Texans expected to hire Lovie Smith for HC

Gambit

So the Texans finish 4-13 and think "let's fire the head coach and promote from within."  Lovie went 8-24 as the Bucs head coach and 17-39 as Liberty's head coach.  The Texans defense ranked 31st in yards allowed last year.  This is the worst hire of the nine openings and makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1

Caretaker hire set up to fail.  He gets a nice bump in pay and and a few guaranteed years on his contract for after he gets fired to pad his retirement. The Texans get the league office off their back about minority hires. Maybe Smith agrees to hire McCown as an assistant coach.

A win/win for both sides.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

I think this might actually be a good situation for him.  if watson can't play, he has a built in excuse year one.  if he does, he will win some games and generate some excitement.

i know the watson situation is really bad, but he may also trade him for some valuable pics.  compare that w daboll in nyg, who very likely is going to waste a year trying to improve a not great qb, and then go into a new draft needing a qb.  at least lovie might be able to get some value for their great qb, potentially leading to drafting another one, and it's a bit of a moon shot, but maybe the watson situation works itself out and he can play for them.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

So the Texans finish 4-13 and think "let's fire the head coach and promote from within."  Lovie went 8-24 as the Bucs head coach and 17-39 as Liberty's head coach.  The Texans defense ranked 31st in yards allowed last year.  This is the worst hire of the nine openings and makes no sense whatsoever.

Truly baffling. His resume is horrendous. 

15 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Believe the hire has to be an external one to qualify for the 2 draft picks. Lovie has to know he has no real future as HC of the Texans. That organization has to be one of the worst run in all of sports. They’ve got a top 10 talent at QB riding the bench during his prime years and don’t seem interested in doing anything about it - besides trying to fleece teams that want to trade for him. They’ve made all sorts of bad moves in just 2 years to become the bottom dweller they are today. 

I’m still shocked the Bills lost to the Texans in the playoffs just a few years back. How quickly that team has fallen is mind boggling. 

The Texans will not receive compensatory draft picks through the Smith hire. Under the league's Rooney Rule, teams receive two third-round picks for developing a minority assistant who is hired for a head-coaching job. However, because Smith is not leaving for another team and has not been on Houston's staff for two years, the Texans will not receive compensation.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33238258/houston-texans-hire-lovie-smith-head-coach

• Haha (+1) 1

my take on this is,  the Texans are still screwed.    Watsons situation wont be changing anytime soon and any coach coming in knows this.   Hiring Smith may be the Texans trying to appease Watson on some level,  try to bring him back into the fold.    Hey,  we hired an african american coach,  who went to the SB,  that kind of thing.

Texans arent getting what they think Watson is worth,  not even close,  they cant move on with him on the team not not playing,  and they cant move him.

Any coach coming into the Texans knows that this will be another throw away year for the franchise.

Lovie Smith isnt a hot commodity by any means,  hes much like Culley,  coming in to see if he can make a difference knowing all too well that most likely wont happen,  grabbing that NFL paycheck while he can.

until Watson is gone,  the Texans are a dead team.

Edited by bigduke6

1 hour ago, colin said:

I think this might actually be a good situation for him.  if watson can't play, he has a built in excuse year one.  if he does, he will win some games and generate some excitement.

i know the watson situation is really bad, but he may also trade him for some valuable pics.  compare that w daboll in nyg, who very likely is going to waste a year trying to improve a not great qb, and then go into a new draft needing a qb.  at least lovie might be able to get some value for their great qb, potentially leading to drafting another one, and it's a bit of a moon shot, but maybe the watson situation works itself out and he can play for them.

How did that built in excuse work for David Culley…

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

Caretaker hire set up to fail.  He gets a nice bump in pay and and a few guaranteed years on his contract for after he gets fired to pad his retirement. The Texans get the league office off their back about minority hires. Maybe Smith agrees to hire McCown as an assistant coach.

The Texans could do worse in their situation.  Smith is a high character guy who has a ton of head coaching experience.  He’s there to help stabilize the organization and get it on solid ground.  That’s no easy feat after their severe BoBing.  He’s 63 so this run is probably it for him.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The 7-figure annual salary would entice me to swallow some pride in the event someone offered me such a job. Sacrifice for a year or two (doing what you ostensibly love) and forever stabilize your family's finances? Sign me up. 

I think that was essentially David Culley's train of thought.  "Sign a guaranteed 3 yr contract, get paid $5M, and take home an extra $17M if you fire me?  Yeah, I know you're using me, but I'm OK being used like that".

6 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

It is right in line with the level of thinking I'd expect from the Texans, thinking that if they hire this guy fire him in a year and then hire McCown no one will be the wiser.

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Truly baffling. His resume is horrendous. 

I’m still shocked the Bills lost to the Texans in the playoffs just a few years back. How quickly that team has fallen is mind boggling. 

He was 81-63 in Chicago with a hodgepodge of mediocre QBs. He took over a bad TB team, went 2-14 in year one, drafted Winston, and then went 6-10, finishing 5th in yards and 10th in yards allowed. Then he gets fired and goes to Illinois, a historically bad program that has always struggled at recruiting. They tend to have one good year out of every five or six years, and the program he took over was in bad shape. It remained in bad shape because of recruiting and recruiting alone. But you don't have to recruit in the NFL.

20 hours ago, Success said:

I'd be kind of bummed if I was a Texans fan.  Smith seems like a nice guy, but he hasn't fared well as HC.

Honestly, Flores is a much better candidate.  It's weird to me that no one seriously tried to hire him (just as weird as Miami firing him - I still don't know what they were thinking).

The problem was Flores basically threw Belichick under the bus when the Texans front office has ties to him. The Texans feel like the Ralph Wilson lead Bills to be honest as do the Jaguars in that their owners just don't know how to run a football organization and until they find a GM that can their in trouble of being the laughing stock of the league. 

29 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was 81-63 in Chicago with a hodgepodge of mediocre QBs. He took over a bad TB team, went 2-14 in year one, drafted Winston, and then went 6-10, finishing 5th in yards and 10th in yards allowed. Then he gets fired and goes to Illinois, a historically bad program that has always struggled at recruiting. They tend to have one good year out of every five or six years, and the program he took over was in bad shape. It remained in bad shape because of recruiting and recruiting alone. But you don't have to recruit in the NFL.

You do have to recruit in the NFL, and as important as it is in college, culture might be more important in the NFL.  The McDermott years are teaching me more about the ins and outs of a football locker room that admit have never been in before. 

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The Texans could do worse in their situation.  Smith is a high character guy who has a ton of head coaching experience.  He’s there to help stabilize the organization and get it on solid ground.  That’s no easy feat after their severe BoBing.  He’s 63 so this run is probably it for him.

They definitely could do worse, he has actual head coaching experience, but its not an accident that the Texans last two hires had zero interest from any other team.  I don't think they (nor Lovie Smith) expects this to last more than a couple of years.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.