Could Bills Trade Up To #1 For Pass Rusher? Picks and Rousseau For #1?

jwhit34

Draft Day Trade Up To #1 Overall Pick To Draft Aidan Hutchinson  

223 members have voted

1. 1. If the following trade was proposed: The Bills 1st and 2nd picks in '22 draft and Greg Rousseau, would you:

• Agree to the trade if you were the Bills
    • Decline the trade if you were the Bills
    • Agree to the trade if you're the Jags
    • Decline the trade if you're the Jags

The #1 overall pick will not be a QB for only the 4th time since 2010 (Myles Garrett-'17, Jadaveon Clowney-'14 and Eric Fisher-'13). Aidan Hutchinson seems to be at the top of many draft boards.

A big need for the Bills is still a 10+ sack/year pass rusher. Would a package consisting of the Bills' 1st and 2nd round draft picks in '22 plus Greg Rousseau land them the #1 pick? Would you do it if you were the Bills? What if you were the Jaguars? 

My thought here is that the Bills have 3 young DEs that could all be decent players but maybe not elite. Rousseau probably has the most potential. Hutchinson seems more of a sure thing. If you're the Jags, you get a player and 2 good picks. Plug in Hutchinson, maybe Epenesa and/or Basham work out, bring in a vet DE to be a rotational guy. 

If you're the Jags and this isn't enough, what more do you think they would ask for? If you're the Bills, what more would you be willing to give up? Maybe the Bills have to throw in a 2 or 3 in '23.

Edited by jwhit34
  • Vomit 6
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 5
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Dislike 5

2 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

The #1 overall pick will not be a QB for only the 4th time since 2010 (Myles Garrett-'17, Jadaveon Clowney-'14 and Eric Fisher-'13). Aidan Hutchinson seems to be at the top of many draft boards.

A big need for the Bills is still a 10+ sack/year pass rusher. Would a package consisting of the Bills' 1st and 2nd round draft picks in '22 plus Greg Rousseau land them the #1 pick? Would you do it if you were the Bills? What if you were the Jaguars? 

Why would you even contemplate trading Rousseau, who had a stellar rookie year? Plus, if we are going to trade anyway, I would rather get a proven EDGE than another rookie, no matter how highly rated he is. We should be in win now mode. 

I understand its a hypothetical but at least the suggestion needs to have some grounding in reality. 

Answer is "hell no"

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Holy crap you GREATLY underestimate how much it would cost to move up 20+ spots in the first round to #1 overall.  Need to throw in a couple more 1st and 2nd rounders at least, especially considering our low draft slots.  Our 2nd rounder + Rousseau probably wouldn't get us to the top 10, and it only gets exponentially more expensive from there.

Edited by 1ManRaid
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 4

No way.  I get why you’re proposing it, but this type of trade doesn’t make sense when we look at the reality of our situation.

1 - Salary Cap.  Next year, Josh’s contract kicks in and we are going to have to keep injecting young talent into this team.  Giving up 3 young players (Greg, 1st and 2nd) for one doesn’t make a lot of sense for us.  Especially since Rousseau showed a lot of upside at the same position you are suggesting we trade for.  

2 - Rousseau.  Why him?  Not only did he show a lot of promise as a rookie, he did it after sitting out his last year of college.  He also is a very unique build that can cause a lot of havoc in ways other players can’t.  There is no guarantee this other rookie will be any more promising than what we saw from him.

3 - Win now.  While some rookies can make an immediate impact, others can take a year or two to hit their stride (Like Mario Williams for example).  And Rousseau already knows our defense and has a year under his belt.  

4 - Other holes.  We really need immediate help at other locations.  CB is super thin with Tre coming off injury and Levi a FA.  We have questions on our interior DL like Phillips who is a FA and also need to upgrade our interior OL.  And if McKenzie isn’t back, they probably will look for some speed at WR too.  

5 - We were 5th in the NFL in QB pressure and 10th in sacks.  We aren’t nearly as bad as people think at this.  We run a heavy rotation, so sacks are spread throughout the D, but we get pressure and sacks.  

So no way I do this trade.  We have 3 picks over last two years in first 2 rounds in our DE position.  It’s time to turn them loose and see what they can do while we upgrade other bigger holes.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

I'm a huge Michigan fan and love Hutchinson.  I believe he will be a great pro.  That said, he's unproven at the NFL level and you never know for certain how a college player will perform at the next level.  Over time, Rousseau may end up being the better player.  I would not make this trade.  Further, as mentioned above, it might actually cost more than this to move up to #1.  I'd only make this kind of major trade to move up the board for a franchise QB, and even then, there's no guarantee of the drafted player's NFL success.

• Like (+1) 1

In terms of trade value, our 2nd rounder gets us from #25 to #15.  Rousseau would have to be worth the #3 pick to get us up to #1.

Just in terms of our 1st round picks, our next 4 1st rounders (assuming current draft spot) wouldn't get us up to #1, especially considering future picks are worth less.

• Like (+1) 3

This team has been fairly good at drafting, I would rather just "let the draft come to you" so to speak. Stay at 25/57 and see what prospects are there and just pick the best. No need to move up or down the board until the mid-rounds when the team has extra picks in the back end of the draft they could use to move up. Hell I think moving down a few spots at 25 might work best if a trade down is there. Just simply no need to move up at such a high cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.