Texans expected to hire Lovie Smith for HC

Gambit

13 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i dont think so...(not sure)...only if a team "loses" a candidate

The policy allows a team that loses a minority assistant coach or executive — to become a head coach or GM of another team — to receive a third-round compensatory pick for two years.

You’re probably right since comp picks by definition compensate you for losing something.  But Lovie was still given the opportunity to be a coordinator by the Texans.  By the spirit of the rule, I’d argue Texans still deserve the 2 picks.  

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

Florio floated out an interesting theory. He believes that Easterby always wanted to hire his friend Josh McCown.  He couldn’t hire him last year so they hired Culley to set him up to fail.

Thanks the the Flores lawsuit which named the Culley incident, they couldn’t hire McCown this year either.  So Lovie, who was never a finalist, suddenly because a candidate.  He thinks Lovie is set up to fail again like Culley to finally hire McCown

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/07/jack-easterby-continues-to-stay-a-step-ahead-of-everyone/

certainly plausible. Highly doubt the Texans want any more flak, which they certainly would’ve caught had they hired McCown. 

Lovie always seemed like a great guy and a good coach, but this is just uninspiring if I’m a Texans fan. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Florio floated out an interesting theory. He believes that Easterby always wanted to hire his friend Josh McCown.  He couldn’t hire him last year so they hired Culley to set him up to fail.

Thanks the the Flores lawsuit which named the Culley incident, they couldn’t hire McCown this year either.  So Lovie, who was never a finalist, suddenly because a candidate.  He thinks Lovie is set up to fail again like Culley to finally hire McCown

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/07/jack-easterby-continues-to-stay-a-step-ahead-of-everyone/

I think that's more what people expect from this move than just one man's theory.

You don't hire Lovie Smith if you are thinking "turnaround" right now.    He's washed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It's an interesting thought. I think the Watson saga set Culley up to fail more than anything else, though.

McCown reportedly said last year that he wasn't ready yet to coach. Then this year tells the Texans he's "all in" and ready. Issue here for me is let's see how all in he is. 

I think Lovie was hired because he will work with the Texans FO. Right now the obviously play for them is to offer McCown a spot on the staff for experience. Wouldn't shock me if Lovie had to agree to it before getting the spot. Now, if McCown joins the focus isn't setting Lovie up to fail as much as it becomes Lovie prepping McCown to be his successor.

If McCown turns down a spot on staff (if offered) it would make me seriously question if he's will in to put in the work that is required of a HC in the NFL if he won't even grind to gain qualifications that may be required.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'd be kind of bummed if I was a Texans fan.  Smith seems like a nice guy, but he hasn't fared well as HC.

Honestly, Flores is a much better candidate.  It's weird to me that no one seriously tried to hire him (just as weird as Miami firing him - I still don't know what they were thinking).

I'd want Flores as well, but Lovie isn't a bad choice.  Not having an elite QB, assuming Watson is traded, is Houston's biggest problem.

53 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Florio knows all apparently. That’s quite a journey so your pal can become the HC. Wasn’t Florio the guy who floated BD is out if Bills lose to Pats in first round? 

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

My first reaction was that this was an OK, but uninspired hire.  He has a lot of experience as a NFL head coach and got the Bears to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at QB.  Rex Grossman!  That said, I did not remember that he had an abysmal 2 years as head coach in Tampa.  He also didn't do much at Illinois.  So, my re-formed opinion is that this is not a good hire.

Frankly, I think Leslie Frazier, Byron Leftwich, Eric Bienamy or Todd Bowles would be all be better hires, if they really felt strongly about a minority hire.  Flores would have been a great hire, out of the gate, but I can't see a team hiring a guy is in active litigation against the league.  I wonder if Flores would have been a candidate (or hired) if he had not filed the suit.  I'd think so.

Agree 100% with this post. Seemed unfair that he lost the Chicago HC job when he did. Yes he had been there a long time but he was fired after a 10 win season.  He had 56.3% win rate(McD is 58%) a coach of the year and a DB appearance  

That said he has been terrible ever since.  An uninspiring hire but he does bring experience and he has had some success before.

I was/am a Todd Bowles fan. I wanted him instead of Rex. I think he deserves another chance. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Do the Texans get two 3rd picks?  They should since Smith was with Texans last season and now he’s a head coach.  

What they could do is hire Culley back as associate HC and fire Lovie next year and promote Culley-- rinse and repeat -- 2 extra 3rds every year.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Texans are such a tire fire that they had to pick from an internal hire and a backup QB with literally no coaching experience at any level. 

Yep. If you are a quality candidate worthy of obtaining interest from multiple teams, the Texans would NOT be your choice. They made their dumpster, not they have to sleep in it. 

Lovie is already there under contract, so he might as well take the significant raise. Nobody else is going there, that's for sure. 

Basically "here's $25 million to train McCown for a year or two"

I'm sure a large part of his job will be hiring McCown as OC and training him to be the next HC. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.