Better Call Saul - final season April 18,2022

davefan66

I don’t think anyone annoys me more in better call Saul than the Kettlemans. Betsy is unbearable. I don’t understand it though. Are we supposed to believe she truly doesn’t think they stole 2 million dollars as they were stealing it? And now committing tax fraud? I just don’t get why she keeps up the act of being innocent. 

9 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I don’t think anyone annoys me more in better call Saul than the Kettlemans. Betsy is unbearable. I don’t understand it though. Are we supposed to believe she truly doesn’t think they stole 2 million dollars as they were stealing it? And now committing tax fraud? I just don’t get why she keeps up the act of being innocent. 

It's a very modern-day slant on criminality: if I get away with it, I'm not guilty of anything.

• Like (+1) 1

Just sat down and watched.

***Spoilers***

Loved the opening.  Maybe a little over the top with how absurd the decor was ie: the toilet, but I’m sure this season will explain more.

Love Kim.  Still feels a bit stretched how she wants to go after Howard and how she accepts Saul’s bad side.  Feels a little forced, but has to happen.  I do have a thought on how she isn’t mentioned in BB.  Won’t say it here, don’t want to ruin anything if I’m wrong or right.

The whole Nacho thing at this time seems weird why Gus would cut him loose.  Shows a miscalculation akin to how Gus tolerated Walter’s actions in BB that always seemed to be a stretch then.  No way a cold/calculating guy like him would ever have allowed what Walter to do him like he did.  Would have had multiple back up plans, not just Gale.

The Twins.  Felt a little weird the emotion they displayed when the found the burnt corpse and when the one guy spoke later on.  Shows how important they Lalo is to them.

Kettlemans.  Used them as best they could, now their involvement is over.  

Problem with shows like this spanning so many years is how the characters age.  Most look good, but Betsy sure put a few pounds on and Gus’s henchman Tyrus aged a bit.  mike looks good for BCS, sure has aged since BB.

Great episode, wanted some more oomph because we’ve waited so long.  Have to remember there are a bunch of episodes remaining.

Love it!

Edited by davefan66

On 4/24/2022 at 2:44 PM, davefan66 said:

Just sat down and watched.

***Spoilers***

Loved the opening.  Maybe a little over the top with how absurd the decor was ie: the toilet, but I’m sure this season will explain more.

Love Kim.  Still feels a bit stretched how she wants to go after Howard and how she accepts Saul’s bad side.  Feels a little forced, but has to happen.  I do have a thought on how she isn’t mentioned in BB.  Won’t say it here, don’t want to ruin anything if I’m wrong or right.

The whole Nacho thing at this time seems weird why Gus would cut him loose.  Shows a miscalculation akin to how Gus tolerated Walter’s actions in BB that always seemed to be a stretch then.  No way a cold/calculating guy like him would ever have allowed what Walter to do him like he did.  Would have had multiple back up plans, not just Gale.

The Twins.  Felt a little weird the emotion they displayed when the found the burnt corpse and when the one guy spoke later on.  Shows how important they Lalo is to them.

Kettlemans.  Used them as best they could, now their involvement is over.  

Problem with shows like this spanning so many years is how the characters age.  Most look good, but Betsy sure put a few pounds on and Gus’s henchman Tyrus aged a bit.  mike looks good for BCS, sure has aged since BB.

Great episode, wanted some more oomph because we’ve waited so long.  Have to remember there are a bunch of episodes remaining.

Love it!

Though sometimes conflicted, Kim has been on board with the Slippin’ Jimmy side of things since the series began. 

4 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Interview with Michael Mando/Nacho about the episode.

https://apple.news/Ay89YcLSTRly4i2R97R494A

Funny - I spent like an hour after the episode reading interviews Mando gave to different outlets about the episode which all got released right after - all covered pretty much the same ground - couple more of the better ones

https://www.tvguide.com/news/michael-mando-better-call-saul-nacho-varga-season-6-episode-3-interview/

https://collider.com/better-call-saul-season-6-michael-mando-interview/

- Crazy that every person in the last scene (besides Nacho) dies in BB.  I held out hope throughout the episode some miracle would happen but as soon as I saw who was there in the last scene I knew it was over - no one there could die because they all make it to BB

- Mando talks about how the day before was when Nacho and Mike go in opposite directions - Mike truly breaks bad while Nacho breaks good 

- I held out hope Nacho would make it too because of the reference Saul makes in the deset in BB to Nacho and Lalo - in one of the articles it was teased they may explain exactly what Saul was referring to later on (how cool is it that a couple throwaway lines in a scene would be such a touchstone to a whole world/prequel the writers/creaters didn't even know would exist)

- Over a few days in the last week I went through every Mike/Nacho/Gus scene in every episode (skipping everything else).  It's amazing to see the intricate construction of the storylines weaved and coming together - all having to culminate in the BB timeline

- I was thinking throughout the episode that one of Nacho or Kim could go - but surely the creators couldn't kill both, could they?   Whatever the result is for Kim it seems like it will almost certainly be devestating - even if she survives and it is just their relationship ending it seems it will still be heartbreaking.  At this point I feel like if she got killed or sent to jail it would be a jolt to Jimmy who wouldn't continue down the Saul path - but who knows

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've never hated Gus more.  I also never liked Mike more either.

