Better Call Saul - final season April 18,2022

davefan66

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Well if she gets sued I'd think she would be disbarred for ethical reasons as that would be public info right?  She could still volunteer and advise though. 

I thought about that but I took it as Jimmy/Saul in court basically absolving Kim and maybe Howard's wife just goes after him?  He still should have money right?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought about that but I took it as Jimmy/Saul in court basically absolving Kim and maybe Howard's wife just goes after him?  He still should have money right?

The problem is she submitted it to the district attorney's office so the Bar would have access to that statement. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love how they mixed in the regrets from the major players from the two shows.  That was a great way of defining exactly the person who each of them was.  And it just hammered home why Mike has always been my favorite of the bunch.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

AMC has formally greenlit the dramedy series “Straight Man” starring Bob Odenkirk a little over two weeks after announcing the show as in development. The show is based on the novel of the same name by Richard Russo. It is described as a mid-life crisis tale set at Railton College in the Pennsylvania Rust Belt.

i have not found anything yet on the ‘Parish’ series for Giancarlo Esposito that was displayed on the show last night.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, shrader said:

I love how they mixed in the regrets from the major players from the two shows.  That was a great way of defining exactly the person who each of them was.  And it just hammered home why Mike has always been my favorite of the bunch.

I love how the book, the Time Machine, was in Jimmy's flashback with Chuck. Leads me to believe that that moment would have been where Jimmy would have went back to. He would have stayed and chatted with his brother, bonded, and took a different path. And Walt looking at Jessie's watch for a moment when asked about regrets. He maybe wanted to answer with that instead.

Such a well written and shot series. Going to miss it.

• Like (+1) 4

Best possible ending, imo.  I'm always amazed by the creators and writers.

I thought it was going to be super-bleak.  But the way they tied it off, it was actually the best ending for Jimmy/Saul.  He seemed almost at home in prison, and even w/ the plea deal, he would have likely fallen into his old habits again once he got out.  And he really earned redemption by coming clean for the 1st time ever, on everything.

• Like (+1) 5

Wow.  I came to the realization that Better Call Saul was not about Jimmy McGills fall into the world of Saul Goodman, but about Kim.  It was about Kim’s arc.

What an amazing episode.  It wrapped up not only Better Call Saul, but Breaking Bad also.  This episode was a cumulation of 2 amazing series.

I love how we got a good dose of Saul getting a reduced sentence, and got a Jimmy eventually doing  the right thing.

The cigarette scene was amazing, and an incredible tear jerker.

Hands down, the best series finale ever.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

Wow!  i didn't expect that kind of ending.  they really couldn't have done any better to end the series.  i would have been ok fading to black in the room with Kim and Jimmy smoking, but the walk out of the jail was pretty damned powerful and just perfect

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Wow!  i didn't expect that kind of ending.  they really couldn't have done any better to end the series.  i would have been ok fading to black in the room with Kim and Jimmy smoking, but the walk out of the jail was pretty damned powerful and just perfect

Oh yeah it was.  I had to take a deep breath when it was happening.  

• Like (+1) 2

I'm a bit late to this conversation (I watched the show a day late on DVR), but holy cow.

What a finale, what a show.

I'm struck by the way in which Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad were the same type of story -- the descent of two decent men down a slippery slope of moral decay -- and yet were completely different shows. They shared the DNA of the Gilligan/Gould writing team, of course -- the meticulous detail, the rich visual tapestries, the carefulness and deliberateness -- but whereas Breaking Bad was loud, violent, bombastic, dramatic, and at times operated at a breakneck pace, Better call Saul was quiet, staid, understated, and subtle. It was as if Breaking Bad was the Id, and Better Call Saul the ego/superego. 

And whereas Walter White steered into his worst impulses and ultimately went down in a violent blaze of glory (sure, he helped Jesse and killed some nazis, but he was certainly no hero by the series' end), Jimmy sought redemption, ultimately doing the right thing and choosing to pay for his sins rather than weasel out of consequences for the millionth time.

When looking at Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul together, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more well written, well told, well shot, well acted couple of shows in my life. Between the story arcs, the character development, the visual tapestries, the carefully planted easter eggs in almost every episode that often foreshadowed future events or colored the story in an extra shade...I just really can't say enough about the job Gilligan and Gould did on these shows.

I may be in the minority, but I think that overall, as much as I loved Breaking Bad, I might have preferred Better Call Saul. It was as if the showrunners took everything they learned and perfected while making Breaking Bad and applied it to Better Call Saul. 

As for the finale...most everything has already been said, but...I especially liked the three flashback scenes to the three formative characters in Jimmy's life, and of course the ending scenes with Kim. That may -- MAY -- have been the best series finale I can ever recall seeing. Just exactly perfect.

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, gomper said:

Irony was a main running thread throughout the series. Jimmy starts by manipulating the elderly, and in the end,, an elderly Carol Burnett exposes him. One of a million examples of playing the long game as a writing team. 

That was my only "complaint".  How did her character make that leap to Saul simply from her son being arrested.  I might have missed the connection.  But it's a very minor 'complaint'

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

That was my only "complaint".  How did her character make that leap to Saul simply from her son being arrested.  I might have missed the connection.  But it's a very minor 'complaint'

Throughout the episodes, she began to grow a little suspicious.  At one point Gene excused him and Jeff from the kitchen to speak in private.  She rolled by the garage once when they were looking at stolen goods and they pretended to work on a car, and she observed the 3 schmoes suspiciously meeting in the garage at night.

So Gene called her to get Jeff out of police custody.  He seemed very educated on the legal system.  At one point he slipped, saying bondsmen arent needed in Omaha, and it isnt like Albuquerque which perhaps gave her a clue that he could be from there.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Throughout the episodes, she began to grow a little suspicious.  At one point Gene excused him and Jeff from the kitchen to speak in private.  She rolled by the garage once when they were looking at stolen goods and they pretended to work on a car, and she observed the 3 schmoes suspiciously meeting in the garage at night.

So Gene called her to get Jeff out of police custody.  He seemed very educated on the legal system.  At one point he slipped, saying bondsmen arent needed in Omaha, and it isnt like Albuquerque which perhaps gave her a clue that he could be from there.

Makes it seem a little more plausible, but wish it was a bit more played out on how he was caught.

Ultimately, it was about him getting caught but more about him finally doing the right thing.

55 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

She said she looked up conman from Albuquerque and his face popped up. She knew her son was a conman and suspected he was one and when he said the city she looked it up.  Could it have been that simple? Maybe. Especially with how high profile he was. 

The part I thought was ridiculous was that the DOJ would settle for 7 years on his crimes. They have an unlimited budget and would have a parade of witnesses showing he was part of the scheme the entire time. 

Edited by aristocrat
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

The part I thought was ridiculous was that the DOJ would settle for 7 years on his crimes. They have an unlimited budget and would have a parade of witnesses showing he was part of the scheme the entire time. 

Did they really have a parade of witnesses though?  Everyone is dead or in Alaska.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.