Spotrac has Levi Wallace valued @ $9M/yr. Thoughts?

Estro

13 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

He overachieved for an undrafted player but watch him vs kc in the last game and tell me he’s worth $10m.

Draft a CB at 25 I collect the comp pick from Wallace singing for $10m elsewhere 

There is such a massive shortage of decent CBs in the league that he’s probably worth that number. Watch teams like Washington, Atlanta, and the Jets. Their corners are generally very bad overall. Other teams (Seattle, Detroit, Minnesota, to name three) need help too. Wallace is at least decent and a legit starter. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

How many games did Gilmore win for the Bills? Oh yeah, how hard did he play? 

Gilmore was very talented but drafting him did not result in winning game for the Bills.

Bill, perhaps the main reason the Bills lost to KC was because of physically limited corners who couldn’t keep up with the KC receivers. CB is a more important position than it was 20 years ago. The game has evolved.

• Agree 1

BUFFALO BILLS
CB LEVI WALLACE
2021 Player Grade/Rank: 65.2 (55 of 134)
2021 Team Position Grade/Rank: 69.5 (12th of 32)

The Bills lost star cornerback Tre’Davious White for the season with a torn ACL in Week 12, and Wallace played a big part in their defense maintaining a high level of play down the stretch, earning a 68.5 coverage grade on 993 snaps. Wallace has played at least 400 snaps in every season since signing as an undrafted free agent (UDFA) in 2018 and has never earned a grade below 60.0 — a strong floor at a volatile position like outside cornerback.

While White is “on schedule” with his rehab per Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott, there’s no timetable for when White will be 100 percent healthy again. Sometimes players say it takes almost two years to return to full form following such an injury.

Because of that, the Bills certainly could not only prioritize getting Wallace back under contract, Buffalo might re-sign him and bring in more depth as well. Cornerback is certainly a position to keep an eye on in the coming month.

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1

One issue I noticed all year, is Wallace is an unwilling tackler. Multiple times he gets washed out of the play being blocked by a WR, or taking a terrible angle (on purpose?) when a running or screen play comes to his side of the field.

I haven’t noticed the same thing with Tre, Dane Jackson, or Johnson.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That wasn't quite what he said. He said their 2nd round talents at corner had gone off the board and he wasn't going to reach for a guy because IF he reached for a guy and then he couldn't beat out Dane who had the advantage of a 2nd year in the system it would not be considered a good pick. 

To an extent he is right. I had four 1st round grades at corner and only two 2nd round corners last draft and they were all long gone before the Bills picked. 

I don't remember the "had the advantage of a 2nd year in the system" part.

At this time last year Beane was really talking up Dane Jackson quite a bit.    

They like Dane Jackson a lot.........I think for the most part he played as well as could be expected in White's absence...........and they see him as maybe more than just a system guy..........which is how I think they (rightly) view Levi.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't remember the "had the advantage of a 2nd year in the system" part.

At this time last year Beane was really talking up Dane Jackson quite a bit.    

They like Dane Jackson a lot.........I think for the most part he played as well as could be expected in White's absence...........and they see him as maybe more than just a system guy..........which is how I think they (rightly) view Levi.

I'd have to listen back but I was pretty sure he said that as a reason a drafted guy might not beat Dane out. I think they do like him. I like him as well. I just don't think you can let Levi walk, plug Dane Jackson in and say off we go. That room needs more talent. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have to listen back but I was pretty sure he said that as a reason a drafted guy might not beat Dane out. I think they do like him. I like him as well. I just don't think you can let Levi walk, plug Dane Jackson in and say off we go. That room needs more talent. 

This is totally right.

I would like both Wallace and Jackson and would happy with both on the roster next year, but I wouldn't be totally comfortable even with them back. The room needs more depth and talent - at least a veteran contributor or second day player in addition to our current guys.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd like to see them get more talent at CB.........but my rationale is more about them being more flexible/multiple on defense and making more plays on the football.    Which I have no reason to believe are priorities to Beane/McDermott.    If you are going to play mostly zone either way then elite traits at CB can be overkill/overdraft.

In this system one of Nick McCloud,  Cam Lewis or Olaijah Griffin might be able to step in and fill the role that Jackson did last year..........and Jackson replace Levi.    I also believe White will be back on opening day and play well next season.   Not likely as well as he was THIS season but better than Levi or Dane.  

I guess my take is they aren't any worse at this point than they seemed to be at this time last year when it was also assumed that Levi Wallace would sign elsewhere........and Dane was the next in line to start then.     I could see them adding a cheap vet like Richard Sherman to the mix and a late round traits guy like Josh Williams and calling it a day.    

7 - 7.5 is more likely solely because he hasn’t been injured so he is reliable. No one will be paying him 9-10 unless it’s a team whi will overpay because no one wants to go there like Houston or the Jags. 

Edited by Locomark

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Bill, perhaps the main reason the Bills lost to KC was because of physically limited corners who couldn’t keep up with the KC receivers. CB is a more important position than it was 20 years ago. The game has evolved.

It has evolved no doubt but if this team doesn't protect Josh they are through. 

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He was awful in the divisional game…. Had a good year though. They’ll be fine without him.

The whole back seven was awful in that game and several of the others had good seasons too.  They’ll be fine if they can adequately replace him. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Now on a SIDE NOTE.  I definitely would bring Hughes back at the projection SPOTRAC has on him at 3.3M AAV

I was wondering if this was in the cards.  We need depth there and that’s still a bargain for him. 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He did say this, sort of. The topic was why the Bills didn’t draft a CB in the second round instead of Basham, who almost never played. Beane’s answer implied that there wasn’t a CB rated as a second round talent available, and that to reach for one who would then end up playing worse that Jackson would be bad for the team and also that draft picks development, as he would be labeled a bust.

It sounded to me like a very lukewarm endorsement of Jackson. Basically, just that he didn’t totally stink.

Edited by vincec

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

They've viewed him as a starter the last two seasons, though, haven't they? Definitely this past season, at least. Last season (2020) they brought in competition for him (Norman), but they didn't really do that this year, did they (I'm asking sincerely)?

Has he started because the Bills thought he was a quality #2 CB, or because they've felt they could get by with him playing that role while they upgraded other areas that needed more urgent attention?

• Like (+1) 1

Been low key aware of this as I have suggested CB is the most important need position on the team.

A CB for the #1 pass defense in the league, who was able to hold down the #1 CB spot after an all-pro/pro bowl calibre CB goes out for 1/3 of the season is going to get paid.

I think Bills fans slightly underrate Wallace, and some teams & GMs will slightly overrate Wallace.

Feels a bit like the Josh Norman situation. May drop off a bit if he is asked to be a #1 CB out of McDermott's system, but at $9-10 million a year will find plenty of suitors. And honestly he has earned it.

I could see Buffalo using their #1 in a trade for an established CB like they did with WR and Diggs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.