Better Call Saul - final season April 18,2022

davefan66

3 hours ago, The Poojer said:

My biggest problem from the start was Kim and Saul going about their day with no visible signs of trauma or being shaken by what happened the night before.  Then all of a sudden in the motel it all floods back. I know they're kinda psychotic with their emotions, but I found it very hard to swallow.  

The Gus wine thing has to be a bigger deal.

Didn't get Mike suddenly needing to go visit Nacho's father.  Just seemed so damn random and unnecessary 

I thought the Gus scene seemed unnecessary too until they had the dramatic cut to Saul in BBS2. Probably the last we'll see of Gus. So focused on revenge/business that he can't enjoy himself and live life.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, davefan66 said:

I’d expect Mike to hone his trade these last episodes.  

Rumors are they tie into the BB universe.  

Great episode. Did not expect Lalo to die.  

I am a little frustrated by Mike telling Saul that Lalo "isn't coming back", presumably to keep intact the famous "Lalo didn't send you?  No Lalo?" line in BB.  Prior to the failed assassination attempt he told him Lalo was going to die, so why wouldn't he tell him when he actually knew Lalo was dead?  

• Like (+1) 1

Tough crowd up in here. I liked everything about this episode. Elegant story telling. Regarding the Gus wine scene at the bar, he was repressing his homosexuality (remember we learned his gay lover was killed by Don Eladio in the flashback scene in BB), which is an insight into his psyche. Whether it was necessary or not is up to the viewer of course, but I appreciated where the writers were going. 

• Like (+1) 3

Wow. Simply, wow.

Such a great episode and really a great way to jump the timeline.  There was a few years to go before BB universe starts and couldn’t for the life of me figure how they would get there in the last few episodes.  I guess “next scene” does it. 

I am incredibly sad Kim is done (for now), but happy she doesn’t die (for now).  I expected her to order a vacuum part and ride off to be honest.  I do think her and Gene Takavic somehow get together.

The scene with Gus and the wine guy surely is a nod to his homosexual side.  Weird placement, but I am sure it is relevant over the next few episodes.

He mentions the “public masturbator”. It has to be a reference to BB when Saul mixes up Badger as the masturbator he was sent to see (season 2, episode 8.  19:41 mark).  My guess is the fast forward took us to then.  Would be interesting if this is the convergence of BCS and BB.

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Wow. Simply, wow.

Such a great episode and really a great way to jump the timeline.  There was a few years to go before BB universe starts and couldn’t for the life of me figure how they would get there in the last few episodes.  I guess “next scene” does it. 

I am incredibly sad Kim is done (for now), but happy she doesn’t die (for now).  I expected her to order a vacuum part and ride off to be honest.  I do think her and Gene Takavic somehow get together.

The scene with Gus and the wine guy surely is a nod to his homosexual side.  Weird placement, but I am sure it is relevant over the next few episodes.

He mentions the “public masturbator”. It has to be a reference to BB when Saul mixes up Badger as the masturbator he was sent to see (season 2, episode 8.  19:41 mark).  My guess is the fast forward took us to then.  Would be interesting if this is the convergence of BCS and BB.

How the hell do people remember random lines like that?

I'm a little late to the conversation here, but that was another great episode, in my opinion.

I'll echo others in saying that I'm glad Kim didn't die. It makes way more sense for the Jimmy McGill character arc. He leans fully into the sleazy Saul Goodman life to escape the pain of being left by the love of his life. Who he is in Breaking Bad would make way less sense if, say, Kim had been gruesomely murdered.

I was momentarily confused and taken aback by the Gus wine scene. The rationale that it was a window into his psyche by way of his repressed sexuality does make sense, though. 

The great thing about Breaking Bad and about Better Call Saul is that nothing -- not one, single thing -- is ever put into the show by accident. Every scene, every detail, every line, every moment has a purpose. The showrunners might be the most purposeful story creators I've ever witnessed. Very impressive.

Glad Rhea Seehorn finally got her overdue Emmy consideration, and I can't wait to see how this thing wraps up over the next few weeks.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

…The great thing about Breaking Bad and about Better Call Saul is that nothing -- not one, single thing -- is ever put into the show by accident. Every scene, every detail, every line, every moment has a purpose. The showrunners might be the most purposeful story creators I've ever witnessed. Very impressive. …

Agree entirely. The scene with Don Eladio when Hector says to look into Fring’s eyes, you see the flames reflected in Gus’s glasses. Just a perfect symbol of Fring’s pure evil. 

• Like (+1) 3

Does anyone have ANY speculation on what lies ahead?

I thought Lalo & Kim's fates were going to be the focus of most of the remaining episodes - but so much got wrapped up right away.  I thought that was the best possible outcome for Kim, who I wasn't really "rooting" for anymore.  She'll have to live w/ what she did, but she's getting away and hopefully to a more positive life overall.  It totally made sense that her leaving is what finally pushed Jimmy over into being 100% Saul, and both actors did an amazing job making that credible.

