Spotrac has Levi Wallace valued @ $9M/yr. Thoughts?

Estro

I hope he gets a good sized deal with some guaranteed $$$, although I would love to have him back on another team friendly deal. Levi has been a great and often glossed over find by Beane.

UDFA who has over performed his contract every season, what more can you ask from a guy?  Didn't really notice the lack of Tre's presence on the field until the Divisional round... whether or not getting to play Mac Jones a bunch, Zach Wilson, and Matt Ryan contributed to that success is up to his agent to gloss over...

Body of work shows to me he is a solid #2 CB, and somebody will pay for that, putting extra stock in the fact he started on a defense that lost Tre White and still only surrendered Twelve passing TDs, in the first extended 17 game regular season.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To his defense Levi absolutely improved his man coverage this year 

I think he's squarely a top 40 corner in the league 

I wouldn't pay him 9 mil but he vastly improved his ability to mirror guys in man coverage.. he is 10x better than a few years ago

So slotting Wallace in at  $9M AAV right now puts him as a top-20 corner in the league

Different position, but worth talking about as a clue to how the Bills might value Wallace:

The Bills just signed Taron Johnson to a 3 year, $24M contract, $8M AAV.  $13.7M guaranteed, $4M signing bonus. 

Like a lot of these contracts, it's back-loaded with his cap hit going from $2.4M this past season, to $4.5M in 2022, to $9.2 and then $10.2 in '23 and '24.

For comparison, it's worth looking at how it's structured and what's guaranteed

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/taron-johnson-25222/

So if the Bills valued Taron Johnson at $8M yr/3 years, with about half of that guaranteed, is it a huge stretch to value Levi Wallace at $28.8M ($9.6M/yr)?

One point is to always look at the contract structure and the guarantees.  Someone could offer Wallace a $30M 3 yr contract, but how much is up front, and how much is guaranteed?

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I was surprised both that we got him for what we did last season and what Spotrac now has him valued at.  It’s probably time to move on and draft a replacement.  We should also look for a serviceable value CB in FA.  Maybe Levi doesn’t get what he expects on the FA market.  It’s best for all to tell him to go and see what he can get, but ask him to keep us in mind when he sees what teams are offering.  Maybe it’ll be worth bringing him back.  If not, congratulate him on his new contract, thank him for what he did here and wish him well going forward. 

Dane Jackson is up and coming.
I have been a big fan of Levi for many reasons. I even defend him. He keeps improving his game slowly but steadily and I would be happy if Bills found a way that works for both !
Hope we can keep him or he finds a nice payday somewhere. he has earned it
 CB should come through the draft for Bills as long as we have Tre healthy.
But rookie corners are going to get attacked right away. so i prefer Bills do like they have with Dane. and develop him behind the Pro's
ps we need to find poyer and hydes replacement if we are thinking DBs more than Levi they gettin old

Go Bills

Wallace will get a decent contract somewhere but I doubt the Bills will be into him for $9M.  As far as drafting a first round corner, this may be the time. The new guy could replace Wallace and eventually become the CB1.  I can picture Beane wanting to time out the end of the next rookie corner's first contract to coincide with the eventual end of White's time as a highly paid corner in Buffalo.  As sad as that sounds, corners have a shelf life and good teams move on before they are overpaying for diminished skills.  Much of this will depend on having the right player available at pick 25.

1 hour ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I hope he gets a good sized deal with some guaranteed $$$, although I would love to have him back on another team friendly deal. Levi has been a great and often glossed over find by Beane.

UDFA who has over performed his contract every season, what more can you ask from a guy?  Didn't really notice the lack of Tre's presence on the field until the Divisional round... whether or not getting to play Mac Jones a bunch, Zach Wilson, and Matt Ryan contributed to that success is up to his agent to gloss over...

Body of work shows to me he is a solid #2 CB, and somebody will pay for that, putting extra stock in the fact he started on a defense that lost Tre White and still only surrendered Twelve passing TDs, in the first extended 17 game regular season.

they were stoned….

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Dane Jackson is up and coming.
I have been a big fan of Levi for many reasons. I even defend him. He keeps improving his game slowly but steadily and I would be happy if Bills found a way that works for both !
Hope we can keep him or he finds a nice payday somewhere. he has earned it
 CB should come through the draft for Bills as long as we have Tre healthy.
But rookie corners are going to get attacked right away. so i prefer Bills do like they have with Dane. and develop him behind the Pro's
ps we need to find poyer and hydes replacement if we are thinking DBs more than Levi they gettin old

Go Bills

I’m good with Dane Jackson as inexpensive depth.  I don’t want to go into a season depending on him to be a starter, not by a long shot.

I’d like to see us both sign and draft a CB.  Tre is by no means a lock to be ready at the start of the season or to be counted on to round back into form in 2022.  In any event we won’t know whether or not that is the case until after FA and the draft.  The Bills have to proceed as if he won’t be ready.  Something like a one year deal for a vet towards the end of his career would be a good move. 

Agree on a safety.  I think we should’ve been looking for one before now.  Siran Neal was not that good of a player.  I want to see him replaced by one or two developmental guys.  Depth there has been poor. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

That’s such an insulting offer that would never even get presented. 

I wish someone would insult me like that. lol.

I mean, how much better is he really than Dane Jackson anyway? Just draft a new CB or bring in a FA to compete with Jackson for the spot opposite Tre.

Edited by vincec

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So slotting Wallace in at  $9M AAV right now puts him as a top-20 corner in the league

Different position, but worth talking about as a clue to how the Bills might value Wallace:

The Bills just signed Taron Johnson to a 3 year, $24M contract, $8M AAV.  $13.7M guaranteed, $4M signing bonus. 

Like a lot of these contracts, it's back-loaded with his cap hit going from $2.4M this past season, to $4.5M in 2022, to $9.2 and then $10.2 in '23 and '24.

For comparison, it's worth looking at how it's structured and what's guaranteed

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/taron-johnson-25222/

So if the Bills valued Taron Johnson at $8M yr/3 years, with about half of that guaranteed, is it a huge stretch to value Levi Wallace at $28.8M ($9.6M/yr)?

One point is to always look at the contract structure and the guarantees.  Someone could offer Wallace a $30M 3 yr contract, but how much is up front, and how much is guaranteed?

Those are all fair questions.. it's up to the bills to decide what they think he's worth

McDermott has talked about in the past how it takes three players to replace Johnson when he goes down... Because of all the aspects of his game... As a former defensive back I can see how versatile he is ..

His ability to tackle off the edge.. and blitz.. his ability to tackle the receiver and allow minimum yac... And play Sean's combination coverages make him probably more valuable than Levi 

And it's tough to have all that money tied up in the secondary

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.