Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

Seems he didn't want to compete. I get what he's saying but if just outplayed the other guy he wouldn't have had issues.

Glad he got somewhere he's comfortable but I'm not sure I'd want a guy that runs from competition, especially on OL.

He started the first two games, so I guess he didn't like that the Bills were willing to move people around while trying to find the best line.

5 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

He comes across as a bit of a whiner, but it was an odd situation. He wasn’t all world by any means, but he seemed to be an adequate starter. 

Agreed that he sounds like a whiner, but when you're a solid starter that gets benched for (undisclosed) reasons perhaps it's justified to whine about it. 

I'm curious what McBeane would say about the situation. Did they bench him because of his play? Attitude? Was he out of shape ? 

Definitely weird to give him a contract and then bench him. Strange thing to do at the time and I think it only looks worse in hindsight with the Bills O-line struggles and Spain being a reliable starter for Cincy. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can understand what he's getting at. It was a bit strange to bench a starter who was just resigned in a year without a preseason to judge the competition. However, maybe he showed up out of shape or underperformed in practice. "Didn't see eye-to-eye" is pretty vague and could mean a number of things.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Who is Spain referring to "bringing in a guy"?  Ford?

Ford was one of the guys. I had no issue with them playing Ford as the did invest in him...had to try and get it to work out. It didn't. But that's not the issue.

The other guy they brought in and played over Spain was Brian Winters who was awful. He was awful the years before with the Jets, too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

Good. If you are sucking it up, you deserve to get benched or to have talent brought in to compete with you, no matter how much you get paid.

Glad we moved on from him.

Hell the Bills/everyone should always be looking to improve the O-line every year.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Who is Spain referring to "bringing in a guy"?  Ford?

I was angrier than hell that they tried forcing the Cody Ford business. He sucks, he’s beyond terrible and he’s slightly below average on a good day. I have no idea what Beane saw in him when he drafted him. Spain saw that Ford was their golden boy and he had to make a business decision in the end. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Agreed that he sounds like a whiner, but when you're a solid starter that gets benched for (undisclosed) reasons perhaps it's justified to whine about it. 

I'm curious what McBeane would say about the situation. Did they bench him because of his play? Attitude? Was he out of shape ? 

Definitely weird to give him a contract and then bench him. Strange thing to do at the time and I think it only looks worse in hindsight with the Bills O-line struggles and Spain being a reliable starter for Cincy. 

I certainly would have preferred Spain at OG over the Mongo/Ford dumpster fire. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.