Better Call Saul - final season April 18,2022

davefan66

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

Did they really have a parade of witnesses though?  Everyone is dead or in Alaska.

His secretary. Bill Burr, the fat guy...are they alive?  How many guys had he come into contact that could still be alive? the main players are gone for sure but gotta be at least a few that knew some stuff. Plus all the white collar laundering crimes the government wouldn't just bend over and accept 7 years they'd go for it all or nothing. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

She said she looked up conman from Albuquerque and his face popped up. She knew her son was a conman and suspected he was one and when he said the city she looked it up.  Could it have been that simple? Maybe. Especially with how high profile he was. 

The part I thought was ridiculous was that the DOJ would settle for 7 years on his crimes. They have an unlimited budget and would have a parade of witnesses showing he was part of the scheme the entire time. 

Like Saul said, he just needed to persuade one juror. One. Not an impossible task for a good conman in a fictionalized tv drama with no connection to reality. 

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

That was my only "complaint".  How did her character make that leap to Saul simply from her son being arrested.  I might have missed the connection.  But it's a very minor 'complaint'

I think when they first met and talking in her kitchen, he told her he'd never been to Albuquerque. When he was talking to her on the phone about how Albuquerque law is different, I think that's when she realized he lied. She was already growing a little suspicious when she saw him with Jeffy in the garage. Edit: Just saw May Day 10 answer.

53 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Like Saul said, he just needed to persuade one juror. One. Not an impossible task for a good conman in a fictionalized tv drama with no connection to reality. 

And in the end he was right. The one "juror" ended up being Kim.

Edited by Dr Krentist
Just saw May Day 10 answer The Poojer
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://www.theringer.com/better-call-saul/2022/8/18/23310690/better-call-saul-finale-saul-gone-satisfaction

Thought y'all would enjoy the above overview/review of what a great show Better Call Saul was.

I won't bother quoting it. If you want to read a great summary of what made the show excellent, check it out. Not too long a read.

I'm curious to know if the entire series was written out in advance. Everything was just perfectly detailed and little to no fluff or throw away moments.  Almost as if the finale was written first and they backfilled to the beginning 

9 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I'm curious to know if the entire series was written out in advance. Everything was just perfectly detailed and little to no fluff or throw away moments.  Almost as if the finale was written first and they backfilled to the beginning 

That article I just linked claims that no, that was not the case.

It states that Kim Wexler was originally only supposed to be a bit part with a limited role in the show. It also stats that Jimmy was supposed to have transformed into Saul by the end of season one.

It says the same thing about Breaking Bad: That Jesse was only supposed to have a small part, etc.

I'm not sure where the author of this article gets this information, but assuming it's correct, it seems everything was NOT meticulously planned out in advance.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

That article I just linked claims that no, that was not the case.

It states that Kim Wexler was originally only supposed to be a bit part with a limited role in the show. It also stats that Jimmy was supposed to have transformed into Saul by the end of season one.

It says the same thing about Breaking Bad: That Jesse was only supposed to have a small part, etc.

I'm not sure where the author of this article gets this information, but assuming it's correct, it seems everything was NOT meticulously planned out in advance.

Yeah I wrote that as I was reading.  It's amazing how polished it was in almost every way 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Poojer said:

There a some great interviews and podcasts devoted to BCS. Both Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould stated they wrote as they went.  Kinda played to what was going well.  Very collaborative with them and their writing team.  They spent a lot of time tying what seemed like throw away lines to later events.  Both BCS and BB.  I’m sure they had a blueprint, but changed as they went.  Didn’t know that  Kim wasn’t going to be a huge character.  Same as Jesse who was supposed to be gone early season 1 of BB.

The one thing Gilligan said is they mostly knew they’d have Saul in jail at the end, not dead. He also wanted to go out early, and not late.

The podcast I listened to yesterday re: the last episode is Better Call Saul Insider Podcast.  Hosted my BB and BCS editors Chris McCaleb and Kelley Dixon.  Last episode included a huge dose of Bob O.  Good stuff.  Liked it and ended up listening to the very first episode.  Neat tidbits in both.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Mike; he was in better shape and wouldn’t hesitate to fight dirty.

Mike would just set up some clever scenario whereby he didn't have to fight! 

He'd out-think Hank and kill him when he didn't even know it was coming.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.