2021 Bills ST coach Heath Farwell joins the Jags

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Process said:

I'd the reports about the kickoff were true the Bills didn't have a choice but to let him go. No way you can keep him after that all time bad blunder.l, no matter how good of a coach he is. 

If the D made a stop in any of their last 3X on the field it wouldn't of mattered. By that reasoning Frazier should've been fired after the game unless of course it was McD calling the shots.

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

If the D made a stop in any of their last 3X on the field it wouldn't of mattered. By that reasoning Frazier should've been fired after the game unless of course it was McD calling the shots.

Both things are true.  The loss has more than one cause. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I think you have to look at it this way, yes Frasier made 2 bad calls but it ends up both on the players and the coach.

If Farwell was told to kick it short and somehow failed to make sure that all 11 players got the message then that’s almost entirely on him. He has arguably the smallest number of players to keep informed on every ST play and yet he somehow failed to give his kicker the play

I agree...but at some point if I'm Bass and don't know what was called...may be good to ask. Ask the coach before running out there. Ask a teammate before lining up and kicking it. Heck, he likely could have asked fans in the stands and gotten an answer.

As much as we pin it in coaching...Bass has to shoulder some blame. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to give the team credit for not making a public thing out of this separation. He gets to start new with dignity intact. 

When everyone Immediately went silent the next day I figured no one is going to be "outed". On a kickoff that critical,  Sean should've done what Belichick would do. Gather your entire ST including Bass at the sidelines and tell them yourself exactly what you wanted. Not rely on someone screwing up a communication to Farwell. And yes McD should've told Frazier exactly what coverage he wanted.  

• Agree 1

McDermott might have trusted his coordinators a little too much there. 

You are the HC. Nobody even knows who the Special Teams coordinator is. I'll bet 50% of Bills fans couldn't have named the ST coordinator at the time of the 13 seconds kickoff. 

All anyone knows is that "McDermott blew it." Some blame Frazier too, but who was Andy Reid's OC/DC/ST for all of his big game blunders? All anyone remembers is Andy Reid lost. And yes I know I made a big thread about Reid recently. Dude had it all set up for him and blew it. I thought he was past that. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Congrats Matt.  Please use the "Doctor's Creed" in your ST coaching.

"First do no harm".  I mean this not only from the squib kick controversy.

I have always believed in solid, safe, ST play trumps trying to have big plays on STs.

There is way too much turnover of players on ST so teach them to be smart first.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Congrats Matt.  Please use the "Doctor's Creed" in your ST coaching.

"First do no harm".  I mean this not only from the squib kick controversy.

I have always believed in solid, safe, ST play trumps trying to have big plays on STs.

There is way too much turnover of players on ST so teach them to be smart first.

Agreed!

surest way to lose a close game is to muff a punt and give the other team free points. 

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Blocking in the back (and losing 10 yards) when the PR is calling a fair catch drives me nuts too.

that drives me nuts too. There's basically a flag on every punt return these days. It totally ruins the play. 

90% of the time if there is a runback of nay significance it's cancelled out by a penalty and now you're at your own 10 yard line instead. Kills 1/3 of the game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Somehow an even less inspired hire.  McD underappreciates the role STs play in outcomes.

You really feel this way? If anything I think he favors special teams too much with some of his roster decisions (both 53 and game day). If you mean from a coaching perspective, hard to disagree. Some of the ST coaches haven’t been of the highest pedigree. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree...but at some point if I'm Bass and don't know what was called...may be good to ask. Ask the coach before running out there. Ask a teammate before lining up and kicking it. Heck, he likely could have asked fans in the stands and gotten an answer.

As much as we pin it in coaching...Bass has to shoulder some blame. 

Unless Bass has the IQ of a fencepost, it either should have been drilled into Bass to ask if he isnt aware of what is going on and if here were faulty communication, either one both on Heath.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean he's been an assistant for years. What were your choices?

At some point you need fresh perspectives and it's almost like McDermott lives in his own little bubble and looking for mindless lackeys to do as their told.

There's a whole other world in the NFL landscape besides Orchard Park and the Carolina Panthers organization in terms of finding player and coaching talent.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.