Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

My take:  He got lazy after getting paid, and this team is not going to suffer a Dareus situation.  Even with COVID, I'm sure these guys had to check in with the team on working out, weight, etc., and there was something there that did not sit well.

Some guys only perform when they feel "disrespected" or with something to prove.  Jordan Phillips comes to mind.  

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Spain is a lot like Jordan Phillips...........bite the hand that feeds you..........then treat the team that picks you up off the scrap heap like they are just the best!

Cardinals can save $4.3M on the cap by cutting Phillips this offseason............seems like an obvious cut...........this board will blow up if he becomes available and I don't have a problem bringing him back but the Bills basically gotta' let he and his agent get a "no" from 30 other teams first before taking him on dirt cheap.........or risk being the @ssholes in the same fashion that Spain turned on them the first time they bench or inactivate him. 

Pass on Phillips for me

Not a great fit stylistically for what they like the dline to do 

8 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't have a problem with Spain speaking on this subject because if anything it's another clear example of how this regime has grossly mismanaged their roster and been poor evaluators of talent.

And between the Spain situation and trading Wyatt Teller you really have to wonder what they are looking at in terms of offensive line evaluation. Throw in poor FA signings like Feliciano and other bad draft picks like Cody Ford and it's puzzling to say the least.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:12 PM, eball said:

Yup, this is where I’m at.  Don’t want any young punk QB winning another one in the AFC before Josh.  I’d like to see the Rams bury them.

Bobby Johnson SUCKED and SUCKS.  The Kromer hire is going to be looked back upon as *the* move that made the Bills offense unstoppable.

Kromer is very smart in both coaching up the OL but also run game design in general.

was quite happy with the hire

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2022 at 4:50 PM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I certainly would have preferred Spain at OG over the Mongo/Ford dumpster fire. 

It was worse than that, and why I don't blame Spain at all for his comments.

We brought in Brian Winters and THAT is who he was benched for... Winters was hot garbage, so yeah... his beef is legit in my book. Thankfully (hopefully) that OL room operates with some more consistency now that the headache that was Bobby Johnson is gone and Cromer brings in a wealth of experience at that position group

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Areola Grande said:

We brought in Brian Winters and THAT is who he was benched for... Winters was hot garbage, so yeah... his beef is legit in my book. Thankfully (hopefully) that OL room operates with some more consistency now that the headache that was Bobby Johnson is gone and Cromer brings in a wealth of experience at that position group

Something went on with Spain behind the scenes. He went from a season where he didn't give up a single sack, to a nice extension, to benched after 1 bad game in week 2. No way was that short a leash performance based. There was something else at play. There had to be. I think we are up to 6 different men having started a game at guard for the Bills since we released him. None of them are better. 

On 2/9/2022 at 5:02 PM, Southern_Bills said:

Seems he didn't want to compete. I get what he's saying but if just outplayed the other guy he wouldn't have had issues.

Glad he got somewhere he's comfortable but I'm not sure I'd want a guy that runs from competition, especially on OL.

I kind of figured he was pissed at getting benched back then.

Compete for a job? what a waste of energy ;)

To get back on the field you need to get out of the buffet line and back to the gym ;)

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Pass on Phillips for me

Not a great fit stylistically for what they like the dline to do 

Yeah he's a 3T only..........he was worse than 2021 Vernon Butler at 1T..........and assuming they re-sign Zimmer(which might not be assuming too much) he wouldn't seem like a lock to get a lot of snaps.    

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Something went on with Spain behind the scenes. He went from a season where he didn't give up a single sack, to a nice extension, to benched after 1 bad game in week 2. No way was that short a leash performance based. There was something else at play. There had to be. I think we are up to 6 different men having started a game at guard for the Bills since we released him. None of them are better. 

It seems like when guys fall out with McDermott some kind of practice habit issue is often at the core.

Being a "process" guy he probably sees a player who is careless on the practice field as a threat to keeping the rest of the team focused.

Hard to argue with the results as a whole.........though there are certainly times when they've clearly not used their best personnel.    

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes...100%.  No way one bad performance sees the bench.  Ford, Feliciano and Winters had several bad games before they were sat.  

8 hours ago, Areola Grande said:

Brian Winters … how could I forget that paragon of great OG talent? 😂

On 2/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Ford was one of the guys. I had no issue with them playing Ford as the did invest in him...had to try and get it to work out. It didn't. But that's not the issue.

The other guy they brought in and played over Spain was Brian Winters who was awful. He was awful the years before with the Jets, too. 

Some players know who’s shitttier than them before coaches do. 

Not only did Spain miss on Donald, which is easy to do; the play before, 3rd and 2, he got beat as well. It was his man who made initial contact to stop the Bengals RB and then Donald came in to help clean it up. I was talking to my buddy who is a Bengals fan early in the day before the game and said Spain is the only Bengal player I don’t like after his comments. They made zero sense and then his performance showed why he got let go. 

8 hours ago, mjfbillsfan said:

In his defense, nobody was stopping Donald but that was first thing I texted after that play. He whiffed bad on that one. 

Actually, I don't think it really much mattered who was on the Dline. The Bengals' Oline didn't stop anybody the entire year....

Edited by billsfan1959

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.