Alvin Kamara arrested in Vegas after Pro Bowl

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

what culture that Alvin belongs to promotes throat tattoos?  Can't think of any.   

Good points.  It does depend on the DA.  If the DA want's to go after Alvin, he can subpoena the victim.  At this point, it's "the state" v. Alvin, not the victim.  And the victim has to cooperate if summoned.  

BTW, is this video in the public domain anywhere?  All I can find are recaps.  

TMZ will eventually get it.  They always seem to $$$find$$$ a way...

• Like (+1) 2

the thing I don't get about all of this, is that Kamara seemed like a good dude, and then this happens.  Pro athletes need to surround themselves with better people.  Do teams have people to go with these guys to events in cities like Vegas to keep them out of trouble?? 

34 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the thing I don't get about all of this, is that Kamara seemed like a good dude, and then this happens.  Pro athletes need to surround themselves with better people.  Do teams have people to go with these guys to events in cities like Vegas to keep them out of trouble?? 

According to a review of the video, Kamara initiated the physical contact with the guy and punched him approximately eight times, including two or three after the guy was down. Responsibility for his behavior starts with him. If he needs people around him to keep him from violently assaulting others, then maybe they should replace those people with steel bars in the form of a jail cell...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Am I following this correctly?  Alvin stayed out until 0630a on the night before and day of the Pro Bowl drinking and partying?  He then went on to play the game later that day and was subsequently taken into custody (presumably in or near the locker room after the game).  

3 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

well if Kamara is guilty of all this,  i hope he has to pay out his ass to make it go away,   money and the loss of it is the only thing alot of people understand as punishment these days.   hit him hard,  make him rethink his life choices.

let him spend his few remaining football years in the slammer

4 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

what culture that Alvin belongs to promotes throat tattoos?  Can't think of any.   

Good points.  It does depend on the DA.  If the DA want's to go after Alvin, he can subpoena the victim.  At this point, it's "the state" v. Alvin, not the victim.  And the victim has to cooperate if summoned.  

BTW, is this video in the public domain anywhere?  All I can find are recaps.  

Good point.  You and Hap both reminded me that even if the state does in fact pursue charges against Kamara, and even if they go for more serious charges, it's all moot if the witness doesn't cooperate.  And if Kamara throws the right amount of money at the guy, I would imagine he'd most certainly not cooperate.   Again, I haven't seen the video, but if it's bad as described, I can see the league suspending Kamara to the tune of, my guess would be 4 games minimum, if he's lucky.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Supposed pics of the victim.

Kamara.jpg

I can't tell if that's swelling or just natural fluffiness.

9 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Good point.  You and Hap both reminded me that even if the state does in fact pursue charges against Kamara, and even if they go for more serious charges, it's all moot if the witness doesn't cooperate.  And if Kamara throws the right amount of money at the guy, I would imagine he'd most certainly not cooperate.   Again, I haven't seen the video, but if it's bad as described, I can see the league suspending Kamara to the tune of, my guess would be 4 games minimum, if he's lucky.

Hunt got 8 games for what appears to be substantially less

3 hours ago, wjag said:

Am I following this correctly?  Alvin stayed out until 0630a on the night before and day of the Pro Bowl drinking and partying?  He then went on to play the game later that day and was subsequently taken into custody (presumably in or near the locker room after the game).  

I dunno about where he was taken into custody, but otherwise - yes.

17 hours ago, NoSaint said:

to be fair, they might not have completed interviews with others, getting the video etc… until after his workday started. At that point, why not bring him in at the close of business in a less confrontational manner 

If that’s how it played out I completely agree 

5 hours ago, wjag said:

Yes and the nfl knew he was a suspect before the game. The police told them. 

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was thinking that prosecutors usually won't pursue charges if the witness disappears or refuses to cooperate. 

And a confidential settlement can specify that the settlement is void if the parties discuss what happened (including in court)

But you do have a point in that the video evidence might make a huge difference.  I guess it depends on the DA.

I agree that the league will suspend him, and should.  The video with Hunt, while against a woman, was relatively "milquetoast" and the young woman suffered no injuries.  Hunt was suspended 8 games.

Just finished watching the Hunt video for the first time.  Okay, if Hunt got suspend 8 games for THAT, Kamara could be looking upwards of 71, 72 games.  

Sheesh, I'm a STAUNCH critic of men who put their hands on women, but I gotta agree with you, that video was rather softcore IMO.  8 games was obviously the league making an example out of him. 

