Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

6 hours ago, Mark92 said:

Also.... Quinton Spain is awful.  I had no idea he played for Cincinnati until the playoffs started.  When I heard his name I was like " well now it makes sense why that line sucks.".  The Bengals are in the Super Bowl despite him not because of.  

He's pry their second best o-lineman behind Williams right now which is being like the second smartest Baldwin brother.  It's the three players to the right of him that are a disaster.

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'm going to post my prediction in the other thread soon - but I'm starting to come around on the following conclusion.  If you want or think Rams, and I thought I would be I'm rooting for them, now not sure....this is how i see it:

One team beat a QB that played so badly in round 1, I think it had a ripple affect on the whole team.  They really were terrible and the Cardinals limped into the playoffs with no Nuke.  Now Murray is doing the "unfollow team" act.  The Rams then almost choked away a big lead vs a Bucs team down Godwin and a still hurt Fournette, and no AB.  They were not going anywhere.  They then benefitted from Shanahan going full Shanahan with an extra helping of Jimmy G going full Jimmy G (and this was at home).  They easily could have lost to the 49ers. 

The other team beat the #1 and #2 seed in the AFC on the road.  I know - the Chiefs choked to.  But they still won.  You fully trust Matt Stafford to not choke?  

I'm still not 100% but I'm getting the Fan Duel bets ready.  And btw I couldn't care less if the Bengals won before the Bills.  Good.  Maybe they won't be as desperate and spend like crazy or be extra motivated going into 2022 bc they were so close.  

No reason to be insecure fans about our team anymore.  This is a new era.  We have the best QB in the game - at least top 2!  He is one of 3 guys in the league all fans stop and watch.  He's must see TV.  They are already putting us at the top as SB favorites next year.  I won't be salty - Steeler fans tho, oh yea.  They aren't going to know how to procees dealing with that team for the next 10 years in the division.  

I think a lot of people rooting Rams are going to switch mid game like the Russians did in Rocky IV and root for the battered fan base whose team has been drought era Bills bad but for almost 30 years.  I think I'm leaning them.  

All my money is now on the Rams.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's pry their second best o-lineman behind Williams right now which is being like the second smartest Baldwin brother.  It's the three players to the right of him that are a disaster.

You aren't going to be happy.  Did I mention the Bengals beat the Chiefs twice in a month?   

If Stafford plays well - I think that's it and they win.  But I'm not convinced.  

I just watched Tannehill and Mahomes (at least for a half) look God awful vs the Bengals.  It's something about the Bengals D this year.  Their DC will be front of the line HC candidate next year.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the year to really get the OL figured out. It’s time to stop forcing the issue with Ford. Trade him for a late round pick and draft a really good guard or two that Kromer can groom. Maybe someone that could also eventually transition to center at some point. We have quality tackles in place.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

OK, i don't follow them much, but imo your description is accurate (so who is the smartest baldwin?).

one thing i'm thinking, w kromer the beach barbarian as our OL coach, tom foolery which spain describes will not happen again.  the one thing he's had everywhere he's gone is mobile, agile, and hostile interior line play.  the fact we went into the season and lost vs pittz w mongo and ford, and williams at RT, and like the moment we switched in brown (who is super raw and plain old makes errors) and slid over williams we had a very obviously better line, tells me either the coaches didn't get guys as prepped and/or they straight up didn't figure out their best 5.

now, i dunno how much better spain woulda made our team, but him and bates in there to start vs pittz gives us a shot at a red zone score and home field advantage.  you hate to see it!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm definitely rooting for the Rams.  I like Stafford and no way do I want to see the Bengals, much less Burrow, win a SB before the Bills and Josh.

I've seen this a lot on here about not wanting Burrow to win before Allen. What an absolutely asinine, ridiculous, and childlike sentiment.

I'm rooting for the Bengals hard just based on the fact that so many will be butt hurt by it.

35 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I've seen this a lot on here about not wanting Burrow to win before Allen. What an absolutely asinine, ridiculous, and childlike sentiment.

I'm rooting for the Bengals hard just based on the fact that so many will be butt hurt by it.

Cool story, bro.  I've filed it where it belongs.

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Which came first, the benching or the malcontent?  McD has a habit of benching players that get into his doghouse for any number of reasons.  He creates these situations.

What utter crap.

Where are all these other malcontents forcing their way off the team? You're so full of it on this issue it's dampening the chair cushions.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, turftoe said:

This is the year to really get the OL figured out. It’s time to stop forcing the issue with Ford. Trade him for a late round pick and draft a really good guard or two that Kromer can groom. Maybe someone that could also eventually transition to center at some point. We have quality tackles in place.

I know the mocks are picking CBs or WRs in the first... but i think if there's a solid guard/center prospect there it could be the pick.  Bates played pretty well at LG, but i think the line could still use some more young talent.  Morse and Williams are about to be 30 - one with a history of concussions, the other with a history of knee problems.  Both are solid in pass pro, morse is athletic, and williams has position flex.  But neither is cheap, and neither is a tremendous impact player.  

I also know we've struggled with pass pro against certain opponents, and it cost them games - Jax, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Tampa etc.  And adding some beef might help get everything going for the run game throughout the year as well, especially in the red zone.  You wanna play soft zone in the red zone?  Fine - Hammer them.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, turftoe said:

Question about this line of thought.

Cody Ford is cheap labor in 2022.  He's under contract for $2.4M, with $1.47M salary and $0.87M dead cap.

Boettger is a FA who was paid $2M last season.  Feliciano has a $4.9M cap hit, with $0.5M due in March and $1.5M dead cap.

