How bad is it for Lesile Frazier?

Come on people we are talking about Lovie Smith now not Joe Gibbs.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I was just listing the possible reasons he would have been passed over. 

Frazier problem is his own doing, he never changes the playbook that he ran in Minnesota and he has to realize Pat and Kevin Williams aren’t here.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBobs said:

That's right - we shouldn't accept anything less than being the number one defense in the league. Until we find a coordinator that can get us that top ranking we shouldn't settle.

Wait...

Yeah that number 1 defense sure did an amazing job holding KC to 80 points. Spare me.......we beat up on a bunch of rookie or crappy qbs.  We're not battle tested because we don't play in a division like the AFCW.  What's the point of having  a "so-called" #1 D if you can't bring it with you into the playoffs?

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah that number 1 defense sure did an amazing job holding KC to 80 points. Spare me.......we beat up on a bunch of rookie or crappy qbs.  We're not battle tested because we don't play in a division like the AFCW.  What's the point of having  a "so-called" #1 D if you can't bring it with you into the playoffs?

I guess you missed the first game of the playoffs where we absolutely dominated the Patriots and also didn't watch the first Chiefs game where we were all over their offense. AGAIN this is with Mario Addison leading the team in sacks and no Tre'Davious White the back half of the season. The fact that we were inarguably statistically the best defense in football this season is a testament to the coaches squeezing everything they could out of the players they have.

I get it the loss was heartbreaking but let's not forget that only a few years ago you were arguing that Tyrod Taylor was the game manager that could lead this team deep into the playoffs and gushing over Nathan Peterman and how would eventually lead the team to the playoffs. This staff has brought us a long way in a real short amount of time and for the first time since my childhood watching this team, have earned our trust.

7 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

When Lovie Smith, gets a head coaching job over Frazier.  Is Lovie really better than Frazier?  Lovie’s defense was horrible last year except when he played the Jets and Lovie’s tenure in Illinois was something you would not write the books about.

I know the Kanas City game  was a disaster and it would be hard to sell a fan base on that game but even I think Frazier is better then Lovie Smith. 

Lovie's playoff record is better.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I guess you missed the first game of the playoffs where we absolutely dominated the Patriots and also didn't watch the first Chiefs game where we were all over their offense. AGAIN this is with Mario Addison leading the team in sacks and no Tre'Davious White the back half of the season. The fact that we were inarguably statistically the best defense in football this season is a testament to the coaches squeezing everything they could out of the players they have.

I get it the loss was heartbreaking but let's not forget that only a few years ago you were arguing that Tyrod Taylor was the game manager that could lead this team deep into the playoffs and gushing over Nathan Peterman and how would eventually lead the team to the playoffs. This staff has brought us a long way in a real short amount of time and for the first time since my childhood watching this team, have earned our trust.

Let’s be honest. The offense put so much pressure on the Patriots offense and forced them out of their game. In reality, that game was the epitome of “the best defense is a good offense.”

any team that was worth their salt last year, our defense couldn’t stop. We were bending and breaking 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

To be fair, Smith did get the Bears to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman behind center. Additionally, I don’t think you can judge HC candidates based solely on standings and statistics. Ability to manage, delegate and be a leader of men certainly play a role. Maybe Frazier is just a poor interviewee?

He’s already been a HC.  Doubtful he’s a poor interviewer.  Smith is already in-house.   Hard organization to sell at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBobs said:

That's right - we shouldn't accept anything less than being the number one defense in the league. Until we find a coordinator that can get us that top ranking we shouldn't settle.

Wait...

If you really believe this was the number one defense in the league last year you weren't paying attention.

The stats couldn't be more misleading given the sheer amount of garbage we played at the QB position on opposing team, quite possibly the easiest slate you'll ever see in terms of rookies/backups/journeymen, etc.

The point is that when you look at what Frazier has done against above average/elite NFL starters during his time in Buffalo he's failed miserably including just about every playoff game minus the Ravens last year and there's an asterisk in that one since Jackson got hurt and didn't finish the game.

• Agree 1

I was re-watching old Super Bowls on YouTube recently (NFL uploaded a bunch to their channel in very good quality) 

Anyway, I was watching Steelers/Cardinals SB (amazing game). 

Near the end of the game when it looked like the vaunted Steelers defense just lost the game by giving up a huge TD pass (that was mostly RAC) to Larry Fitzgerald, Madden said this (it might not be 100% word for word, but here's the gist): 

So many things in football are about when you do them. You can have all the stats you want but did you do it when you had to do it? 

When I heard that my first thought was our #1 defense that no-showed at the end of the game. 

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

Never said Tyrod was a game manager and never gushed over Peterman? Adorable how you just make stuff up. And how excited you are over Addison's legendary 7 sacks. Dude you sure set the bar real low.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

You think we can take the next step with his vanilla, soft D?   Not likely. Is your goal to win the Super Bowl  or just be competitive?

As far as I'm concerned McDermott is sealing his own fate by not making a change this offseason.

But at the same time maybe it's not Frazier which again is a direct indictment on McDermott if he's truly pulling the strings on the defensive side and the main force behind the predicable bend but don't break crap.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Never said Tyrod was a game manager and never gushed over Peterman? Adorable how you just make stuff up. And how excited you are over Addison's legendary 7 sacks. Dude you sure set the bar real low.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

And yes, it would be great to give our coaches something more to work with than 7 sacks from Mario Addison and Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson trying to chase Tyreek Hill all over the field but I've got to credit them with making the most out of what they have and propelling the defense to number one.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 5.11.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 5.12.01 PM.png

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He definitely didn't make any adjustments at 13 seconds. No one is hiring him after that debacle. We're stuck with him and this confusing relationship between him & McD.

Get over it.  That game is over.  All this constant whining and crying is for the birds.  

Frazier and McD believe in similar defensive principles.  If Frazier wasn’t there the next coach would believe in similar defensive principles as McD.   It is what is.  The defense has been  good for the most part over the past few seasons.  Sometimes they play poorly - just like every other team in the league.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

When Lovie Smith, gets a head coaching job over Frazier.  Is Lovie really better than Frazier?  Lovie’s defense was horrible last year except when he played the Jets and Lovie’s tenure in Illinois was something you would not write the books about.

I know the Kanas City game  was a disaster and it would be hard to sell a fan base on that game but even I think Frazier is better then Lovie Smith. 

It's the Texans. They're looking for someone they can let go in a couple of years for their real candidate.

Or to put it another way, "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.