Beach chairs are back! (Kromer hired as OL Coach)

MWK

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

I would certainly hope no one is bringing Greg Roman’s playbook here.  Our QB is Josh Allen not Tyrod Taylor. (Or Lamar Jackson). We need to improve the effectiveness of our running game, but this should be a passing team with the elite QB talent we have.  

Kromer is is an excellent OL coach.  He can help improve the effectiveness of our running game by providing competent coaching to the OL and input to the OC.  I am pretty sure he knows how to teach pass blocking too.  

I think you missed the point of my post.

I am not disputing that Kromer is a good offensive line coach. I am also not hoping that the Bills suddenly employ the Roman playbook or become a run heavy team.

I am simply saying that a huge part of the reason WHY the Bills were so good at running the ball when Kromer was last here was the presence of Greg Roman and his run scheme. To read through some of the responses in this thread, you'd think that Kromer's return guarantees a return to the running success we had in 2015-16. My point was that the playbook and the offensive coordinator played a very big role in that, and we shouldn't assume that just because the OL coach is returning, so will the success that we enjoyed running the ball at that time.

It would be like attributing the Bills 2020-2021 passing success to Chad Hall. Did he play a part? I'm sure he did. Daboll surely deserves more of the credit, though.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I am not disputing that Kromer is a good offensive line coach. I am also not hoping that the Bills suddenly employ the Roman playbook or become a run heavy team.

I am simply saying that a huge part of the reason WHY the Bills were so good at running the ball when Kromer was last here was the presence of Greg Roman and his run scheme. To read through some of the responses in this thread, you'd think that Kromer's return guarantees a return to the running success we had in 2015-16. My point was that the playbook and the offensive coordinator played a very big role in that, and we shouldn't assume that just because the OL coach is returning, so will the success that we enjoyed running the ball at that time.

It would be like attributing the Bills 2020-2021 passing success to Chad Hall. Did he play a part? I'm sure he did. Daboll surely deserves more of the credit, though.

and to add on to that, why would anyone even want Roman’s philosophy to return, even if it guaranteed similar returns? We have Allen now. Going back to that would be like attaching a tire boot to his arm. No thanks. Kromer can coach up the OL. That’s all we need.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Does he prefer one type of blocking scheme over another? Or does he tailor it to fit the personnel/OC’s plays?

I think its a little bit of everything. He seems pretty cerebral in the way he thinks about his players and what they can do. In LA its a ton of wide zone, when he was here it was a lot of gap/power stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

and to add on to that, why would anyone even want Roman’s philosophy to return, even if it guaranteed similar returns? We have Allen now. Going back to that would be like attaching a tire boot to his arm. No thanks. Kromer can coach up the OL. That’s all we need.

This x 1000 percent.

It's great we will probably run the ball better but we do NOT need a shift in offensive philosophy. I hope and believe we will remain a dominant pass oriented team

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

The offense will be a pass 1st as long as Allen is running the show obviously. I think they will run the ball a little more than Daboll did and continue to have success where they left off last few games which will also open things up even more for Allen.

• Agree 1

I would not worry too much about scheme. This guy is an excellent teacher and has made middle of the road guys into very good players. Ofcourse there have been duds-John Miller, but even so, Miller was serviceable when Kromer was here. He has some super athletic guys to work with here in Buffalo. Great fit imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Love love love this hire. 

And I hope it means Austin Corbett, future Buffalo Bills guard. 

Corbett, Brian Allen if we decided to move on from Morse, and Joe Noteboom all are free agents and are all very interesting. Maybe we can land one of them

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would not worry too much about scheme. This guy is an excellent teacher and has made middle of the road guys into very good players. Ofcourse there have been duds-John Miller, but even so, Miller was serviceable when Kromer was here. He has some super athletic guys to work with here in Buffalo. Great fit imo. 

will be interesting to see if he can get Ford to turn into anything.  

Excited to see him work with Spenser Brown! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

will be interesting to see if he can get Ford to turn into anything.  

Excited to see him work with Spenser Brown! 

I’ve almost lost hope for Cody, but he was different after the knee injury. I’d like to see him drop like 10-15 pounds, nothing crazy, just get some flexibilty in his game. He is extremely stiff. but I do think there is a chance Kromer could make him serviceable. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sorry if I left the wrong impression.  I was not criticizing your post, but trying to amplify it.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.