I agree we need to draft and sign top-quality IOL.  But we also need depth.  While it may be time to stop trying to force Ford into the role of a starting OLman, several commented that he played decently in the 3 games where he filled in late in the season (Indy, NO, Carolina).  It's also possible he may be better used by Kromer

Does it really make sense to flip Ford for a late round pick, eat $0.87 in dead cap, and have to pick someone up off the street as depth?  Would we really be able to sign better depth for $1.5M?

For comparison, we signed FA guard Brian Winters to a 1 year contract in 2020 for $3M

13 hours ago, MJS said:

What does this thinking really provide? Spain is an ok player who had a hissy fit for getting benched after he played badly and had a bad attitude. He then forced himself off the team.

The Bills were right to not be ok with any of that. The fact that the Bengals are surprisingly playing in the Super bowl this year is irrelevant to what happened a couple of years ago.

Was Spain better off with his handful of wins last year in Cincinnati watching the Bills in the AFC Championship game? Neither of those scenarios are relevant.

I guess that didn't work out for him last year.

It provides a counter to busting on a guy on a suspect O-line, yet a player and a line that has helped get its team into the SB, as opposed to a suspect O-line watching another SB.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bengals OL is trash.  I mean they have been sacking Burrow all postseason like his entire OL was made up of clones of Bobby Hart.

So I don’t think that he, or anyone on that OL, gets a “reliable” designation right now.  

Bengals O-line:  51 sacks  49 hits  46 hurries

Bills O-line: 26 sacks 63 hits 96 hurries

Overall far more pressure on Josh behind it's O-line.

Josh being a mobile and quick athlete saves the O-line from proper trash labeling.

• Like (+1) 5

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup. Got paid, then wasn’t any good, bitched about having to earn his spot back and finally iirc faked an injury which basically forced Beane to cut him. 

That is how I remember it.  He came in on a one year prove type deal after TN did not resign him and he apparently was not getting the FA love he felt he deserved.  He was good for the Bills that year so they resigned him to a decent contract.  He proceeded to underwhelm and ultimately be a problem.  

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It provides a counter to busting on a guy on a suspect O-line, yet a player and a line that has helped get its team into the SB, as opposed to a suspect O-line watching another SB.

Bengals O-line:  51 sacks  49 hits  46 hurries

Bills O-line: 26 sacks 63 hits 96 hurries

Overall far more pressure on Josh behind it's O-line.

Josh being a mobile and quick athlete saves the O-line from proper trash labeling.

The Bills OL was definitely quite terrible until late in the season.

I will say though that some of that wasn't for lack of talent on hand like it is for the Bengals.

Dawkins struggled after two bouts with covid.........Brown was a very raw rookie.........Williams seemed out of shape after getting paid...........the outside zone attack didn't suit any of the interior OL and LG was a total black hole until Bates was inserted..............so when all of those factors were resolved to different degrees they notably improved.

Still should address the OL once or twice in the first 3 rounds in this draft..........give Bates a second round tender and sign a good UFA if Morse retires.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I will say though that some of that wasn't for lack of talent on hand like it is for the Bengals.

Dawkins struggled after two bouts with covid.........Brown was a very raw rookie.........Williams seemed out of shape after getting paid...........the outside zone attack didn't suit any of the interior OL and LG was a total black hole until Bates was inserted..............so when all of those factors were resolved to different degrees they notably improved.

Still should address the OL once or twice in the first 3 rounds in this draft..........give Bates a second round tender and sign a good UFA if Morse retires.

I still want Norwell in FA. Even if we can only afford one decent FA... that would be where my money would go. Tackle, receiver, corner are the money spots I am going to try and draft. I might be able to get Norwell on a deal where his cap hit this year is $4-5m or so. He isn't getting close to the $13m AAV he got from the Jags.... something like 3 years, $24m, $8m AAV, $13m guaranteed; with an obvious out after year 2 that would essentially make it a 2 year $18m deal, and leave you with a couple of mill dead cap in the 3rd year. 

Pro-rated signing bonus: $6m

Year 1:

Salary: $2.5m (fully guaranteed)

Amortised signing bonus: $2m

Cap Hit: $4.5m

Year 2:

Salary: $4m (fully guaranteed)

Roster Bonus: $1.5m

Cap Hit: $7.5m

- - OUT AFTER 2023: Dead Cap $2m - - 

Year 3:

Salary: $8m

Roster Bonus: $2m

Cap Hit: $12m

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Josh faced more pressure than Burrow.  The talent level on the Bills line (Feliciano, Dawkins, Williams....) is what it is.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I still want Norwell in FA. Even if we can only afford one decent FA... that would be where my money would go. Tackle, receiver, corner are the money spots I am going to try and draft. I might be able to get Norwell on a deal where his cap hit this year is $4-5m or so. He isn't getting close to the $13m AAV he got from the Jags.... something like 3 years, $24m, $8m AAV, $13m guaranteed; with an obvious out after year 2 that would essentially make it a 2 year $18m deal, and leave you with a couple of mill dead cap in the 3rd year. 

Pro-rated signing bonus: $6m

Year 1:

Salary: $2.5m (fully guaranteed)

Cap Hit: $4.5m

Year 2:

Salary: $4m (fully guaranteed)

Roster Bonus: $1.5m

Cap Hit: $7.5m

- - OUT AFTER 2023: Dead Cap $2m - - 

Year 3:

Salary: $8m

Roster Bonus: $2m

Cap Hit: $12m

It's easy to look at how the offense produced at the end and think that the OL is looking good now..........but I agree this would be the smartest use of the money.

The OL struggles totally undermined the team in that 8 game stretch where they went 3-5.

Even if Morse doesn't retire they have little reliable depth inside...........I don't trust Williams to be any more prepared to start this season...........there is no guarantee that Bates will be able to maintain his level of play as a starter.    Job #1 is protect Josh Allen.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.