Better Call Saul - final season April 18,2022

davefan66

3 hours ago, Dr Krentist said:

Great episode. I have a feeling this isn't going to end well for Jimmy.

Yeah, he went full villain going hard at that guy with cancer.  Also, the little foreshadowing with the mini grave fading with him laying in it isn't a good sign

Interesting episode. Didn’t know the title until the show aired.  Figured from the title we’d see BB characters.

Walt looked and acted like Walt. Jesse looked so different and acted too intelligent.  I know they’ve grown older since BB, but man it was weird.

Neat getting a little update on some of the other BB characters.  No surprises.  

Wonder what he heard on the phone when he called Kim’s place of employment?  Doesn’t look good.  Felt she would be safe, now don’t know.

Last few episodes should be great.  We now know we will most likely see what happens to Jimmy, AKA Saul, AKA Gene.  With two episodes showing Gene, that’s the path they chose, not memory law lane with huge doses of BB.  Then again, I’m probably wrong.

Gene is hitting the dirt just as that episode foreshadowed. 
After the Kim call & managing Cinnabon…maybe he no longer cares. He was almost popped in the dept store heist and will probably meet an end in the current ID and credit scam.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, he went full villain going hard at that guy with cancer.  Also, the little foreshadowing with the mini grave fading with him laying in it isn't a good sign

I started getting that feeling.  Man, I feel like we probably have a heartbreaking ending to this show and series. 

Can another spin off happen?

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Interesting episode. Didn’t know the title until the show aired.  Figured from the title we’d see BB characters.

Walt looked and acted like Walt. Jesse looked so different and acted too intelligent.  I know they’ve grown older since BB, but man it was weird.

Wonder what he heard on the phone when he called Kim’s place of employment?  Doesn’t look good.  Felt she would be safe, now don’t know.

Last few episodes should be great.  We now know we will most likely see what happens to Jimmy, AKA Saul, AKA Gene.  With two episodes showing Gene, that’s the path they chose, not memory law lane with huge doses of BB.  Then again, I’m probably wrong.

Yeah I noticed that too.  Jesse looks a lot thicker in the face.

I hope they reveal what was said on the phone where he lost it.  I'm hoping it's something like she moved to Europe or something.  Suicide did cross my mind but I don't think Gilligan would do that.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I started getting that feeling.  Man, I feel like we probably have a heartbreaking ending to this show and series. 

After some thinking.... it could be a trick to give us all a feeling he is going to be in a grave soon, and symbolize that "Gene" is dead.

It doesn't look good though.  Saul going after a nice man with cancer, and making a series of bad decisions really erodes that 'sympathetic figure' veneer.

I don't know how you can have Saul keep on keeping on at the end, and not assume he will have a lot of damaging hijinks later on, which doesn't seem like the writers' style.  To date they have never really left anything open-ended.  You have Jesse, but you were led to believe that he wanted to/could lead a rather un-eventful life in Alaska.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

You have Jesse, but you were led to believe that he wanted to/could lead a rather un-eventful life in Alaska.  

Alaska isn't Siberia - they have TV's and watch the news and the implication was always that the Walter White story was a national story.  I would think that even in a remote place like Alaska, a young man who suddenly shows up with scars all over his face and body would attract some local attention.  Sure he could lam it like WW did in New Hampshire and never leave his cabin but that doesn't fit with Jesse's personality to spend the rest of his life living in isolation.  

22 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Alaska isn't Siberia - they have TV's and watch the news and the implication was always that the Walter White story was a national story.  I would think that even in a remote place like Alaska, a young man who suddenly shows up with scars all over his face and body would attract some local attention.  Sure he could lam it like WW did in New Hampshire and never leave his cabin but that doesn't fit with Jesse's personality to spend the rest of his life living in isolation.  

Sure, but you are led to believe internally, Jesse is generally a kind person and was motivated to lead a normal, quiet life in a small town in Alaska.  Maybe externally, there is a story where someone recognizes him and blows him in, but that is external.  Through the story, we are generally led to believe that if you follow the vacuum-man's instructions, you will be safe.  

With Gene's turn to Saul again, and the pattern of the the 5+ seasons, we see that Saul cannot help himself to schemes and committing crimes, while dragging people in with him.  Now it is far beyond mischief or somewhat harmless petty fraud.   Not only do you have the 'danger' of him being identified and turned in to authorities, you have to assume at this point he will perpetually commit crime until he is dead.  I cant picture these writers leaving that large of a loose end.  

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Through the story, we are generally led to believe that if you follow the vacuum-man's instructions, you will be safe.  

And this proved to be false security, because for some reason Ed set up Saul with the Cinnabon job he foreshadowed which put Gene directly in public view where he was ultimately identified

It was well executed the way they went back and forth with the scenes from BCS and BB. It paralleled Saul breaking bad like Walt did. Saul says to Mike "A guy with a mustache like that can’t be one to make good life choices." and we see "Gene" with a mustache like that. Mike told Saul not to bother with Walt because he was small potatoes. He does anyway and you know how that turned out. The shot where he goes to Walt's school and it turns into the cancer guy's home makes me believe he's making the same mistake.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I noticed that too.  Jesse looks a lot thicker in the face.

I hope they reveal what was said on the phone where he lost it.  I'm hoping it's something like she moved to Europe or something.  Suicide did cross my mind but I don't think Gilligan would do that.  

Don’t think that’s in her character to do that.  I hope not.

Felt like they’d reunite, not thinking that anymore.  Wondering if he survives.  Jimmy was a little erratic in the last episode, not as careful as he should be.  Keep an eye on the new guy he fired.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:26 AM, davefan66 said:

That was my thought exactly.  I was so excited to see Walt and Jesse back, even though it was expected.  But I was a little upset that it seemed like Jesse was way more mature during this scene.  I know in reality he's older, but he's also an actor.  I was waiting for him to screw something up or to just be talking and complaining non-stop, in typical Jesse fashion. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/2/2022 at 8:15 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

While I don't think the writers are going to do this, I was thinking about it after the episode a couple weeks back:

A Gus Fring prequel spinoff.

Again, I know it won't happen, but he's the most compelling character remaining. Diving into his early life and learning what led him to the life we know him to lead in Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad would be cool. With what we now know regarding an apparent repressed homosexuality, it sure seems like there'd be enough material in this character's backstory to get a few seasons' worth of good TV out of.

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

While I don't think the writers are going to do this, I was thinking about it after the episode a couple weeks back:

A Gus Fring prequel spinoff.

Again, I know it won't happen, but he's the most compelling character remaining. Diving into his early life and learning what led him to the life we know him to lead in Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad would be cool. With what we now know regarding an apparent repressed homosexuality, it sure seems like there'd be enough material in this character's backstory to get a few seasons' worth of good TV out of.

I think Fring or Ermantraut (sp?)

Edited by Royale with Cheese

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I thing Fring or Ermantraut (sp?)

Ooh yeah. That would be a good one.

The only problem there is that Mike is visibly getting up there in years. Depending how far back they wanted the prequel to go -- and one presumes it would be centered around his time as a cop -- they might have to use that weird de-aging technology.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Ooh yeah. That would be a good one.

The only problem there is that Mike is visibly getting up there in years. Depending how far back they wanted the prequel to go -- and one presumes it would be centered around his time as a cop -- they might have to use that weird de-aging technology.

Do you ever think a spin off with Pinkman and his life in Alaska would be interesting?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.