Super Bowl. — The Commercials

djp14150

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hate myself but I opened the QR code that was bouncing around 

Maybe it's because I don't usually use QR codes, but I thought that was the worst Super Bowl commercial I'd ever seen.  I was literally yelling at the TV for it to stop.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That is because you and I are no longer the target market. Once you are outside the coveted 18-30 range, or whatever it is these days, your opinion no longer matters. 

Exactly.  The same thing that drives the halftime entertainment.

BTW - what part of ATL are you?

The one things i absolutely despise is when they show the commercials before the game what's the sense in that it completely ruins them if you have seen them before the game is played . And that's why i stay away from any of that stuff before as to not ruin it for my full game time enjoyment .

But my favorite one this year was the one with the puppets coming out of the TV that was very funny ! 

32 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am in Marietta right where it borders Roswell.  Northeast Cobb.

Then you've probably been to Lucia's Italian restaurant at 92 and Sandy Plains and seen the Bills stuff on display.  Not too far from there myself.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Two things:

1) I loved the Big Lebowski bowling ad, but Payton can't bowl. Keep your hand behind the ball champ!

2) That QR code thing went on for a whole minute. Coinbase spent 14 million dollars on that. That's the pets.com SB ad for the crypto bubble.

Loved the Lebowski ad too, because Big Lebowski. :D

But, but personally, I loved the Coinbase ad the most...

It drove curiosity (eventually I was like "OK, guess I have to scan this...").  It was probably the least expensive ad to produce (I've worked on SB spots, brands spend waaaaaaaay to much on them).  And it drove a ton a buzz - worked so well their site crashed (which probably ended up pissing a lot of people off).

Would love to have sat in the pitch meeting for that, "OK big idea we're just going to show a QR code bouncing around like a freaking DVD logo screensaver!  People will FREAK OUT!!"  *stunned silence*   :beer: 

Edited by Heitz
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t pay much attention to the commercials, but I didn’t love any of them. The game turned out to be exciting at the end. My point was more to the garbage (IMO) halftime show. Since I’m not at the stadium, I don’t need that much time to refresh my drink and hit the head. Rap and disco should be tied together, and flushed forever. 

J64XPMc.jpg

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The Larry David commercial was great if you like or “get” Larry David.  Dr. Evil was a hit.  After a second watch, I even liked the Rocket Mortgage Barbie ad.  And I thought the Scarlett Johansson/Colin Jost Alexa stuff was really funny.  Robot dog was cute.

I don’t remember one single ad from last year’s Super Bowl, so for me this was an improvement.  It’s not the golden age of TV ads any more, but there were a few good ones.

As for the Super Bowl’s target market, it’s not the 18-30 set…it’s the middle-agers, 40s and 50s.  I think this year they nailed it.

Best commercials:

Anna Kendrick with Barbie house, but Castle Greyskull, He-Man & Skeletor helped make it the best.

Eugene Levy with Nissan.

Budweiser Clydesdale.

NFL Charity.

The Doritos animal commercial seemed like a take off from the Budweiser frogs, unfortunately it fell flat.

Larry David was nothing special, and yes I get the humor, still boring.

Paul Rudd & Seth Rogen was lame, as was the Dr. Evil commercial.

The Sopranos themed commercial was okay.

Amazon with Scarlett Johannsen was meh.

Zeus electric car commercial was strange.

Overall takeaway.....Buy an electric automobile, invest in cryptocurrency and cameras are racist.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.