Texans expected to hire Lovie Smith for HC

Gambit

I'd be kind of bummed if I was a Texans fan.  Smith seems like a nice guy, but he hasn't fared well as HC.

Honestly, Flores is a much better candidate.  It's weird to me that no one seriously tried to hire him (just as weird as Miami firing him - I still don't know what they were thinking).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 8

My first reaction was that this was an OK, but uninspired hire.  He has a lot of experience as a NFL head coach and got the Bears to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at QB.  Rex Grossman!  That said, I did not remember that he had an abysmal 2 years as head coach in Tampa.  He also didn't do much at Illinois.  So, my re-formed opinion is that this is not a good hire.

Frankly, I think Leslie Frazier, Byron Leftwich, Eric Bienamy or Todd Bowles would be all be better hires, if they really felt strongly about a minority hire.  Flores would have been a great hire, out of the gate, but I can't see a team hiring a guy is in active litigation against the league.  I wonder if Flores would have been a candidate (or hired) if he had not filed the suit.  I'd think so.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I'd be kind of bummed if I was a Texans fan.  Smith seems like a nice guy, but he hasn't fared well as HC.

Honestly, Flores is a much better candidate.  It's weird to me that no one seriously tried to hire him (just as weird as Miami firing him - I still don't know what they were thinking).

It's obvious now why they fired him. There was real friction between Flores and the Dolphins owner, about tanking and about personell choices.

I think Flores would have gotten one of the jobs without his lawsuit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Success said:

No doubt....imagine how much better the Fins woulda been with a 1/2 way decent draft and some off season acquisitions that mattered?  Oi !!!

2 hours ago, Success said:

Not weird at all IMO. I think if he doesn't file that lawsuit, Flores is likely to be hired by the Texans. Had the NE connections, was brought in very early in the search. He at least stood a good shot.

However, it would set a terrible standard and give off the appearence that all you had to do to land a HC gig was push a lawsuit and you would be appeased. Would open the door for many other disgruntled minority coaches to potentially attempt the same tactics.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's obvious now why they fired him. There was real friction between Flores and the Dolphins owner, about tanking and about personell choices.

And yet....

Had the Dolphins taken Herbert over Tua there's a chance that they sneak into that playoffs last year. Flores isn't fired. He's still collecting millions form someone that allegedly tried to bribe him to lose and there is no lawsuit.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Do the Texans get two 3rd picks?  They should since Smith was with Texans last season and now he’s a head coach.  

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Yea they get 2 from the Texans.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s a serious, non-troll question.  There’s no reason they shouldn’t get 2 comp picks like the others who had minority coaches hired to head coaching duties.  It incentivizes the same thing.  

That don't confront me as long as New England don't get any...🤨

😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

13 minutes ago, Success said:

I think they were thinking …

It’s year 3 of the Flores Program.  Expectations are to be a Playoff Team.

Dolphins went 1-7.

Goal: Playoffs

Reality: 1-7

You pull that nonsense in Year 1…maybe Year 2, if you have a QB Injury to use as an excuse.

You pull that nonsense in YEAR 3?!?  1-7.  1-7 in Year 3?!?!

It is time for you to go!

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s a serious, non-troll question.  There’s no reason they shouldn’t get 2 comp picks like the others who had minority coaches hired to head coaching duties.  It incentivizes the same thing.  

Ok. The 2 picks deal isn't to reward a team for hiring a minority candidate.

One issue for minority candidates was that they were not being mentored, groomed and set up to succeed. A claim was that they were not given the same opportunities to become qualified for the next steps. The draft choices given were in part meant help motavate teams to increase the opportunity for minority coaches to succeed once named to HC position. 

Much like comp picks some teams rake it into consideration while others do not.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Do the Texans get two 3rd picks?  They should since Smith was with Texans last season and now he’s a head coach.  

i dont think so...(not sure)...only if a team "loses" a candidate

The policy allows a team that loses a minority assistant coach or executive — to become a head coach or GM of another team — to receive a third-round compensatory pick for two years.

21 minutes ago, MJS said:

There's no doubt. Flores is a talented coach and he obviously got a raw deal with that clusterf*** of an organization and owner, but bringing a lawsuit against multiple teams while also playing the race card was an absolute boneheaded decision if he really wanted to be a head coach again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Florio floated out an interesting theory. He believes that Easterby always wanted to hire his friend Josh McCown.  He couldn’t hire him last year so they hired Culley to set him up to fail.

Thanks the the Flores lawsuit which named the Culley incident, they couldn’t hire McCown this year either.  So Lovie, who was never a finalist, suddenly because a candidate.  He thinks Lovie is set up to fail again like Culley to finally hire McCown

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/07/jack-easterby-continues-to-stay-a-step-ahead-of-everyone/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.