Naturally, we're going to get a good dose of Gene (I think). But that world is one that still has to be fleshed out.  It's hard to see how they make it as compelling - but they're wizards, so I shouldn't question that too much.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Success said:

I thought Lalo & Kim's fates were going to be the focus of most of the remaining episodes - but so much got wrapped up right away.  I thought that was the best possible outcome for Kim, who I wasn't really "rooting" for anymore.  She'll have to live w/ what she did, but she's getting away and hopefully to a more positive life overall.  It totally made sense that her leaving is what finally pushed Jimmy over into being 100% Saul, and both actors did an amazing job making that credible.

Naturally, we're going to get a good dose of Gene (I think). But that world is one that still has to be fleshed out.  It's hard to see how they make it as compelling - but they're wizards, so I shouldn't question that too much.

I’ve tried to speculate previously and have not been right.  That’s could go anywhere, although they are pigeon holed now that they are in the BB world.

1.  We go down memory lane and follow the BB timeline now.  Starting with Saul’s first introduction into that world and continuing from Sauls POV.  Most likely not involving the BB characters, but for brief cameo’s.  Heavy doses at Gus and Mike.

2.  Another fast forward to him becoming Gene and following that world for a bit. Not sure that is compelling TV.  Maybe he meets up with Kim at the end?  Maybe it’s a precursor to the “Gene Takovic” show?

edit:  Somehow they deal with Gus and his Chilean background and what happened there.  Been mentioned too many times.

Whatever they do will most likely be great.  This last season has been a wild ride!

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I’ve tried to speculate previously and have not been right.  That’s could go anywhere, although they are pigeon holed now that they are in the BB world.

1.  We go down memory lane and follow the BB timeline now.  Starting with Saul’s first introduction into that world and continuing from Sauls POV.  Most likely not involving the BB characters, but for brief cameo’s.  Heavy doses at Gus and Mike.

2.  Another fast forward to him becoming Gene and following that world for a bit. Not sure that is compelling TV.  Maybe he meets up with Kim at the end?  Maybe it’s a precursor to the “Gene Takovic” show?

edit:  Somehow they deal with Gus and his Chilean background and what happened there.  Been mentioned too many times.

Whatever they do will most likely be great.  This last season has been a wild ride!

pretty spot-on.

In order to make the Gene world compelling, there would need to be danger.  As of now, all known danger is dealt with (other than maybe the authorities).  Gene is paranoid and all, but I dont think we could get a full episode - plus of captivating TV from there.

I guess its possible they build up some other threat(s) we dont know about while the BB timeline is going on, but at this point it would feel rushed.  

My guess is we are going to see intertwining with BB, and possibly some sort of Kim/Saul reunion at the end (or we get punched in the gut).  I was expecting to see a Gus prequel episode, but now would be surprised if it were in the last 3-4 episodes of the series (I guess the 2nd last episode of BB was basically Walt living in a cabin in NH though so who knows).  Giancarlo Esposito also hinted he would love to dive into that backstory in the future, maybe hinting that it wasnt really dealt with here.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Success said:

they're wizards, so I shouldn't question that too much.

This is where I'm at. However they finish this it will be great. He's too good with details for this to be a let down. Just enjoy the ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Success said:

I stopped speculating about where Gilligan and his writers might take a story a long time ago. I just know I’ll enjoy the ride wherever it takes me.

• Agree 3

Changing the actor for Jeff kind of hurt the payoff, imo.  With the new actor, I kind of felt bad for the character - the other actor made him more menacing & more of a jerk.

Probably a polarizing episode for fans, but I liked it.  It was a really slow build, but they could use a lot of what they did in film school - the angles, the repetition, even the close-ups of the cinnabun.

And Carol Burnett!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Success said:

Changing the actor for Jeff kind of hurt the payoff, imo.  With the new actor, I kind of felt bad for the character - the other actor made him more menacing & more of a jerk.

Probably a polarizing episode for fans, but I liked it.  It was a really slow build, but they could use a lot of what they did in film school - the angles, the repetition, even the close-ups of the cinnabun.

And Carol Burnett!

I enjoyed it but it being one of the last four seemed misplaced. Would have been better earlier in the season. But, after the last three epics before it, who am I to complain. 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:59 PM, The Poojer said:

Just checked the Google to clear up the Jeff confusion.  Makes more sense now after seeing the episode he was introduced in.  Seemed like awkward placement of the episode but I now get the story arc 

Welp.  Honestly missed the fact he was that cab driver. Kinda thought about it, but thought the new Jeff was too wish-washy to be the old guy.

Episode was weird., seemed misplaced.  I hope they don’t go all Gene moving forward, wanted some BB.  Either way, I’m sure it will be good.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.