I really, really want to see this video now.  Noone seems to have a copy. In due time I suppose.  

In relation to football, losing Kamara for a quarter, half or longer is going to be a huge blow, but I think the impact will be significantly greater because of several factors.  The uncertainty at the QB position, regardless of who is back there. The Saints best bet IMO is to have Winston win the job and start the season as QB1.  They're going to need Kamara there as not just the dynamic back that he is, but I think his blocking abilities are underrated, and him being that safety valve for dumpoffs and screen passes is crucial. Plus, they still don't know if their number one WR will even be there come opening day.  

20 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Just finished watching the Hunt video for the first time.  Okay, if Hunt got suspend 8 games for THAT, Kamara could be looking upwards of 71, 72 games.  

Sheesh, I'm a STAUNCH critic of men who put their hands on women, but I gotta agree with you, that video was rather softcore IMO.  8 games was obviously the league making an example out of him. 

To be fair, there was apparently another incident at the Put-in Bay Resort in Ohio, where Hunt punched a fellow guest:

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/06/06/kareem-hunt-punches-man-ohio-resort-kansas-city-chiefs-report/

No injury, no arrest, but it was 2 incidents within 6 months, and that may have factored into the suspension.

20 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I really, really want to see this video now.  Noone seems to have a copy. In due time I suppose.  

In relation to football, losing Kamara for a quarter, half or longer is going to be a huge blow, but I think the impact will be significantly greater because of several factors.  The uncertainty at the QB position, regardless of who is back there. The Saints best bet IMO is to have Winston win the job and start the season as QB1.  They're going to need Kamara there as not just the dynamic back that he is, but I think his blocking abilities are underrated, and him being that safety valve for dumpoffs and screen passes is crucial. Plus, they still don't know if their number one WR will even be there come opening day.  

Agree.  And yeah, the video will surface eventually.

4 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Anyone know what that shirt patch is?

"Dead Head" with a lightening bolt.

Shows up better in this one:

image.thumb.png.17e57a50d15c85455d71481a4ac8b465.png

It's not the usual Grateful Dead "deadhead" type logo.  Unclear what it's supporting.

12 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

well if Kamara is guilty of all this,  i hope he has to pay out his ass to make it go away,   money and the loss of it is the only thing alot of people understand as punishment these days.   hit him hard,  make him rethink his life choices.

It’s bad character, no doubt. Did he cross an unforgivable line though? No. Punk kids get into fights because of pride, it’s much easier to just walk away. 

I will say this though, I do see an opportunity to get him on the cheap after this. He is an elite play maker and I believe in second chances. Kamara would supercharge that RB position and Singletary would be the perfect backup to him.

But once again, shame on him for acting the way he did, but like most young men his age, he didn’t see the long play, but I think after getting suspended he’ll learn quickly. People mature and change over time.

10 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

I can't tell if that's swelling or just natural fluffiness.

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that it’s not legal to pay somebody to not testify in a criminal inquiry. Maybe he could pay the victim to make a civil lawsuit go away, but not a crime. And even if the victim doesn’t testify, what more evidence do you need than the video and sworn statement they already have?

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that it’s not legal to pay somebody to not testify in a criminal inquiry. Maybe he could pay the victim to make a civil lawsuit go away, but not a crime. And even if the victim doesn’t testify, what more evidence do you need than the video and sworn statement they already have?

Of course it's not legal to do that!  You pay them to privately settle a civil claim with a clause that neither side will discuss the matter publicly.  If they then decide not to pursue a criminal complaint, I'm sure that is only a coincidence.  And if they move and leave no forwarding address so they can't be contacted, I'm sure that's an oversight.  Remember the Greg Hardy case?

I dunno, not having seen the video, but without a victim to cross-examine I'm pretty sure a good defense lawyer would find all sorts of holes to create reasonable doubt.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Of course it's not legal to do that!  You pay them to privately settle a civil claim with a clause that neither side will discuss the matter publicly.  If they then decide not to pursue a criminal complaint, I'm sure that is only a coincidence.  And if they move and leave no forwarding address so they can't be contacted, I'm sure that's an oversight.  Remember the Greg Hardy case?

I dunno, not having seen the video, but without a victim to cross-examine I'm pretty sure a good defense lawyer would find all sorts of holes to create reasonable doubt.

The DA decides whether to pursue a criminal complaint, not the victim. And the victim can be subpoenaed to testify if the DA wants, although if he is unwilling it may not be desirable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.