1984 Cowboys at Bills

Greg S

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

This was a great day in a horrible season.

I was in the Air Force, stationed in Sondrestrom, Greenland when this game happened. Everyone on base (all 110 of us) knew I was a die hard Bills fan. When we got news of the Bills upsetting the Cowboys, the entire base partied, with Jägermeister, all night. It is a little known fact that on a cold winter’s night in 1984, Sondrestrom Air Base was not prepared to defend our country.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have no recollection of this game whatsoever!

I would not have been at it, but if it was blacked out I would definitely have been listening to the radio broadcast with my dad, sitting in the living room, hanging on Van's every word.

Still don't remember it, which is weird.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I have no recollection of this game whatsoever!

I would not have been at it, but if it was blacked out I would definitely have been listening to the radio broadcast with my dad, sitting in the living room, hanging on Van's every word.

Still don't remember it, which is weird.

Maybe you weren't born yet

A guy I know from Depew/Lancaster who would have been about 17 at the time, was a huge Cowboys fan and expecting a big win for Dallas, attended the game wearing a Tony Dorsett jersey and a cowboy hat (he's long since converted to being a Bills fan). In addition he was buzzed on some form of hallucinogenic drug that was popularized in the late 1960s. Because he was "peaking" he was running a bit late to his seat and had no sooner entered the stadium bowl when Greg Bell broke the 85 yard run. Needless to say the game was a huge bummer for him.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I was at that game in the upper deck, about 10 rows from the top.  My family kind of made fun of me for going.  That is too strong.  It was more like - why?

It turned out to be a good time...although I don't remember it being so crowded.

We hated Dallas back then....I mean, I don't like them now, but it is nothing like I felt toward them in the 80s-90s.  Perhaps my Patriots feelings have taken the edge off.

My first game. Ten years old. Had to jump up on metal bench seat to see Bell going down the field. Then froze for three hours. Ha

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills won, but boy were they a bad team that year.  I can see why Dallas was embarrassed at losing.  I think Ferguson was playing hurt, and he was very ineffective.  The Bills didn't have any WRs that could play.  (Was this the first year after Jerry Butler's injury?  That was such a shame, for such a good player to have his career ended.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.