. I’m not pinning my hopes on Cam Lewis or Nick McCloud to step in and play at a level that negates having a highly drafted corner. We can hope that’s the case, but can’t bank on it and ignore the position.

Well what cost them home field advantage this season certainly was NOT CB play.........it was the offensive line.

And McDermott is 3-0 at home in the playoffs and 0-4 on the road.

So while we WANT a better CB......and I do think they will address the position with a more physically talented player than Levi/Dane in UFA or the draft..........the Bills NEED a better OL than the one that was terrible in that 3-5 stretch that put them on a gauntlet to get thru the playoffs.

The near 200 carry season pace that Allen went on late in the season to negate the bad OL play is a lot less sustainable than what the Bills got out of Levi and Jackson late in the season.

That really shouldn't be debatable and Beane clearly knows it.

I understand that the focus is on the Chiefs game but one play in a number of areas swings the result..........that very much includes blocking better earlier in the game so that the Bills didn't lose the TOP battle by 9+ minutes,  leaving their defense gassed at the end.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well what cost them home field advantage this season certainly was NOT CB play.........it was the offensive line.

So while we WANT a better CB......and I do think they will address the position with a more physically talented player than Levi/Dane in UFA or the draft..........the Bills NEED a better OL than the one that was terrible in that 3-5 stretch that put them on a gauntlet to get thru the playoffs.

The near 200 carry season pace that Allen went on late in the season to negate the bad OL play is a lot less sustainable than what the Bills got out of Levi and Jackson late in the season.

I understand that the focus is on the Chiefs game but one play in a number of areas swings the result..........that very much includes blocking better earlier in the game so that the Bills didn't lose the TOP battle by 9+ minutes,  leaving their defense gassed at the end.

I agree with pretty much all of this...so do you think they are going OL in the 1st round?  I still don't...I think it will be addressed in FA, and as I've noted elsewhere in the fact they hired a legitimate OL coach.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It doesn’t have to be an either/or proposition. Yes, the Bills need help along the OL, I’m not arguing against that. Yes, the Bills need help in the secondary. There’s a myriad of factors that cost the team home field advantage and those aren’t all tied to the OL.

A boundary CB group aside from White that consists of Dane Jackson, Cam Lewis (who’s really more of a slot), Nick McCloud, and Olijah Griffin, NEEDS a better complement to CB1, and even more so with CB1 coming off a major injury.
I’m not only concerned with how the secondary holds up against Mahomes, I’m concerned with how they’ll hold up against Burrow, Herbert, and any other talented QB in the NFL they’ll have to limit next season and in the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, TPS said:

As I said, I think the best indication of the OL improvement is how they protected in the KC playoff games this year vs last: 2 sks and 4 hurrs vs 4 sks and 13 hurrs.  

Oh man that's wrong.......the pass blocking in 2021 was much worse than 2020...........they offset that in key games and finally permanently late in the season with QB runs........against the Chiefs Allen had 11 rushes in both games this year...........he even had a 15 rush game against Atlanta late in the season........those are pushing RB1 carry amounts.

Not sustainable.

Meanwhile a Levi Wallace level player at CB2 has proven sustainable, if not ideal.

I want to improve both.......but you are whistling past the graveyard if you think the answer is to keep propping up the offensive line with Josh Allen running 10-15 times per game.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

34 minutes ago, eball said:

I agree with pretty much all of this...so do you think they are going OL in the 1st round?  I still don't...I think it will be addressed in FA, and as I've noted elsewhere in the fact they hired a legitimate OL coach.

Yeah I agree,  I think the fact that Beane says it is priority #1 means that it's going to be addressed first.........in free agency.

Round 1 really isn't about drafting for need.............it's about getting foundational players at key positions...........we've even heard Beane start talking about positional value early in rounds so I think the cat is clearly out of the bag from the team aspect.........good front offices have been functioning with a hierarchy of positional value early in drafts for a long time........they just rarely say it.........most likely out of respect to the guys who play the positions further down the list.

If a stud LT prospect is there at #25.......... they may jump on that even though they have already signed a starting guard in UFA.

People shouldn't get caught up on Ryan Bates..........it would be great if he turns into a revelation at guard or center..........but he will be a cheap re-sign and they won't NEED to start him to justify a $2.4M tender.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I agree,  I think the fact that Beane says it is priority #1 means that it's going to be addressed first.........in free agency.

Round 1 really isn't about drafting for need.............it's about getting foundational players at key positions...........we've even heard Beane start talking about positional value early in rounds so I think the cat is clearly out of the bag from the team aspect.........good front offices have been functioning with a hierarchy of positional value early in drafts for a long time........they just rarely say it.........most likely out of respect to the guys who play the positions further down the list.

If a stud LT prospect is there at #25.......... they may jump on that even though they have already signed a starting guard in UFA.

People shouldn't get caught up on Ryan Bates..........it would be great if he turns into a revelation at guard or center..........but he will be a cheap re-sign and they won't NEED to start him to justify a $2.4M tender.

And if Beane has any trends - he tends to go to people with athletic upside.  

Of the players listed there - if linderbaum is there i think you pick him.  I don't think he will be though so its probably moot.  

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Of the players listed there - if linderbaum is there i think you pick him.  I don't think he will be though so its probably moot.  

How Linderbaum tests for size and weight, arm length might affect his draft status immensely.

He was 6'2" 270 and is now reported 6'3" 289.............either way, quite small for any kind of OL..............so not sure about his athletic upside.

Might always need to give him a couple big body guards like Dallas did(at great expense) long ago with Mark Stepnoski...........and you really might not want a 6'4" 300# Ryan Bates next to him at guard.

I know Jason Kelce has been a star at 6'3" 295 recently.........but that's really pushing your luck expecting that............it's like when the Bills took undersized Donte Whitner with the justification that undersized Bob Sanders had excelled as a smaller safety previously.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2022 at 5:34 PM, GunnerBill said:

I agree. He got back to his best at the end of the year. The point of drafting a tackle is not saying "I don't trust Dion" it is that you use 1st round picks on premium positions and that means if you want to upgrade the oline through round 1 you do it by drafting a tackle. If you end up with three great tackles then you work out who plays where later. 

Drafting interior OL in round 1 for need is generally a bad idea. 

Problem with bumping Dion to guard or RT is that he will not want to take a pay cut.

10 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Problem with bumping Dion to guard or RT is that he will not want to take a pay cut.

His roughly $10M annual outlays are a steal for a decent LT and still very reasonable for a good OG.

And IMO,  he'd be more than good at guard.   He's like an All Pro guard playing LT, IMO.

• Agree 3

37 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He wouldn't need to. 

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

His roughly $10M annual outlays are a steal for a decent LT and still very reasonable for a good OG.

And IMO,  he'd be more than good at guard.   He's like an All Pro guard playing LT, IMO.

I feel like I am agreeing you almost too often at the moment..... I must be getting some stuff wrong 😜..... but yes, this is all completely correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:53 PM, dneveu said:

...and how has that worked out so far?f

The drafting has been mostly terrible.

A great example of this is Edmunds.  Athletic freak--very mediocre at best football player.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:20 AM, Nextmanup said:

...and how has that worked out so far?f

The drafting has been mostly terrible.

A great example of this is Edmunds.  Athletic freak--very mediocre at best football player.

Drafting is terrible?  Even if you hate Edmunds - 

Allen, Phillips, Johnson, Neal, Oliver, Singletary, Knox, Davis, Bass, Rousseau, Brown.  

And the Big athlete dudes on that list are Allen, Oliver, Rousseau, and Brown.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.