Beach chairs are back! (Kromer hired as OL Coach)

MWK

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Jax game was abysmal.  He was better after that, but the stench of the loss to the Jagoffs stuck on him all year.

I'm not doubting your eyes, but just to point out that "better" than he was in the loss to the Jags is a pretty low bar

The 3 games remaining games where he started were Indy, New Orleans, and Carolina.

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not doubting your eyes, but just to point out that "better" than he was in the loss to the Jags is a pretty low bar

The 3 games remaining games where he started were Indy, New Orleans, and Carolina.

I'd have to go back and look, but he only gave up a couple pressures in those games after Jax, maybe one sack.  

17 hours ago, Maynard said:

I’m concerned about those moobs. Like real concerned. Like Fight Club Meatball’s moobs. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's Ford's pass blocking (or lack thereof) that concerns me most.

With the arrival of Kromer, maybe Cody can finally replace the nameplate in his locker...

image.png.da82335a2ddce528899b5ea261a1b070.png

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I like the hire, not much Else to say about it.

I’m wondering if he’ll also act as our run game coordinator as well? Obviously Dorsey has tons of experience with QBs and the passing game, but I’m wondering if Kromer will help him come up with some run plays as well? He’s a nice guy for Dorsey to lean on though, that’s for sure.

Edited by Victory Formation

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

Lest we forget....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/17/aaron-rodgers-aaron-kromer-jay-cutler

Having pasted this, I still think he is a fine OL coach...

He probably ain't HC or OC material anymore.... Maybe OC? IDK? Two pretty freaky stories about him make me question his maturity and dignity but everyone makes mistakes.

So, 7 years ago, he may have said something and that made Rodgers mad.  We'd better watch out for this guy! :D :beer: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

There's no beaches in Buffalo, so there's that.  Dude beat up a kid, but he's a good coach, so nothing to see here, move along....

Oh, that's not true. Kromer will surely get chair throwing opportunities at:

Beaver Island Beach, Sunset Beach, Woodlawn Beach, Gallagher Beach, Wendt Beach, Bennett Beach - to name a few!

• Like (+1) 1

Just from a Xs and Os standpoint, I'm expecting:

1. WRs who are willing blockers. While the Bills ran a more power scheme when Kromer was here (although they ran much more zone when Anthony Lynn took over in 2016) and the Rams were a predominate zone scheme, a common tenet of both run game were having willing blockers at WR and even featuring them as lead blockers at times. Robert Woods was great at this both with the Bills and with the Rams. Kupp also is a great blocker. Gabe Davis already is a decent blocker in the run game. Diggs - whatever, with WR1 you can kind of scheme around asking him to block. I'm not sure WR3 is on the roster right now TBH. 

2. Even less utilization of a FB. More utilization of 2TE sets. Definitely think we'll be in the FA market for a 2nd TE and might move on from Gilliam. I think they'll want someone who is more of a TE who can fill in on 2RB sets than someone like Gilliam who does both but isn't really good at either. UFA TE OJ Howard is intriguing to me. He'll likely be cheap and he played the H-back role often at Alabama. Panthers TE Ian Thomas is another guy who is a great blocker with athleticism that would be a great, cheap TE2.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am still in awe. and expecting a retract of this. kept checking back in at work etc.
 Color me "enthusiastic" about this re hire of Kromer

I loved the way his O line played in Buffalo years ago.

almost surreal.
another reason that

I remain such Bills fan. They surprise me even still with cool moves by McBeanes.
 Lets keep that run game going. and brutalize some LBs and defensive backs on the way

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry if duplicated 

During Kromer's previous stint, in which he ran the offensive line in 2015 and 2016, the Bills led the NFL in rushing both seasons.

In his four seasons as the New Orleans Saints' offensive line coach from 2009-12, they allowed the fewest sacks in the league in that span and won the Super Bowl in the 2009 season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/what-aaron-kromer-brings-to-the-bills-is-exactly-what-they-need

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The off-season for Mongo, Bates, Ford, and Ike just got more interesting. If anyone can get these guys to live up to their potential, it’s the Krome Dome

Bates played well to end the season at LG. Not sure if Mongo is cut due to cap constraints (although I would love to see him take a pay cut and come back as a really high end backup at G/C), Ford is likely a bench player which isn't tragic depth and Ike likely will get a one year guaranteed deal but I don't see him making the roster and just getting IR'd as they allow him to recover from his injury "Red-shirting" the year. 

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

It’s probably worth noting that in 15-16 we had Greg Roman as our OC whose specialty is scheming the run game. We also had LeSean McCoy at the tail end of his prime. 

Kromer is a good coach and likely a positive hire for this team but some more context is probably worth mentioning. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The off-season for Mongo, Bates, Ford, and Ike just got more interesting. If anyone can get these guys to live up to their potential, it’s the Krome Dome

Interesting for Mongo because he's going to have to look at real estate closer to East Rutherford. 

Ford is meh and Ike is an injured free agent. 

I am excited to see Kromer work with Bates (who is a RFA) and Spencer Brown. 

• Agree 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, JoeF said:

Spencer Brown, Tommy Doyle, Ryan Bates are all full of potential waiting to be coached out of them.  I will declare Kromer a miracle worker if Cody Ford is still around and he can get something serviceable out of him.  I would expect another first three round pick on an interior OL.  Coach Kromer will have a lot of clay to mold.

I so agree with you.  Cody Ford had potential but it seemed if anything he regressed.  Don't know if it's all physical traits that are bad with

him or if it's "in between his ears" but he'll get one more shot with a proven coach.  If he can't improve during the summer with Kromer as

OL coach he may not be on the roster in the fall.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Turf Toejam 34 said:

More importantly than the run game---how was the pass protection during Kromer's tenure...

Tyrod was QB so who knows.  LOL.  If I remember correctly, it seemed good for the first 3 or 4 seconds and then not so good for the next 6.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.