Absolutely. Was hoping Mike was going to go rogue and somehow save Nacho. But then remembered the twins were in BB so no way he snipes them. Then I got sad 😂

Also, I do not get the vendetta against Howard. He isn’t anywhere near the douchebag that Chuck was. Jimmy can’t take personal responsibility for anything so he blames Howard for Chuck’s death? And why is Kim in on the vendetta. I don’t get it. It actually kind of annoys me because it’s been proven that Chuck was the one holding Jimmy back at HHM, not Howard. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

17 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Absolutely. Was hoping Mike was going to go rogue and somehow save Nacho. But then remembered the twins were in BB so no way he snipes them. Then I got sad 😂

Also, I do not get the vendetta against Howard. He isn’t anywhere near the douchebag that Chuck was. Jimmy can’t take personal responsibility for anything so he blames Howard for Chuck’s death? And why is Kim in on the vendetta. I don’t get it. It actually kind of annoys me because it’s been proven that Chuck was the one holding Jimmy back at HHM, not Howard. 

I actually have a soft spot for Howard because of what you said.  The only time I hated Howard is when he moved Kim down to the cellar doing administrative work.

That's what sucks about prequels.  I didn't get the intense drama when Gus guard was holding a gun towards Mike when he was on the phone with Nacho....Mike is in Breaking Bad.

On 4/19/2022 at 2:58 PM, Nextmanup said:

I'm re-watching Season 5 in full, then rolling into the new stuff.

I'm surprised how much stuff I remember, but also surprised at how much stuff I do NOT REMEMBER!

I think we've now rewatched the first 4 episodes.

Agree. We binged Season 5 before diving into this one, thankfully. So much wouldn't have either made sense or been fuzzy had we not done that. It's always worth a re-watch anyway so it was a bonus. As much as we loved 'Breaking Bad', we like 'Better Call Saul' even more. I didn't think that was possible. Kudos to Vince Gilligan and the gang.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Howard forced Chuck out of HHM(forced retirement), so Jimmy sees this as what put Chuck over the edge, while conveniently forgetting his role in that.

As for Kim, Howard always treats her like some little girl who needs to be saved.....as a strong, independent woman, Kim does not like his "White Knight" routine.

Not to mention the fact that Kim is in love with Jimmy and is currently "Breaking Bad" herself, and would share in Jimmy's millions if the Sandpiper case is settled....these are three good reasons for why Kim is involved.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Howard forced Chuck out of HHM(forced retirement), so Jimmy sees this as what put Chuck over the edge, while conveniently forgetting his role in that.

As for Kim, Howard always treats her like some little girl who needs to be saved.....as a strong, independent woman, Kim does not like his "White Knight" routine.

Not to mention the fact that Kim is in love with Jimmy and is currently "Breaking Bad" herself, and would share in Jimmy's millions if the Sandpiper case is settled....these are three good reasons for why Kim is involved.

They do keep mentioning the sandpiper settlement, so that definitely makes sense. Can’t wait to find out what happens to Kim. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/26/2022 at 3:36 PM, stevewin said:

- Crazy that every person in the last scene (besides Nacho) dies in BB.  I held out hope throughout the episode some miracle would happen but as soon as I saw who was there in the last scene I knew it was over - no one there could die because they all make it to BB

- Mando talks about how the day before was when Nacho and Mike go in opposite directions - Mike truly breaks bad while Nacho breaks good 

- I held out hope Nacho would make it too because of the reference Saul makes in the deset in BB to Nacho and Lalo - in one of the articles it was teased they may explain exactly what Saul was referring to later on (how cool is it that a couple throwaway lines in a scene would be such a touchstone to a whole world/prequel the writers/creaters didn't even know would exist)

There is a picture of those in that scene on the internet.  Didn’t realize the significance to it.  

I also held out hope that the throw away line meant Nacho survived.  Interesting part of the prequel is we know who makes it out of BCS, except Kim.  I do have a theory on what happens to her.

8 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

They do keep mentioning the sandpiper settlement, so that definitely makes sense. Can’t wait to find out what happens to Kim. 

I’d guess the Saul’s mansion with golden toilet was bought with the sandpiper money. 

What an amazing episode.  As much as I held out hope for Nacho to survive, it did feel like it was a tribute episode throughout giving Michael Mando a chance to show off his acting chops.  Loved how he came clean on switching the meds, didn’t expect that.  Hated how he died, but it figured into the premise TBH.  I was almost as stunned by how he died as I was when Han Solo died.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.