Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

Given how bad Ford played, the fact it took 14 games to start Bates, and the fact they traded a future All-pro guard away for virtually nothing, I have no faith they could or can evaluate OL performance.  Spain was an elite pass blocker but was never more than mediocre as a run blocker.  I've not followed him enough to know how he has played with the Bengals other than he remains a starter.  It made no sense to give up on him at that time, but I assumed it was an attitude issue given he was not playing poorly. 

Water under the bridge at this time.  

• Agree 2

A lot of people taking issue with Spain. 

These guys are hyper competitive. Of course he took it personally. Taking it personally is how a lot of these guys get better everyday. Spain has also proved this year that he is one of the best guards in the league. Being benched for somebody clearly less talented toes a fine line between motivating and a bad working environment.

The staff has also made a few mistakes with OL personnel. The Bills have gifted the AFCN with two of the better interior linemen in the league. The sky isn't falling. I don't want McBeane replaced. But it is a very worthy criticism. We have some holes, all teams do, but when you mess up OG twice in 2 years. It is 2 holes we still have to fill with other needs piling up. 

The reason we our line isn't more stable with Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Teller, Brown is firmly on the staff. 

Having to spend on Feliciano, Williams, Bates, draft Moss then Singletary back to back. 3 picks in the first and second round on DE, but also pay Addison and Butler. These things add up. 

Hoping Kromer can help steady some of that. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

There was some mystery surrounding his release when it happened. 

Sounds like he got his feelings hurt and couldn't handle a little competition.

It makes sense because he was a good run blocker but had short arms and was not a good pass blocker.  So obviously with pass blocking being a weakness he was going to have to fight for a spot.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm definitely rooting for the Rams.  I like Stafford and no way do I want to see the Bengals, much less Burrow, win a SB before the Bills and Josh.

Pretty much spot on with my feelings on it. Kinda like being passed up for a promotion by a guy less qualified who just started with your company and you've been there 5 years already.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

It makes sense because he was a good run blocker but had short arms and was not a good pass blocker.  So obviously with pass blocking being a weakness he was going to have to fight for a spot.

He is regarded as one of the better pass blocking OG in the league though...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I'm definitely rooting for the Rams.  I like Stafford and no way do I want to see the Bengals, much less Burrow, win a SB before the Bills and Josh.

Yup, this is where I’m at.  Don’t want any young punk QB winning another one in the AFC before Josh.  I’d like to see the Rams bury them.

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Given how bad Ford played, the fact it took 14 games to start Bates, and the fact they traded a future All-pro guard away for virtually nothing, I have no faith they could or can evaluate OL performance.  Spain was an elite pass blocker but was never more than mediocre as a run blocker.  I've not followed him enough to know how he has played with the Bengals other than he remains a starter.  It made no sense to give up on him at that time, but I assumed it was an attitude issue given he was not playing poorly. 

Bobby Johnson SUCKED and SUCKS.  The Kromer hire is going to be looked back upon as *the* move that made the Bills offense unstoppable.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ain’t that the truth, it makes me wonder.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If the Bengals are known for anything it's having a good Oline and protecting Burrow.

I'm sure they are all cursing that dang line as we speak....in between media interviews asking how awesome is it to be in the SB, representing a team that hasn't been there in a generation..

Anyway, this board spent a good majority of this season complaining about the Bills O-line.  They weren't wrong.

• Agree 1

Memo to Quinten. This is the NFL, the best of the best. Everyday, every down, you compete for your job. Every team is constantly looking to get better. Get over yourself, get to work and earn your job again, in the next weight training session, the next drill or the next play. This is the NFL.

• Eyeroll 1

Because they expected you to be a professional and compete not fake an injury when you did not start and went on road trip to old team.

Yes it was a big mistake to sign you to large contract Quittin'.

• Dislike 1

I am not sure what went on behind the scenes but Spain played an entire season in 2019 without giving up a sack. Got paid. Had 1 bad game at Miami early in 2020 and was benched. 

It was bad decision then, it is a bad decision now, and it will remain a bad decision. He may not have behaved well after the benching to force his release. But he was and would still be the best guard on the Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Memo to Quinten. This is the NFL, the best of the best. Everyday, every down, you compete for your job. Every team is constantly looking to get better. Get over yourself, get to work and earn your job again, in the next weight training session, the next drill or the next play. This is the NFL.

Well why did they give his job to two guys who suck and a year later he is in the Superbowl and they are both riding the pine on the Bills bench? 

He did not lose his job on merit. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Mango said:

A lot of people taking issue with Spain. 

These guys are hyper competitive. Of course he took it personally. Taking it personally is how a lot of these guys get better everyday. Spain has also proved this year that he is one of the best guards in the league. Being benched for somebody clearly less talented toes a fine line between motivating and a bad working environment.

The staff has also made a few mistakes with OL personnel. The Bills have gifted the AFCN with two of the better interior linemen in the league. The sky isn't falling. I don't want McBeane replaced. But it is a very worthy criticism. We have some holes, all teams do, but when you mess up OG twice in 2 years. It is 2 holes we still have to fill with other needs piling up. 

The reason we our line isn't more stable with Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Teller, Brown is firmly on the staff. 

Having to spend on Feliciano, Williams, Bates, draft Moss then Singletary back to back. 3 picks in the first and second round on DE, but also pay Addison and Butler. These things add up. 

Hoping Kromer can help steady some of that. 

Spain has not proved that he is one of the best guards in the league. The Bengals have a poor oline. Spain is average.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Well why did they give his job to two guys who suck and a year later he is in the Superbowl and they are both riding the pine on the Bills bench? 

He did not lose his job on merit. Nobody eill ever convince me otherwise.

The Bengals are not in the Superbowl because of their oline. Their oline isn't good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.