Texans expected to hire Lovie Smith for HC

Gambit

Believe the hire has to be an external one to qualify for the 2 draft picks. Lovie has to know he has no real future as HC of the Texans. That organization has to be one of the worst run in all of sports. They’ve got a top 10 talent at QB riding the bench during his prime years and don’t seem interested in doing anything about it - besides trying to fleece teams that want to trade for him. They’ve made all sorts of bad moves in just 2 years to become the bottom dweller they are today. 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Believe the hire has to be an external one to qualify for the 2 draft picks. Lovie has to know he has no real future as HC of the Texans. That organization has to be one of the worst run in all of sports. They’ve got a top 10 talent at QB riding the bench during his prime years and don’t seem interested in doing anything about it - besides trying to fleece teams that want to trade for him. They’ve made all sorts of bad moves in just 2 years to become the bottom dweller they are today. 

That is correct. Also, the coach has to have been on the club losing him's staff for 2 seasons. Lovie was there 1 year.

Even if another team hired Lovie Smith this year it would have resulted in zero comp picks for anyone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lovie is already there under contract, so he might as well take the significant raise. Nobody else is going there, that's for sure. 

Basically "here's $25 million to train McCown for a year or two"

I'm sure a large part of his job will be hiring McCown as OC and training him to be the next HC. 

McCown as OC is even a stretch. Coordinator positions also fall under Rooney. I could see QB coach as his start based on many years as qb. But his HC candidacy is bizarre even outside the Rooney rule. Texans are something. 

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Florio knows all apparently. That’s quite a journey so your pal can become the HC. Wasn’t Florio the guy who floated BD is out if Bills lose to Pats in first round? 

Yes, Florio knows all, and that why it will soon be the Austin Bills...the guy is a clown, though quite prolific I must say...

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

McCown as OC is even a stretch. Coordinator positions also fall under Rooney. I could see QB coach as his start based on many years as qb. But his HC candidacy is bizarre even outside the Rooney rule. Texans are something. 

It's truly amazing how dysfunctional the Texans are...

I mean, can their fans even get excited about this? We used to talk ourselves into the Jaurons and Mularkeys of the world because "you never know" but at least there wasn't this level of ugliness around the team. We just had a 90+ year old owner and some of the issues that come from him wanting to still play a major role. There was some goofiness, but not the type of ugly stuff going on in Houston. 

At the end of the day we could still like our team. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is BD?

Daboll? I find the McD/Daboll discourse interesting. If McD was unhappy with him to the point he wanted him gone, I don’t think there’s any way Schoen would’ve made him a HC. McD and Beane talk regularly, you can believe Beane talks to Schoen and the others as well, so if there was internal strife, I don’t think that hire happens. I do think there were disagreements, but never to the point where a coordinator was going to lose a job. We heard how much Farwell wanted out too, isn’t he still employed with the Bills?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Lovie is already there under contract, so he might as well take the significant raise. Nobody else is going there, that's for sure. 

Basically "here's $25 million to train McCown for a year or two"

I'm sure a large part of his job will be hiring McCown as OC and training him to be the next HC.

The Texans are obligated by rule to interview 2 external minority candidates for OC.

If they hire the objectively unqualified McCown above the 2 external minority candidates they interview, I believe that will cause almost as much fuss as hiring McCown as HC would have.

They can hire McCown as an offensive assistant, assistant QB coach, or even QB coach with no push-back.

46 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Daboll? I find the McD/Daboll discourse interesting. If McD was unhappy with him to the point he wanted him gone, I don’t think there’s any way Schoen would’ve made him a HC. McD and Beane talk regularly, you can believe Beane talks to Schoen and the others as well, so if there was internal strife, I don’t think that hire happens. I do think there were disagreements, but never to the point where a coordinator was going to lose a job. We heard how much Farwell wanted out too, isn’t he still employed with the Bills?

Oh Durrr of course, Brian Daboll.  I hadn't heard that "BD is out of Bills lose to Pats in the first round"

Erik Turner of Cover1, who I believe has legit contacts, tweeted that the coaching staff found that part of the lawsuit amusing.  What isn't often included along with it is the timing - McDonnell tweeted Flores January 11th. 

The Bills had just "run the table" to earn the 3rd seed in the AFC and the AFC East title.  Their first playoff game was 13 Jan.  This wasn't a result of potential friction over 13 seconds.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Texans are obligated by rule to interview 2 external minority candidates for OC.

If they hire the objectively unqualified McCown above the 2 external minority candidates they interview, I believe that will cause almost as much fuss as hiring McCown as HC would have.

They can hire McCown as an offensive assistant, assistant QB coach, or even QB coach with no push-back.

That makes sense... their obsession with McCown is so bizarre... I really wanted to see it just from the pure entertainment value of watching an AFC team completely and totally implode 

4 hours ago, Beast said:

Agreed.

For the rest of the AFC South.

There's more here than meets the eye.  It's an obvious tank maneuver, or at a minimum they went with a place holder until they can find a more favorable candidate next hiring cycle.

One or the other would be my guess.  No way he was hired on raw merit.

2 hours ago, 716to540 said:

No matter my skin color, at this point I wouldn't take any open head coaching job. Darned if you do, darned if you don't IMO.

The 7-figure annual salary would entice me to swallow some pride in the event someone offered me such a job. Sacrifice for a year or two (doing what you ostensibly love) and forever stabilize your family's finances? Sign me up. 

• Agree 1

I don't think Lovie is a good choice.  He was DC in St. Louis when they had a halfway decent defense to go with the Greatest Show on Turf.  He moved on to mediocrity as a coach in the NFL, and a bad stint as HC at the University of Illinois.  

Flores should be coaching somewhere.  He's a winner.  Not only that, he would be immediately embraced by the black players on his team.  They have to admire his standing up for principles.  

I don't see any improvement in the future for the Texans.  I don't care, either.

2 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I don't think Lovie is a good choice.  He was DC in St. Louis when they had a halfway decent defense to go with the Greatest Show on Turf.  He moved on to mediocrity as a coach in the NFL, and a bad stint as HC at the University of Illinois.  

Flores should be coaching somewhere.  He's a winner.  Not only that, he would be immediately embraced by the black players on his team.  They have to admire his standing up for principles.  

I don't see any improvement in the future for the Texans.  I don't care, either.

I don't know, even putting aside the whole angle of being blackballed/punished for the lawsuit, would an organization really want to hire a guy with that big of a distraction bringing that kind of circus with him?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.