Beach chairs are back! (Kromer hired as OL Coach)

MWK

On 2/8/2022 at 9:16 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Honestly I'm thrilled. While I think Dorsey was the best man for the job, I was worried about how to install the run game. We clearly saw that adding just a touch more of it made the offense go.

Sean McVeigh has been called many things, but vanilla on offense has never been one. If Kromer was heading up their O-line and run game I have confidence that when we run, we will run effectively.

Add in some talent like Texas A&M OL Kenyon Green and Motor might be Pro-bowl bound 

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It’s probably worth noting that in 15-16 we had Greg Roman as our OC whose specialty is scheming the run game. We also had LeSean McCoy at the tail end of his prime. 

Kromer is a good coach and likely a positive hire for this team but some more context is probably worth mentioning. 

True on Roman.   He's great at run game design.    But it certainly wasn't about having a certain RB in his prime.   The backup RB's actually produced quite a bit more with the ball in their hands..........one lead the league in ypc and 3rd down conversions and they combined for 18 TD's versus McCoy's 16.      They were simply a machine running the football........as have been the Ravens since Roman took over as OC.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:46 AM, eball said:

I know we treat McD and Beane as one entity at times, but coaching hires are squarely in McD’s domain.  Sean is serious about making the Bills better and I’m already psyched about the offense for next season despite losing Daboll.

Somebody get that man a bro!  Or a manssiere.  Something.  Good lord.

36vV.gif

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So Ken Dorsey was passing game coordinator last year. The Bills took a few lumps early on, but ended the season on a passing game zenith. A perfect game vs New England and a fireworks display vs KC. Knox was tied for the lead in TE TDs and we rediscovered a guy named Gabe Davis.

Now Kromer is brought in to help Dorsey install a running game and be a voice of balance. Eric Wood mentioned how Kromer helped him raise his game. That is solid Bills street cred. Both Wood and Incognito had career resurgences with Kromer. He will get the most out of any OL talent we have and not be shy about telling McDermott and Dorsey about who to start. I can see Bates (if retained), Dawkins and Brown benefiting from this. If Doyle or Ford have anything this is the time to show it. I think Morse is who is is at this point, but he did show an ability to pull (so did Bates) and block.

I like the strategy. No one for certain knows how much Dorsey took from Daboll, or where his responsibilities ended, but I liked how the pass game evolved. There were some blind spots for sure, and some game plans were too focused on a single player at times. But overall JA seemed to get into a rhythm as the season went on and as Dabs and company found carries for Singletary and mixed in more of the jet sweep type of game. This helped the play action game. It took adjustment but seemed to work really well by the end of the year and seemed to slow down the blitzes vs JA.

I'm hopeful Dorsey and Kromer can work together and make a more balanced attack. JA is amazing, but entering year 5 I want to see him taking less hits, and having to be a little less super human. Save that stuff for critical downs!

Kromer is a good hire, and shows the current Bills will dip back into the well if needed. That is head office growth. It also shows Kromer has grown too and holds no ill will with the Bills.

This could be beneficial as the Bills get close to cracking the Super Bowl aspirations they have and have to back fill positions due to success and free agency. I feel less crazy for imagining a Darby or Gilmore reunion now. Both could help this team next year.

Hoping we get Fournette as a mid tier FA to give Kromer a toy to work with. Fournette and Singletary would be a very solid RB backfield with Moss as an emergency option.

8/10 hire IMO

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Like your post up until that point… Bills don’t need to be more balanced, just more efficient when they run the ball…. The team should still be Josh Allen heavy and implement the run when necessary. 

Fair enough. I love a good conversation, and it is hard to put a whole thought in a social media post.

IMO JA can do anything needed to be all world. He has for the better part of 4 years.

I want him to take fewer hits. I liken JA to Elway/Young/Favre. Even more skilled as a runner. They extended their careers by taking fewer hits as they matured and used their legs for time to throw (like the pass to Knox vs KC) or to run for critical first downs like Young or Elway. I recall Young going 80 yards on a broken play, and Elway sacrificing his body for a TD in a Super Bowl. AOK with that.

I don't want JA to be McNabbed, where McNabb was coached out of his dual threat ability. I just want JA to take fewer hits, and to face fewer blitzes. I think a 65-35 or 60-40 pass run ratio (where as you said it was more efficient) would be good. Can the Bills get 4-5 yards in a 1st down run? Can they pick up 3rd and 3 or 4 with a RB? Does this make play action effective? Does this take some pressure off of JA, and we see less sugar high Allen because of it?

Even Bills fans fail to realize how run dependent the 90s Bills were. Thomas and Davis were studs, and the OL was good at pass blocking and run blocking. We don't have to revert to that, but some balance is needed IMO for Allen's long term outlook.

Edited by ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin

On 2/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, MWK said:

Interesting hire! Seemed to know what he was doing, so I like this.

If Aaron is good enough for the quite stunning Brooke , I am all in on second chances and she is more than just behind every good man is a great woman ( forgive me if she is a daughter !😀) !   Great o lines are fueled by the big guys playing well to get large contracts to keep their beautiful spouses happy !  Who wouldn’t run thru a wall with that waiting on the other side and what better example of what hard work can lead to when your coach is showing you what awaits you with success!   Let’s go Brooke,,,,,settle for nothing less than assistant coach of the year pushing Aaron to be the best version of himself !   Seems like a great signing !😀😊😉👍. I like the direction our organization is headed in!   👍👍😇

20 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

If Aaron is good enough for the quite stunning Brooke , I am all in on second chances and she is more than just behind every good man is a great woman ( forgive me if she is a daughter !😀) !   Great o lines are fueled by the big guys playing well to get large contracts to keep their beautiful spouses happy !  Who wouldn’t run thru a wall with that waiting on the other side and what better example of what hard work can lead to when your coach is showing you what awaits you with success!   Let’s go Brooke,,,,,settle for nothing less than assistant coach of the year pushing Aaron to be the best version of himself !   Seems like a great signing !😀😊😉👍. I like the direction our organization is headed in!   👍👍😇

It's his daughter

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I wonder if Austin Corbett (G) might be a Beane target.

Kromer might up the odds.

Looks like a nice vet.

love to see this type of FA signing. Bring back Bates. Draft IOL 2-4 round and then with one of the 7th rounders. Cut D. Williams and Feliciano, restructure Morse. Oline coule be set for two years. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hemma said:

I wonder if Austin Corbett (G) might be a Beane target.

Kromer might up the odds.

I think they definitely bring in a guard of some sort. Brabdon Scherff is top of the line with Andrew Norwell and his Carolina connections. 

I like Corbett because he is still young with upside and he turned into a pretty good player. Corbett coming here would put some closure on the whole Wyatt Teller thing since Cleveland traded Corbett because he was a bust for them and ended up replacing him with Teller. Full circle, kind of.

Other Kromer guys who will be available are Austin Blythe and Kyle Long. Blythe would be a nice replacement for Feliciano after he gets traded to the Giants. Blythe plays center and guard. 

Other guys who make sense are James Daniels and Conor Williams. I am not a Laken Tomlinson guy, but he makes sense as well. There will be options for sure. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:55 AM, DrPJax said:

FTN Sports Host & NFL Analyst @FTNnetwork | Rosemary Beach Realtor | Coach’s Kid 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.