Just saying... Jim Schwartz is out there looking for DC job

tomur67

10 hours ago, motorj said:

#1 defense outplayed by the bungals #18 defense

No home team has ever blown a 10 point or more half time lead in the Conference Championship Game...ever.

Thats as much a choke job by the Chiefs as it is a great performance by the Bengals.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, recovery96 said:

Yes, but we can’t ignore the QB’s we faced off against. I know #1, but let’s not act like we had the best defense in the league, because we didn’t.

A lot of us whistling past the graveyard over the season, but honestly...yeah, I believe R96 is unfortunately correct.

My thing is I hope Beane and Company realize it and do something about it and not pull a (with all do respect) Polian and Levy and go through 4 Super Bowl years with, for example, an undersized nose tackle.

When Theodore "The Slender" came in a couple of years later it changed the prowl of our D for the next half decade.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Which trend? The one where if you ignore all the good things and only look at the bad things, that things look pretty bad?

That's not a trend. It's the result of partial information leaving only a partial picture.

By using this methodology, finding three bad games in two years, we can conclusively prove that for the 2000 Ravens "things look pretty bad" on defense. I mean, within two years they allowed 35 points to a 9-7 Chiefs squad, 31 points to the 4-12 Bengals and 36 points to the 7-9 Jags. They must suck. I mean, sure, most consider them one of the greatest Ds in history, but still, having three bad games apparently proves you're no good.

Same with the '85 Bears. Having allowed, in their championship year and the one before, 38 points to the  Dolphins, 28 points to the 2-14 Bucs, 44 points to the Bears, 38 to the Cardinals and 29 to the Rams, they must bite also.

No, I'm not saying that the Bills D this year ranks with those Ds. But I am pointing out that even the absolute best defenses have bad games. That's the way it works.

All fair & valid points. My only response is that the 2000 Ravens D & 85 Bears D will continue being remembered for the role their groups had in winning when it mattered, instrumental while our D will live on the collective pages on twobillsdrive here & who folded & collapsed when it mattered.

Schwartz certainly did a fine job when he was the Bills' DC in Marrone's 2nd (and final) season. However, let's not forget that he had a fantastic front 4 to work with, including  a still dominant Mario Williams, a young/rejuvenated Jerry Hughes, Kyle Williams in his prime, and Marcel D. before he signed his big contract and stopped caring. Each of those guys had close to double-digit sacks that year.

If we had that front 4 this past season, there is no doubt in my mind that we would be playing this Sunday -- with Frazier as DC.

14 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

We just had the number 1 def. There is no pleasing some people.

Yeah how dare we expect the #1 defense in the NFL  (cough cough )to not let a team march all the way to a field goal in 13 freaking sec....   Please stop with the number one rating TOTAL smoke and mirrors that caught up with them... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I can without a doubt say that Schwartz wouldn’t have had the secondary playing 30 yards off the LOS. Frazier is a weak coward of a DC, he is very good at developing players in the secondary but that doesn’t mean he should be calling plays on defense.

I'm going to go out on a limb here with you and agree that for whatever reason, this defense never looked like a #1 defense to me, especially against good teams.  I know they looked great at times, just not when it really mattered the most.

15 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

We just had the number 1 def. There is no pleasing some people.

Our #1 D was most definitely a mirage.  They were solid, but that #1 ranking was built against bad teams & mediocre QB's.

Personally, I like Schwartz; his style was aggressive and his defenses always played well.  Can't see him coming back here, though.

15 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

We’ve played weak offenses the past 3 seasons…..I’m starting to think there are only a handful of actual good offenses in the NFL. 

6 games a year against Miami, NYJ, and Pats without Brady.

Finally seeing more posters have the courage to speak out about the fraudulent ranking of the defense last year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.